Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
5th gen Cargo space

I wonder what the trunk space will be like for the new Camaro. That will play a big role in my purchasing decision. I sure hope its better than the non-existant cargo space of the 4th gen. One of the things that prevented from getting the 4th gen (other than price) was the practically zero trunk space due to the T-roofs. Will the trunk space be significantly greater? Will it have folding rear seats? I'm banking on that. I need the storage and cargo space for weekend getaways and such. That's where my Acura RSX is so handy and convenient. Its a small hatchback. But has a big trunk for a small car and when you fold the seats down, it has tons of space. I hope the Camaro offers the same.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
I wonder what the trunk space will be like for the new Camaro. That will play a big role in my purchasing decision. I sure hope its better than the non-existant cargo space of the 4th gen. One of the things that prevented from getting the 4th gen (other than price) was the practically zero trunk space due to the T-roofs. Will the trunk space be significantly greater? Will it have folding rear seats? I'm banking on that. I need the storage and cargo space for weekend getaways and such. That's where my Acura RSX is so handy and convenient. Its a small hatchback. But has a big trunk for a small car and when you fold the seats down, it has tons of space. I hope the Camaro offers the same.
Although I will certainly want a trunk that I can actually use, it will not be much of a deciding factor in my purchasing decision. I have the everyday go-getter for that. With that said, I certainly wouldn't expect more cargo area than the current GTOs, and even that may be wishful thinking. From what Lutz had been quoted as saying, the Camaro will use the short rear, short midsection, and long front section of the Zeta chassis...

As for the fold-down rear seats, if they stick with the 2+2 configuration they have now, i would doubt they will have a fold down design. That design just doesn't seem like it would work well folding rear seats, but I have no idea...
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
This is one area I'm really looking forward to. I hate not having a trunk. For example, if we leave our duty belt w/ gun, city radio, etc in our cars and it's broken into and the city stuff is stolen, we are held responsible for replacing our gear. How jacked up is that??? I mean...we leave it in the back seat covered up w/ a towel or jacket because there's no trunk. Some jerk breaks into OUR car damaging OUR vehicle and we get to pay for the cities stuff. It's BS if you ask me. Now, if we have a truck, it's a different issue. It's more difficult to get into and you can't see covered up stuff in the trunk. I'm not looking for a huge amount of space. I'm just looking for an area that I can stow away groceries, work stuff, etc. I think it'll do me just fine.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
rray200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Although I will certainly want a trunk that I can actually use, it will not be much of a deciding factor in my purchasing decision. I have the everyday go-getter for that. With that said, I certainly wouldn't expect more cargo area than the current GTOs, and even that may be wishful thinking. From what Lutz had been quoted as saying, the Camaro will use the short rear, short midsection, and long front section of the Zeta chassis...

As for the fold-down rear seats, if they stick with the 2+2 configuration they have now, i would doubt they will have a fold down design. That design just doesn't seem like it would work well folding rear seats, but I have no idea...

Wasn't one of the reasons they couldn't put folding rear seats in the GTO was because the gas tank had to be moved further forward to meet US safety regulations? I'm certain of it. Since the 5th gen is being designed from scratch, I would imagine there should be folding rear seats. I think GM has to provide a folding rear seat to appeal to people who will use this car as a daily driver. The Mustang has had them for years and as much as some F-body guys may hate me saying this, the Mustang is a way more practical and better daily driver car than the 4th gen ever was. That's why the Stang has survived and the F-body died. I mean your city equipment problem in the seat with your LS1 SS is a perfect example of the problems of not having trunk space. Now that I think of it, GM has to and will accomodate this part of the buying public. Maybe someone can drop Fbodfather a line on this subject and get more info.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
How exactly does the location of the gas tank have anything to do with folding rear seats?

I do agree that the Mustang is a much more practical daily driver than the camaro has ever been... that is why I was kind of hopeful for a more functional rear seat. I am not a fan of the 2+2 combination at all. I would much rather see a bench seat in the back, or at least some kind of design that allows some use out of that horrible middle hump. I know my yellow lab will not like that hump there at all.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Good thread.
I hope the rear seats fold down, they did on our '67, but that wasn't a popular option then

I think that is pretty much the norm these days, isn't it? At least a portion of the rear seat would fold down to accomodate cargo, etc.

I hope we see this on the Camaro
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
rray200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
How exactly does the location of the gas tank have anything to do with folding rear seats?
In the Holden Monaro/GTO, they had to move the gas tank up closer to the rear seats to prevent the car from exploding into a fireball in a rear collision (ala Ford Pinto). That's why the seats can't fold down, because the gas tank is blocking the path between where the trunk is in the GTO and any open space created by seats folding down.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
MaroMike

Drives: 2008 CHallenger SRT8
It just needs to be big enough to hold an after market sub, small cooler, and some detailing stuff.

Regards to All!!! Mike
Ludwig Classic Maple D/Bass Zildjian Overhead

AMERICA, Home of the Free, Because of The Brave
MaroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Not a big issue for me. If my crap can’t all fit in the trunk I’ll just use the back seat for the rest. Like the MOB, I’m not buying this car for trunk space.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
In the Holden Monaro/GTO, they had to move the gas tank up closer to the rear seats to prevent the car from exploding into a fireball in a rear collision (ala Ford Pinto). That's why the seats can't fold down, because the gas tank is blocking the path between where the trunk is in the GTO and any open space created by seats folding down.
That is the frist time I heard that about the gas tank.
I'm still having trouble picturing how the fuel tank would be in the way of the rear seats folding down forward

Unless the tank sat high enough to be between the trunk and the seat and I can't see that happening...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
MaroMike

Drives: 2008 CHallenger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I was all set to go out and buy a new Corvette last month since the Camaro is still two years away. Then I got to thinking of having no trunk and no rear seat. Figured I would just sell the Vette when the Camaro came out. But the Corvette market is so soft right now I would probably lose my A$$ in two years. That trunk and back seat is what has made me decide to wait for the Camaro. I hope it is usable space. Got to be better than it was in my 68 or 69 Camaro.

How many of you guys ever made out in the backseat of a 1st generation Camaro? Let me tell you it ain't easy! Guess I was alot more limber back then.
Dude, many times in the back, and front for that matter, of a Dodge Colt. :eek:

I win!!!!!
Ludwig Classic Maple D/Bass Zildjian Overhead

AMERICA, Home of the Free, Because of The Brave
MaroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
OverAnxious

I just did some searching on the fuel tank. It looks like the tank was relocated to the area between the rear axle and the rear seat footwell area, taking up some of that room where rear passengers would have their feet.
I still don't see how that prevented a fold down rear seat.

It sounds like the Monaro didn't have that feature from the start which would explain the GTO not having it

Speaking of this, that fuel tank relocation R&R more than likely contributed to the higher price of the GTO. I always thought the chassis was pretty much 100% carry over from the Monaro - so much for that
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #13
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
I read an article/interview with the lead designer on the 5th Gen and this subject was brought up. I cannot quote exactly but to summarize he said that the trunk space issue in the 4th gen was going to be addressed. To allow for this, he said that they were going to use a "split tank design" similar to the corvette???
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
It don't matter to me as long as I have enough space back their to put a set of 12in subs and make it sound good.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote