Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
Flowmaster Axle Back on a V6 vert?

I am looking at getting the Flowmaster Axle Back for my V6 convertible, however I find conflicting information on my searches as to whether or not they will fit.

Example taken from the post on the thread SLP Loudmouth II and Verts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Vert or hard top? Axle or cat-back?

I spent all day trying to fit axel back FM on a vert... ain't happening.
I have also read that the FM Axle Back fits the coupe (V8?) but for the vert, they won't be releasing one that fits for another 2-3 months. (This is info obtained from this site, not FM directly.) Yet I have found other posts that imply other V6 vert owners have installed the FM axle backs.

So if I am keeping stock everything else, with the addition of a Roto-Fab CAI, will the FM axle back fit on my V6 vert...... or not.....??

Hoping someone out there has experience with my particular specs and can answer this question?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by PETRA; 06-12-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: I babbled. Had to modify. :-)
PETRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I need to find that quote you pulled from me- it was a CAT BACK system I tried installing that failed. I sincerely apologize for the misleading post, that definitely should have read cat-back, not axle-back.

However... I am STILL searching for the proper exhaust for my car so I have become quite the self- educated expert on this...

As for Flownaster (I exchanged bi-weekly correspondence w a FM R/D rep on this Mar-May)... currently, the American Thunder Cat Back NOR Axle Back systems will fit, due primarily to the large rectangular mufflers being obstructed by the center mounting piece and the angled braces. If you look back at post 9-10 on my build thread, you will see detailed pictures, as it stands, they don't fit, nor do they align with the mounts properly. Now, on the other hand, there is someone on this forum that had a set of Flowmaster HUSHPOWER axle-back system installed. That system utilizes a round canister like muffler, similar to a Borla. Also, even installing this system appearantly involved some tweaking at a local muffler shop, not an at-home bolt on. Keep in mind, if you check Flowmasters demo video, there's a distinct sound difference between the 2 systems.

Soooo.... to answer your question, it is possible to get the Flowmaster Hushpower system on, however NOT the American Thunder. And for some reason, some companies list the HP system as a AT axle-back, however I can tell you there are 3 systems that I have seen- AT cat-back, AT axle back and HP axle back.

Personality, I've got the pix at a local shop that has all the necessary equipment to build a custom exhaust, they're going to determine if they can fit the 3" AT cat back on my car by bending and reforming some of the system... keep u posted on whether that's a go or not.

(Just re-read your post, and realized your fitting a V6... all my info is relative to a V8)
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Are you sure you want to do this? I put Flowmasters on my V6 Mustang, and it sounded like a ricer. Nothing like my V8 Mustang with them. The whole idea was to make it sound good, and it did not. Regretted it for a long time.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Are you sure you want to do this? I put Flowmasters on my V6 Mustang, and it sounded like a ricer. Nothing like my V8 Mustang with them. The whole idea was to make it sound good, and it did not. Regretted it for a long time.
I heard this as well. My dealer's service director told me there's a bunch of people installing aftermarket exhaust on the V6's and they tear them off right away for the same reason....sounds like a souped up Camry. I haven't heard one yet, however I am told it amplifies the exhaust note to irritating levels. He told me that the dealerships install them and un-install them at record pace. This after I was looking into doing the same thing with my wife's V6. He told me that I'd hate it.

Hate to say this, but the best sounding V6 exhaust I've heard to date comes from the manual tranny Hyundai Genesis Coupe track series. Test drove one when they came out for the heck of it and that sound was very deep and pronounced, like a small V8. If I could find that sound I'd bolt it on in a heartbeat.

It's going to take some R&D to get the right sound out of this engine for sure.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
The best sounding for a v6 is the solo Mach cat back. Great sounding and no drone. Had it on my coupe and now my vert ! No ricer sound and no drone! Remember no V6 will sound like a V8. But this is the best I have seen and heard !
Old 10-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Don't know how they'll fit on the verts, but I've heard a Gibson which sounded GREAT (better than some V8 aftermarkets) and even a V6 muffler delete sounded surprisingly good...
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
kenredconvert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1Lt RS red convertable
FlowMaster axle backs for V6 convertable

I purchased a set in early October had had a local garage install them with clamps instead of welding them. Good thing because the convertable has the rear cross bracing that the coupe does not have. So, in order to get the pipes that go from the muffler towards the engine to clear these braces, we had to shim the double rear mounting bolts. This caused the braces to drop 1-1/4 inches below the stock position. Yhis caused instability in body. Also, the flowmasters were way to loud. I had them on my 2004 GTO and enjoyed them, but on the convertable, not so much. I couldn't hear my radio. I finally after two weeks took them off and put the factory units back on. Anyone want to buy a slightly used set?
kenredconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenredconvert View Post
I purchased a set in early October had had a local garage install them with clamps instead of welding them. Good thing because the convertable has the rear cross bracing that the coupe does not have. So, in order to get the pipes that go from the muffler towards the engine to clear these braces, we had to shim the double rear mounting bolts. This caused the braces to drop 1-1/4 inches below the stock position. Yhis caused instability in body. Also, the flowmasters were way to loud. I had them on my 2004 GTO and enjoyed them, but on the convertable, not so much. I couldn't hear my radio. I finally after two weeks took them off and put the factory units back on. Anyone want to buy a slightly used set?

Kenredconvert – We’re currently offering kits for the V8 convertibles only, so you must have been installing mufflers instead of an axle-back kit. Which Flowmaster mufflers did you have the shop install? Did you record video of the sound?

A less aggressive system for the convertible is the Flowmaster Force II exhaust system.

Last edited by flowmann; 11-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.
flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
kenredconvert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1Lt RS red convertable
Flowmaster axle backs on 2011 v6 convertable

I purchased the Flowmaster 817483 axleback system that I was told worked on my 2011 v6 convertable. They were not advertised as just mufflers.
kenredconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Kenredconvert

The Flowmaster 817483 is definitely not made for a V6 or V8 convertible. As you found out, those mufflers on that Axle-Back kit are too large to fit the convertible braces. We’re very surprised somebody would tell you those would fit.

The Flowmaster Axle-Back 817506 is the quietest and largest muffler made to fit with the convertible braces. For sound, they are designed to work with the V8 models. We’re still working on more kits for convertibles.

flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote