Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
Infantryman11C
High Angle Hell

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Question for the techs

So last year I was in an accident where they had to replace the rear axle and left rear control arms. Since then I've had this pop coming from the rear end when I brake hard or launch hard. It's definitely audible. I've had it in the shop several times since and the one time they said my lower control arm was bent and replaced. Another time they said it was just how a sports car acts. It never did that before the accident. So I said whatever and I've just been dealing with it. Fast forward to today I had my car in the shop getting lowering springs installed along with a rear cradle bushing kit(which I thought might take care of the problem) the mechanics were taking apart my rear end and discovered that they could actually grab my right rear rotor and kinda shake it. Upon further investigating they found a bushing behind the rotor and brakes attached to the axle. According to them this bushing is "shot". But they didn't know what it was. So my questions are 1. What is this bushing? And 2. Will GM give me a hard time replacing it under warranty because I literally just installed my suspension today? I'm tired of dealing with dealerships because they never want to accept responsibility and want to blame it on everything but their failure to do a complete inspection of their own work

Brothers don't always have the same mother
Always remembered, Never forgotten
Infantryman11C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantryman11C View Post
So last year I was in an accident where they had to replace the rear axle and left rear control arms. Since then I've had this pop coming from the rear end when I brake hard or launch hard. It's definitely audible. I've had it in the shop several times since and the one time they said my lower control arm was bent and replaced. Another time they said it was just how a sports car acts. It never did that before the accident. So I said whatever and I've just been dealing with it. Fast forward to today I had my car in the shop getting lowering springs installed along with a rear cradle bushing kit(which I thought might take care of the problem) the mechanics were taking apart my rear end and discovered that they could actually grab my right rear rotor and kinda shake it. Upon further investigating they found a bushing behind the rotor and brakes attached to the axle. According to them this bushing is "shot". But they didn't know what it was. So my questions are 1. What is this bushing? And 2. Will GM give me a hard time replacing it under warranty because I literally just installed my suspension today? I'm tired of dealing with dealerships because they never want to accept responsibility and want to blame it on everything but their failure to do a complete inspection of their own work
I'm not sure which bushing they're talking about, but for warranty it would be up to the dealer. I would ask the shop to document that the bushing was bad, but having been in an accident they might not want to cover it for that either.

The reason techs don't like warranty work is usually because they're busy with non-warranty work which pays more. So if the dealership happens to be in a busier period you're more likely to get burned, or so has been my experience

Bushing could be control arm bushings? The rotor being able to move would usually mean that the wheel bearing is out, which might come as an entire hub assembly. Not sure I'd trust a tech who doesn't know what part he's looking at though
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote