Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #15
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
I'm sure Pat is great.. it is why he is soo busy but you will get virtually instant response and support with Steve.. That is priceless to have someone with his years of motorsports experience, knowledge and tools to help you dial in your setup just like the others. Just saying.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 AM   #16
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
I respect that alot of guys like dynosteve but let me just say that ive taken my car to 4 different tuners over the past 6 years that everyone clained was "the best" or "great" and every car ive been in that pat has tuned just overall drives better and makes better power....
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
I did pay 25 dollars and have not got a recommendation yet, its been 8 days. I'm thinking I am not going to get one anytime soon or at all. Kinda sucks!
If you paid Pat then you will get what you paid for. Believe it or not, guys with great reputations like Pat do get busy, especially with many big racing events going on. Be a little patient..........it will be worth it.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #18
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
I spec'd my own cam and already ordered it. CamMotion said one week it will be ready to ship.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #19
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Specd it yourself? Sounds kind of sketchy but if you knew how why didn't you in the first place?
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #20
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I'm still confused and I don't think anyone answered my question. Are people paying JUST to get a recommendation on a cam?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #21
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
I'm still confused and I don't think anyone answered my question. Are people paying JUST to get a recommendation on a cam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Yep, you fill out a questionnaire, he sends you specs, you send the specs to whoever is grinding your cam.

https://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft-help
post #13
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #22
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
Specd it yourself? Sounds kind of sketchy but if you knew how why didn't you in the first place?
Doh! quoted wrong post.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #23
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
Wait, you paid to JUST get a recommendation?
Yes, I see nothing wrong with giving an expert $25 to take his time to review a detailed description of your car and intended uses to then receive a cam recommendation based on their experience. At that point you may or may not choose to buy with them.

In my case I was looking keeping as much low speed torque as possible even it meant giving up some on the top end. Also kind of adamant that I wanted "softer" cam motion lobes (ie a cam that had some lope but was also easier on the valve train than say an LSK/XFI lobe - and less sewing machine sound). After much back forth, Pat answered all of my questions and I decided to go with the TSP endurance lobes. He never seemed put out to answer my questions and didn't try to guide me toward TSP over Cam Motion. I consider it $25 well spent. To some my cam may seem small compared to what most supercharged cars on here are running (say BTR stage III range) but Pat assures me it will meet what I am looking for. That is not to say he is the only one, there are many great cam makers and tuners that can guide you in the right direction.

With my turbo ford's first engine I used Cam Motion's recommendation service and was very happy with the cam for that 383W. Added up Kip easily spent over an hour on the phone with me and explained the advantage to setting up a little less intake centerline that what would have been if installed straight up in my particular application.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #24
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Still seems strange to me, but that's just my opinion. Did you ask all the Cam manufacturers their opinion on the matter? If not, how come?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Pat G doesn't sell cams so he charges a fee for his consulting. I assume places that also sell cams would spec them for free because they are selling a cam out of the deal.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #26
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Sure, but I bet there are alot of places that would recommend cams even if they aren't selling them. :P

Case in point, I asked Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware how much they would charge to install 3.91 gears and they said they wouldn't recommend it. Logically, why would a business turn down work like that?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #27
TXM62SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ATX View Post
I respect that alot of guys like dynosteve but let me just say that ive taken my car to 4 different tuners over the past 6 years that everyone clained was "the best" or "great" and every car ive been in that pat has tuned just overall drives better and makes better power....
What he said. Pat spec'd my cam and tuned it after install. He is worth the wait. As others have said, he is very busy because he is much better than the guys that spend all day advertising. Get it done right the first time.
Roto-Fab, Bo White TB, Borla Touring Catback
3.91 1LE Gears, MGW
Tuned by Pat G

TXM62SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #28
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:
Yes, all builds are different and Pat takes all your details into consideration on the cam specs. Then you go to Comp or Cam Motion and they build and sell the camshaft for you.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote