Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Tonys10SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Some of the Cali guys like VR Baron have made some decent gains with JBA high flow cats and shorties. With a tune 32rwhp. The advantage of the shorties are that they are CARB legal and you won't have to spend the time and money to remove them. High flow cats can be r&r'd in about an hour or so. Long tubes with the matching cats and long tubes would take much longer and r&r'ing the long tubes with the stock manifolds and cats is labor intensive. I would do the dyno and get a trans tune before you do gears. You may be satisfied with the results.
The shorties do not bother me and CARB legal portion is a good thing. I just think that if I am going as far as putting headers with high flow cats on then I might as well go 100% and go with LT headers. Obviously not to do something stupid on the street to get noticed but I will have to see my options. As far as a cam, is there anyone in California that has put a small cam in that gives a boost in power but not too crazy of a lope because that will for sure get noticed.
Tonys10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #16
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
My understanding is that the new Cali smog laws for 2000 and newer vehicles are not going to require a sniffer test. They will be doing a visual and maybe plugging into the OBD2 port. As far as a cam goes I would talk with a reputable shop that works on Camaros.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
My understanding is that the new Cali smog laws for 2000 and newer vehicles are not going to require a sniffer test. They will be doing a visual and maybe plugging into the OBD2 port. As far as a cam goes I would talk with a reputable shop that works on Camaros.
Some shops used to only do sniffer tests. Now that only visuals are necessary they will be emphasized. They'll see I have no mufflers!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
Some shops used to only do sniffer tests. Now that only visuals are necessary they will be emphasized. They'll see I have no mufflers!
Mufflers may not be a smog issue only a noise issue. You have a 2014, so you don't have to worry about smog for another six years.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
Guess I'm happy I've never been pulled over for that, and that I have lots CHP friends who are customers

Is it 7 years now? Thought it was 5... hmm.

7 years as far as I know, wires Camry just got the first smog test only required on the registration and its a 2007 model we bought new in 2006
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonys10SS View Post
The shorties do not bother me and CARB legal portion is a good thing. I just think that if I am going as far as putting headers with high flow cats on then I might as well go 100% and go with LT headers. Obviously not to do something stupid on the street to get noticed but I will have to see my options. As far as a cam, is there anyone in California that has put a small cam in that gives a boost in power but not too crazy of a lope because that will for sure get noticed.
not true.. the CHP officer noticed me because of the sound of my exhaust..

I wasn't speeding, I wasn't doing anything illegal, in fact I was sitting at the red light on the off-ramp and she was behind me, I accelerated from the light and she lit me up because of the exhaust note.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
not true.. the CHP officer noticed me because of the sound of my exhaust..

I wasn't speeding, I wasn't doing anything illegal, in fact I was sitting at the red light on the off-ramp and she was behind me, I accelerated from the light and she lit me up because of the exhaust note.
Shoulda told her to prove you were passing the 95db limit; if she couldn't you woulda been free to go! My friend is a motorcycle cop and told me my car sounded badass. Luckily most of the cops in my area are muscle car fans and only pull over ricers ~ win win

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #22
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Shoulda told her to prove you were passing the 95db limit; if she couldn't you woulda been free to go! My friend is a motorcycle cop and told me my car sounded badass. Luckily most of the cops in my area are muscle car fans and only pull over ricers ~ win win

yeah, as I said she pulled out a mirror, looked under the car and said please step out and pop the hood.

I could have chose not to, and then she would have impounded the car..

sometimes you just have to play the game.. I learned a long time ago, don't argue with the officer, it is not their job to interpret the law, only enforce it.. If you want to fight it you do it in front of a judge, in this case it was a no win situation for me, and it could have been much worse if I chose to argue the point with a power crazed female officer on the side of the road who was bored enough to pull me over for loud exhaust..

I know she was sniffing for something else, and was disappointed when she saw a fat grey haired old man behind the wheel.

I have some CHP friends, they wouldn't touch it because it was refereed..

it's not just a ticket, it is an offense under the CA SMOG REFEREE PROGRAM, which requires a whole different inspection and certification.

CA can and will take your vehicle if you modify the SMOG crap and you get caught and cited and do not correct it.

it's not to say you won't get caught, it is a crap shoot.. I did get caught and I won't go down that route again.. Luckily I kept all my OEM parts, but it cost me close to $3000 in labor to get the car back to stock.. Not worth the trouble.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #23
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
yeah, as I said she pulled out a mirror, looked under the car and said please step out and pop the hood.

I could have chose not to, and then she would have impounded the car..

sometimes you just have to play the game.. I learned a long time ago, don't argue with the officer, it is not their job to interpret the law, only enforce it.. If you want to fight it you do it in front of a judge, in this case it was a no win situation for me, and it could have been much worse if I chose to argue the point with a power crazed female officer on the side of the road who was bored enough to pull me over for loud exhaust..

I know she was sniffing for something else, and was disappointed when she saw a fat grey haired old man behind the wheel.

I have some CHP friends, they wouldn't touch it because it was refereed..

it's not just a ticket, it is an offense under the CA SMOG REFEREE PROGRAM, which requires a whole different inspection and certification.

CA can and will take your vehicle if you modify the SMOG crap and you get caught and cited and do not correct it.

it's not to say you won't get caught, it is a crap shoot.. I did get caught and I won't go down that route again.. Luckily I kept all my OEM parts, but it cost me close to $3000 in labor to get the car back to stock.. Not worth the trouble.
See now your making me second guess my decision to get LTs lol. I already got SLP Loudmouth 1s and a cold air inductions CAI, both of which violate CA laws...I'll just keep my stock stuff handy and hope if I ever get pulled over its a fix it ticket.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
SS PANTHER

Quote:
See now your making me second guess my decision to get LTs lol. I already got SLP Loudmouth 1s and a cold air inductions CAI, both of which violate CA laws...I'll just keep my stock stuff handy and hope if I ever get pulled over its a fix it ticket.
An axleback and a CAI are inexpensive and easy to put back to stock. LT's with the matching out of location cats, combined with a tune, which, should be done with headers is an expensive fix if you get caught and have to go to the trouble of fixing it. I agree with Mr. Incredible about the LEO's. If your speeding or your car sounds too loud they can do what they want and you will have to waste your time and money to prove that they were wrong. I don't think it is worth it. Cali is in deep trouble and LE is writing more tickets. Look at the verdict in Fullerton ironically. Can't trust a lot of them. Again, just my opinion.