Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
Some brake related questions

Preparing to prepare for the upcoming driving/track season with the new ride!!! Reading up on brake fluid flush procedures, which is provoking more thoughts... A bit of a re-post from another post which didn't get any responses, except from Norm. Cheers Norm!

1.) Looking for the part number for the Motive cap to fit our cars. I already have a Motive bleeder system, just need a valid part number for the M/C cap I should be using.

2.) What's the latest opinion on the "Tick clutch speed bleeder"?? Some seem to love it, some seem to hate the design. Seems a PITA to install, but seems the most convenient way to flush the clutch fluid... Seems like the jury is out regarding a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid, based on the threads I've read. Both sides of the argument seem valid. Have read and understood the "Ranger" method of extraction/replacement, which I've used on other vehicles. There should be a clutch bleeder built in...

3.) Stainless Steel brake lines. Another item I'd have thought would be already in the car. I suppose I'll need/want some of these?? Do you have a favorite vendor?? Notice less deflection with braking vs. the stock lines?? Anyone reportedly blow up their stock lines yet?

4.) I see the Tech2 is seemingly used to "trigger/flush?" the ABS system of fluid while bleeding?? Besides a dealer flush/exchange, what are my options without this unit? Looking to upgrade to Motul vs. just exchanging fluid.

5.) I've read and understand the brake bed procedures for the street and track. One lingering question about the track procedure: Is this to be done only the first time to the track, or every time to the track?? If I read into the procedure a bit, I'm interpreting it to read "Hey, don't be a dumbass the first session of the day, get some material on those rotors before you go crazy!" Probably good advice regardless of the answer.

6.) I've just installed my Subaru BRZ gas pedal extender for better heel/toe. Can't wait to try it out! However, wondering if those 2 screws that are holding the thing to the original pedal are adequate given the side load that pedal might experience?? I screwed the thing onto the original pedal, in the black rubber pads as others seem to have done. A drop of blue loctite applied to each screw. Anyone experience any problems with the pedal coming off/loose??

7.) Most of my searches on how-to's, and these questions, have been limited to this sub-forum. The parent forum for this site is scary with too many options for my brain to want to stay there for long. A couple of searches in the other DIY forums reveals too much non-Z/28 chatter that is hard to wade thru, given some of the major differences in our cars. So, here's my question: Is this sub-forum the best place to search for Z/28 how-to's or should I be looking elsewhere? Do (or can) we have our own DIY sub-forum that I'm not seeing??

Thanks for entertaining my questions.
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Dixon Racing

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot
I can help with a few of these:

3.) I would definitely suggest stainless steel brake lines, my go-to is Goodridge. There is a noticeable difference over stock. You can get them here:
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/goodri...-zl1-gdr-12227

It would also be a good idea to upgrade your pads while you're in there. This is only if you are going to be tracking it more than driving on the street. I went with G-Loc pads:
https://www.jpssonline.com/p-58-2014...-by-g-loc.aspx

5.) This is done only on new pads, after they are bedded then they are good to go. After that, all you will have to do each track session is warm them up.

6.) Those two screws should be plenty, I haven't seen anyone have problems with them. Soon Ill install one of my own in my car as these stock pedals are way too thin!

7.) I've found this sub forum to be the best, I also check out the track/autocross and ZL1 forums.

Hope this helps!
Dixon Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
Hooks112

Thanks Casey!

Anyone else have input??
Old 02-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks112 View Post
Thanks Casey!

Anyone else have input??
I can give you the best advice with respect to pedal conversions to master Heel toe in these cars. Buy yourself the Autoblip unit! I wasted so much time between my C5 Z06 and this car trying to master Heel Toe and I was pretty good at it. I finally bit the bullet and installed Autoblip and it is by far the best mod Ive done to this car as of yet. It works perfectly every time it never screws up. No more flat spotted tires. I also heard they may have a "plug and play" version by now that connects to the OBD2 connector so you dont have to use the wire taps that I used. Just my .02
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
1erMQP

Drives: 15 Z/28 #605
4.) During pedal or pressure bleeding without a Tech2 please ensure that
your system is never running out of fluid.
Once you're getting air in the sytem you'll never get it propper bleeded
resulting in a long pedal.
To get an dry ABS unit propper bleeded you have to trigger the valves
in the ABS unit. That's the job of the Tech2.
1erMQP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
tylerio
EXTREMZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #891, 2012 2SS 45th Anni
Another vote for auto-blip here. Makes life on the track so much easier. Heel-toeing this beast is dicey due to the pedal placements. Seems as though I would blow a downshift once (or more) per session, which would kill my lap time at best, or , at worst, tempt me to brake while cornering ( always a bad idea).
JPSS Oil cooler
JPSS SAI plates
JPSS Rear sway bar
Forza Continenti exhaust controller
ZL1 Add-ons wickerbill
Brey-Krause Harness bar
Schroth 4 pt. ASM harnesses
Auto-blip
tylerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I will add that I do bleed my clutch with the stock bleeder, its tight but you can get up there to reach it with 1/4" ratchet and socket, messy yes as most of the fluid runs into bell housing but flushing out with brake clean after is what has worked for me, did it the same way when I had the ZL1 and this is on the lift which makes it much easier. The speed bleeder I have seen pros and cons on so for now I have just stuck with the stock bleeder, I do have the trans out now for lighter flywheel install so maybe I should revisit this.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Preparing to prepare for the upcoming driving/track season with the new ride!!! Reading up on brake fluid flush procedures, which is provoking more thoughts... A bit of a re-post from another post which didn't get any responses, except from Norm. Cheers Norm!

2.) What's the latest opinion on the "Tick clutch speed bleeder"?? Some seem to love it, some seem to hate the design. Seems a PITA to install, but seems the most convenient way to flush the clutch fluid... Seems like the jury is out regarding a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid, based on the threads I've read. Both sides of the argument seem valid. Have read and understood the "Ranger" method of extraction/replacement, which I've used on other vehicles. There should be a clutch bleeder built in...

I've fitted a remote bleed line to the engine bay. 1000% easier. I don't believe a separate reservoir is necessary.

3.) Stainless Steel brake lines. Another item I'd have thought would be already in the car. I suppose I'll need/want some of these?? Do you have a favorite vendor?? Notice less deflection with braking vs. the stock lines?? Anyone reportedly blow up their stock lines yet?

I've just fitted braided steel lines from HEL. I found my front passenger side OEM rubber line to be slightly damaged on removal! Haven't tracked the new ones yet but looking forward to an improvement in pedal feel

7.) Most of my searches on how-to's, and these questions, have been limited to this sub-forum. The parent forum for this site is scary with too many options for my brain to want to stay there for long. A couple of searches in the other DIY forums reveals too much non-Z/28 chatter that is hard to wade thru, given some of the major differences in our cars. So, here's my question: Is this sub-forum the best place to search for Z/28 how-to's or should I be looking elsewhere? Do (or can) we have our own DIY sub-forum that I'm not seeing??

This is the best place, and very friendly

Thanks for entertaining my questions.
Also, I don't necessarily agree with the brake pad change advice, I find the stock pads to be awesome. I can trigger ABS easily on a front 325 hot sticky Trofeo R from 140+ mph down to 40mph again and again with no fade. What is one hoping to gain from upgrading pad material? The tyre is the limit at this point! If you are running race slicks maybe different story.

Something else I want to address at some point - the bulkhead supporting the master cylinder flexes under hard braking, you can see it during a manual bleed. I want to brace it somehow, possibly to the strut towers, I just haven't had a chance to fabricate anything up yet.

cheers,
Patrick
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
Hooks112

Thanks for the input everyone.

Not sure about the auto-blip yet... Half of my mind is saying "that's cheatin!", the other half is saying "so what!!"

Still looking for your input on a couple of questions please:

Motive M/C bleeder cap that you are using for your Z/28?

What are my options for replacing brake fluid without the Tech2 (or dealer) to activate the ABS passages??
Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
JTRATX

Drives: 17 SS 1LE, 14 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone.

Not sure about the auto-blip yet... Half of my mind is saying "that's cheatin!", the other half is saying "so what!!"

Still looking for your input on a couple of questions please:

Motive M/C bleeder cap that you are using for your Z/28?

What are my options for replacing brake fluid without the Tech2 (or dealer) to activate the ABS passages??
I have the motive bleeder, works great, just buy the cap for GM, I don't remember which one it is I've had mine for years. Just call them if you can't figure it out.

No need to bleed the ABS for a brake fluid change, just suck out the old in the reservoir and add new fluid and bleed with the motive. I bleed mine 2-3 times a year this way.
JTRATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
ZapperZ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE 2022 GMC AT4 HD
You will be happy
With AutoBlip
ZapperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
I use the Motive 108 Bleeder Kit that comes with the 1108 adapter for bleeding my Z28 brake master cylinder. I also have a 1109 adapter for bleeding the GTO remote clutch reservoir..
craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
Hooks112

Reply from Motive Tech support regarding the correct cap to use:

"If threaded the 1100 and 1109 will work. if it has three tabs on the underside the 1108/1118 will work"

Seems that the 1108 is the correct cap, per the CraZed post - thanks!

Tags
brake bleed, brz, motive, tech2