Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
LED Side markers

Ok I have decided to order a set of led side markers for my black 2ss. I have priced them already from AAC. I was thinking black and tinted. I was not sure on the tinting however. I was afraid they would not show up bright at night.

Also, how reliable are these? I would hate to order them and they fill with water, or burn out in a few months. I had this happen with a company called RECON. I was ready to go after the owner due to a piss poor product that faded to yellow, and burned out in about a year.

So please if you have led side markers, let me know all you can, the good the bad, and the ugly. Vendors please sway me to your side so I can get them ordered.

I am sick of looking like the guy down the road, I want the cool stuff in lighting.
2010 Camaro Black with White Stripes, Jannetty Racing Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, GMPP Axel Back, Emblem Pros Custom "VOODOO" Under hood Bow tie, Chrome Gill Inserts, HUD plate, Sparks Performance White SS front and rear Plate MPD-1 Spoiler
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
fugimo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS ABM
I currently have the AAC side markers and they are tinted, the tint is not dark like you are thinking, they are more of a shade of tint so that you do not see the LEDs when the lights are off. I have also tied the side markers into my turn signals, so they actually work as blinkers when making a turn. They are plenty bright enough, even with the tint and reduced lighting so they can blink when they are suppose to.

I have had them on the car for about 9 or so months and have not had any problems with them, except when I miswired one up wrong and only three of the middle LEDs did not light up, but once I corrected the wiring, had no problems at all. Have not had any water get into them as they are sealed like the factory ones and the hole I drilled into the back of them, I used silicon to block that hole.

All in all, I am very happy with them and get compliments on them all the time. You really can't go wrong with these.
Injen CAI
AAC lighting (Foot well, trunk, interior, RGB Halos, Plasma DRLs, V2 scanner, side markers)

Last edited by fugimo; 05-12-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: correction in typing
fugimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Here are a couple of pictures of my Black Camaro with the AAC Painted & Tinted Sidemarkers.
Attached Images

Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
do the OEM ones just "pop" off and these(AAC) snap into place with plug and play wiring?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks for the fast feedback. When you wired them into your turn signals did you supply the wiring, or was it an extra harness?

I may order these in the morning. Does it take long to get them? I got a pm from AAC today so I was happy for the fast pm.
2010 Camaro Black with White Stripes, Jannetty Racing Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, GMPP Axel Back, Emblem Pros Custom "VOODOO" Under hood Bow tie, Chrome Gill Inserts, HUD plate, Sparks Performance White SS front and rear Plate MPD-1 Spoiler
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Correct, you just pop out the stock ones and pop these in... thats all there is to it!

Instructions are included.
I've been looking at these for a while but I have a question about the rear ones. I've been hit twice, once in each rear wheel which means the rear bumper has had to come off a few times. On the driver side the rear bumper piece isn't totally flush with the rear quarter panel anymore, right where the side marker is, the bumper buldges out a little bit. Looking at that image it doesn't look like there's any clips on the markers themselves, or are they just hidden by the foam? If I could buy these and knock that problem out that'd be awesome, but if it's the bumper clips that are busted I'm going to have to find some other way to fix it..

EDIT: I'll see if I can get a picture of this when I get home today, horrible weather though so it might be tough.

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
I installed a set of painted AAC side markers 3-4 weeks ago and loved the look of them. After 2 car washes I noticed 3 of the 4 have condensation inside of them and one has 2 blowen LEDs. I contacted Jonathan via PM and he told me to remove them from the car, ship the blowen one back to him for replacement at my cost. I'm suppose to open up the others using a razor blade, let them dry out and then reseal them using a silicone caulk.

If there was a problem with one I could understand but 3 out of 4 should not happen with a product that has been around for awhile. So now I have to go back under the car to remove the new ones and replace them with the stock ones then do it once again once I get my replacement back from AAC. Since it's my responsibility that the part gets to AAC I'm going to have to ship it insured with a tracking number. The cost to ship from Canada to LA will probably be around $30.

Almost every mod I've bought for this car has had a problem, this one is no exception.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
I installed a set of painted AAC side markers 3-4 weeks ago and loved the look of them. After 2 car washes I noticed 3 of the 4 have condensation inside of them and one has 2 blowen LEDs. I contacted Jonathan via PM and he told me to remove them from the car, ship the blowen one back to him for replacement at my cost.
Ooog! This makes me think twice about them. I'm glad I read this.

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Tom D

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT
Same here. Sure would like to hear what AAC has to say about that. Glad I didn't order yet.
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Can't give you a review yet. Ordered on 4/22. Still waiting.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
I think there is a miss understanding here I've had no issue with any promblems that occured with my AAC stuff so I find it hard to belive they are not going to take care of you!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
I installed a set of painted AAC side markers 3-4 weeks ago and loved the look of them. After 2 car washes I noticed 3 of the 4 have condensation inside of them and one has 2 blowen LEDs. I contacted Jonathan via PM and he told me to remove them from the car, ship the blowen one back to him for replacement at my cost. I'm suppose to open up the others using a razor blade, let them dry out and then reseal them using a silicone caulk.

If there was a problem with one I could understand but 3 out of 4 should not happen with a product that has been around for awhile. So now I have to go back under the car to remove the new ones and replace them with the stock ones then do it once again once I get my replacement back from AAC. Since it's my responsibility that the part gets to AAC I'm going to have to ship it insured with a tracking number. The cost to ship from Canada to LA will probably be around $30.

Almost every mod I've bought for this car has had a problem, this one is no exception.

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Here's mine!!!
Attached Images

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
Here's mine!!!
Off topic. Love those wheels.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Honestly, I can't speak on the product yet, I just installed them, but I will tell you they are not as simple as "Popping" the old ones out and putting the news ones in. You need to get behind the wheel well and unscrew the cover and then reach up and push it out in the back. The front's you just need to remove the wheel well cover and push it out, but it is not simply popping them out. I put one in and The piece that snaps it into place just decided to break when I put it in not even pulling it out which is when it actually might break. They are a horrible Company when it comes to backing up their products, so I will tell you it's going to be a hit or miss you may not have issues or you will have many and regret it, but If it means anything I would say go with the Showstopper ones they are a little more expensive, but they make use of the OEM piece and do not have the moisture issue. I spent $150+ on these Sidemarkers and I can already tell after one day I will be investing in Showstopper ones in the near future.