Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #43
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
I plan on going auto crossing a few times by the end of the year so that why I made that choice. But I'll probably swap to stock for now.
That's a great plan! If you ever get through the HP Plus set, you may want to try the Hawk DTC-30. It's technically a race pad, but works very well cold. They are even noisier than the HP Plus, but they stop like few pads can. I've almost shattered windows when testing them in my daily driver. But you'll be wiping snot off of the windshield when you stand on the whoa pedal, for sure!!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #44
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
That's a great plan! If you ever get through the HP Plus set, you may want to try the Hawk DTC-30. It's technically a race pad, but works very well cold. They are even noisier than the HP Plus, but they stop like few pads can. I've almost shattered windows when testing them in my daily driver. But you'll be wiping snot off of the windshield when you stand on the whoa pedal, for sure!!
Blacc Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #45
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
Don't forget to get some good high temp brake fluid.
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #46
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
I recently upgraded to brembos with dba 4000xs, and hawk hps plus and they are extremely loud, I'm thinking of trying stock ones for a while to rid the noise
Well I didnt go for the ceramic because they dont work well in our claimte, and turn to cause a loud sound!

and I didnt go for the HPS plus because I dont go on tracks, so I went with the HPS street ones with dba 4000 rotors. Hopefully the run easy on those rotors!!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #47
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Sure
Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #48
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
OK...
so which Pads are better then OEM (Rear) GM Pads ($350 CDN)($204 US)($133 GMPARTSHOUSE)...I'm an aggressive stopper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
I'd get just some OEM replacement pads. I wouldn't upgrade the rear pads without also upgrading the fronts to keep the balance good. If you have an AutoZone nearby, maybe try Duralast Gold DG1337, $50 a pair in the states, for the rears and DG1404 $100 for the fronts. They are Ceramic. Or semi metallic MKD1337 $43 and MKD1404 $84. And have the rotors deglazed.
Thanks
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #49
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Quote:
Do not mix fluid types though. Even if you drain your stock fluid reservoir and the lines there is residual fluid that if mixed with the wrong DOT rating will create goo in your brake system and it is a PIA to get cleaned out. Read what comes stock in your car and then what other DOT ratings are compatible and choose wisely.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #50
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
Do not mix fluid types though. Even if you drain your stock fluid reservoir and the lines there is residual fluid that if mixed with the wrong DOT rating will create goo in your brake system and it is a PIA to get cleaned out. Read what comes stock in your car and then what other DOT ratings are compatible and choose wisely.
You are right!

GM recommends DOT3 fluid and this type doesnt mix with DOT4 or 5.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #51
JohnZ

With changing the brake fluid, isn't that just a matter of flushing the system completely? When my friend changed his brake fluid, he flushed all the old stuff and a half liter of the new fluid to ensure there was no residual fluid.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #52
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
With changing the brake fluid, isn't that just a matter of flushing the system completely? When my friend changed his brake fluid, he flushed all the old stuff and a half liter of the new fluid to ensure there was no residual fluid.
Unless he used a TECH II tool to cycle the ABS pump there is residual fluid. Using the 2010 Corvette program and following the sequence that shows on the TECH II cycles the ABS pump so a fluid change can be made. As long as you are using a compatible brake fluid this is not necessary. If you are upgrading fluid the extra step is important.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #53
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Unless he used a TECH II tool to cycle the ABS pump there is residual fluid. Using the 2010 Corvette program and following the sequence that shows on the TECH II cycles the ABS pump so a fluid change can be made. As long as you are using a compatible brake fluid this is not necessary. If you are upgrading fluid the extra step is important.
Let's not forget the 2-year rule. If the brake fluid is over 2 years old, it needs to be replaced regardless if it is an upgrade or not. Since brake fluid is hygroscopic (readily absorbs moisture), it's boiling point drops over time. Early 2010's are coming up on the 2 year mark, so let's be sure to put a brake fluid flush on the next complete service schedule!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #54
JohnZ

What is a TECH II tool ? where do you get one?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #55
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
I think that this is a GM scanner.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #56
Chris_B

Quote:
Right, it's the old GM scan tool. Now replaced by the MDI. They are available all over, but a subscription to get all the GM goodies and latest coding is required. You're looking at several thousand dollars in total, or go to a shop that already has one (we do!).