Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
PyroLT

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LT
New Weld Wheels were scratched during tire install?!

Finally was able to get to a shop to have a set of MT tires put on some Welds and I thought everything went fine. The guy got the tires on without to much trouble and I saw no marks on the face of the wheel.

However, later that night I pulled them out of the car to clean them up and immediately after turning them noticed marks all around the wheel barrel.

Name:  IMAG0774.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  90.4 KB

This is the worst one where it actually gouged into the metal some. The others are marred up directly behind the spokes and they have marks where you can see the machine clamped the metal and bit in.

I've had this shop install many tires before and had no issues, considering how much these cost I'm kinda upset to see this. Is this something that is normal on a wheel like this? Since the marks are on the back of the wheel should I even bother calling them about it?
Performance: Overkill Supercharger, VMAX ported throttle body, JacFab Intake and Spacer, VTC Throttle Controller, ARH Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Res-X, Stock Resonator Delete, MRT V1 Axle Back, Solo J-Pipes, E85 flex fuel, MRR 228 20x10 and 20x11 wrapped in MPSS,

Cosmetic: 15% Tint on side Windows 5% on back, LED fogs, SS bumper conversion, de-badged, Z28 front grill, Eagle Eye headlights, HID conversion, VIS terminator hood, Red LED sidemarkers with 5% tint.
PyroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Some things don't need worrying about.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I would not call but go back and show them...minimum would be an apology and maybe some $$ back or off of any future visits...and while most likely just cosmetic I would still be PI$$ED if that happened to me...Welds ain't cheap! good luck!
Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Damaging the any wheels when installing tires is never "normal", it's operator error or the machine they used or both. You have every right to be upset. They are responsible for the damage. They should make it right.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
JMI

Drives: Red Jewel Camaro SS
Well, any damage wouldn't be acceptable for sure. But if it's only the inside,I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe drop by and tell/show them to prove that you would prefer to have the wheel back the same way as they received them. In perfect condition.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
PyroLT

Thats sorta what I was thinking as well. Seems like a tire shouldn't be that hard to put on a wheel that you have to marr it all up.

I ended up calling them yesterday, as they are an hour in the other direction from where I live, and spoke to the head tech as the manager was off apparently. He is supposed to discuss this with him when he gets in today and then call me back.

It's looking like they might take the responsibility for it, so now I'm just waiting on them now.
Performance: Overkill Supercharger, VMAX ported throttle body, JacFab Intake and Spacer, VTC Throttle Controller, ARH Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Res-X, Stock Resonator Delete, MRT V1 Axle Back, Solo J-Pipes, E85 flex fuel, MRR 228 20x10 and 20x11 wrapped in MPSS,

Cosmetic: 15% Tint on side Windows 5% on back, LED fogs, SS bumper conversion, de-badged, Z28 front grill, Eagle Eye headlights, HID conversion, VIS terminator hood, Red LED sidemarkers with 5% tint.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
PyroLT

Brought one of the wheels back by the shop and as it turns out they had just replaced some part on the tire machine used to mount mine. The ring around the back was apparently not actually scratches on the wheel but some on the metal/materiel that came off the new part. The tech hit it with a buffer and it polished right off.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroLT View Post
Brought one of the wheels back by the shop and as it turns out they had just replaced some part on the tire machine used to mount mine. The ring around the back was apparently not actually scratches on the wheel but some on the metal/materiel that came off the new part. The tech hit it with a buffer and it polished right off.
Yeah, those plastic shoes will leave residue. Glad there wasn't any damage!
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote