Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
noisy TR6060

even after new clutch installed under warranty my trans is hard to shift until warmed up. i can deal with that.. but after warmed up the tranny is noisy. GM says it's normal and they demonstrated it on 2 other new cars that had less than 100 miles. evidently it's because of the lubricant being so thin. mustang gt guys are having similar issues.
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
rb

Drives: silver '11 2SS LS3
HeaterMan,
I'm curious about what kind of noise you're getting from your transmission. My new SS LS3 Camaro is only a few weeks old with about 800 miles on it. I've noticed that it seems to make a slight clunk or rattle noise when driving at very slow speeds (like in a parking lot) when I push the clutch in and release the torque and let the car coast. It's like it's coming from the output shaft or maybe even the driveshaft u-joints. Everything seems to work fine, I just really don't like that noise it makes sometimes. Is the noise you're talking about anything like this?
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Mine makes a rattling type noise when warmed up and in neutral with the clutch out. Push in the clutch, the noise disapates. I called Tremec on this and the said this is normal. The clutch is not stock and doesn't have "dampers" like the stock unit. This, according to Tremec, transmits the engine pulses more and cause even more noise. The gears must have more clearance between the teeth because the T56 in my 99SS didn't do this. No problems other than the noise.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
mine does exactly the same thing. also makes the rattly noise under light load in first and second gear.
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
rb

HeaterMan, Cam 427,
Thanks for the input, makes me feel better that this isn't just happening with mine. I wonder if switching to a synthetic lube like Royal Purple or Red Line might help. Seems like a good, high quality synthetic would be better and help this problem. I'd try that if I knew for sure there would be no warranty issues using it. I'll investigate it more before I try it.

And hey, great color choice on your cars!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Cam 427

I heard both sides of the synthetic story. Some said it helped and some said it didn't. I would think it would not because the viscosity will be about the same. But it's a better lubricant, worth using even if it didn't fix the noise. I plan to use a synthetic when I change the fluid. The Tremec rep recommended using Mobile One synthetic trans fluid, which I've yet to find.
Looks like we have good taste in colors and cars!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
OK I'm going to end the "Silver streak" with my RJT! Anyway, I tried Mobil1 and it didn't help, infact, made it worse! So I went back to GM stock fluid.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
OK I'm going to end the "Silver streak" with my RJT! Anyway, I tried Mobil1 and it didn't help, infact, made it worse! So I went back to GM stock fluid.
HA! I knew this wasn't just a Silver car problem. But hey, I just ran across this on another thread concerning using the Mobil1 synthetic ATF in manual transmissions. It came from member Eric Baker. I think he may have shed some light on this subject. Good catch Mr. Baker!

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._Synchros.aspx
Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Cam 427

I heard about this, way back, about synthetic fluid being too slippery for synchros. It's true that the synchros rely on drag to work. Too little drag may cause a delay in gear alignment and may also result in in grinding if you force the shifter hard.
I used a 50% mixture in my 99SS and it seemed to work normally with no issues.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
I've just brought my car in a second time for this exact issue - I've got <300 miles on it so far. It started around 50 miles or so. Between first and second gear, sometimes between second and third there's a loud rattle that can be heard and felt. I thought it was the exhaust bumping up against something but that's been eliminated. It happens more often when cold, frequently when going up hills. At the dealership this morning I brought the tech with me, my advisor could hear it from 10 feet away. Even in just first gear - let out the clutch, start to engage the gas and then press the clutch in again (as if you would want to move forward just a few feet). Sounds like a ball bearing being shaken in a tin can. They stated that it's normal, and others on the lot do the same thing. I've had alot of manuals over the years and it's very annoying, and is getting worse over time. I'll be watching this thread closely for other's input.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
piticu667

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
I've just brought my car in a second time for this exact issue - I've got <300 miles on it so far. It started around 50 miles or so. Between first and second gear, sometimes between second and third there's a loud rattle that can be heard and felt. I thought it was the exhaust bumping up against something but that's been eliminated. It happens more often when cold, frequently when going up hills. At the dealership this morning I brought the tech with me, my advisor could hear it from 10 feet away. Even in just first gear - let out the clutch, start to engage the gas and then press the clutch in again (as if you would want to move forward just a few feet). Sounds like a ball bearing being shaken in a tin can. They stated that it's normal, and others on the lot do the same thing. I've had alot of manuals over the years and it's very annoying, and is getting worse over time. I'll be watching this thread closely for other's input.
Welcome to the club
piticu667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
nickconthejob
nickconthejob

Drives: 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD a
Glad to hear its normal.......I guess. I had mine out today for the first time. Slight clunking when down shifting or clutching in at slow speeds. It sounds like its real bad but seems to shift ok. I have the factory installed hurst. Its nice and tight.
nickconthejob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #13
dk818

Drives: not yet
i have noticed the same rattling noise when i let the clutch out. i just bought the car with 700 miles on it, didnt sound normal to me.

if i pop the clutch out fast i can hear something rocking back and forward, do any of you experience the same?
dk818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk818 View Post
i have noticed the same rattling noise when i let the clutch out. i just bought the car with 700 miles on it, didnt sound normal to me.

if i pop the clutch out fast i can hear something rocking back and forward, do any of you experience the same?
I don't hear the sound of something rocking back and forward. The problem has extended to clutch engagement, clutch release, and is now audible and can be felt while in gear unfortunately (to a lesser degree but it's still present).