Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
45TH RS

Drives: 2012 45TH 2LT RS
Absolutely not ... Don't take it through a car wash with tracks! Nothing good will come of it! Also, as previously mentioned, touch car washes in general lead to scratches!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Cookie Monster
Belle Isle

Drives: 2014 1LE
Thx for all the responses!!!! They're very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBR View Post
There is a pretty good TOUCHLESS car wash on Dequindre south of 10mile, if that is close for you.
I'd have no problem driving there, less than 10min away. Maybe even faster if I go I696. What is touchless exactly? Seems to be what everyone recommends if I can't do it myself. I'm assuming it doesn't have a track for the tires.

Credit to xVengeancex28
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
One word: NO. Wait until its 45 + degrees out, and take a bucket and wash your car. You could find a coin op do it yourself car wash, but again it depends on the temperature.

A conventional car wash and the conveyor may scratch your rims (someone posted earlier this year on what happened with their zl1 in a car wash).

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I live in an apartment and don't have access to hose and driveway unless I go to a buddies house or a family members.

I do car washes often as a starting point.

I go through a touch less up the street to get the major stuff off. Then I drive home and do the adams waterless wash followed by a coat of adams detail spray.

I also typically spray the wheels and any bug spots prior to the car wash.

This gives you the best of both worlds.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
Just say NO!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
Thx for all the responses!!!! They're very helpful

I'd have no problem driving there, less than 10min away. Maybe even faster if I go I696. What is touchless exactly? Seems to be what everyone recommends if I can't do it myself. I'm assuming it doesn't have a track for the tires.
Touch less = exactly how it sounds! nothing touches your car! no tracks no brushes. It's just high pressure water. They aren't the best but it will get you to the point where you can finish it in your garage.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I was at a dealer in indy (penske) the other day, and they still had a 2013 1SS 1LE car for sale that they had obviously run thru their car wash. It has two spots on each of the front rims where the paint was chipped off. Plus the passenger side front tire had a chunk missing out of the side wall, looked like the missing hunk had been pinched off... not cut. I feel your pain its getting cold now. I hate to think how I am going to wash it now, but I did see the warning tags when I bought it. I guess they aren't kidding, it will damage the rims.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Touch less = exactly how it sounds! nothing touches your car! no tracks no brushes. It's just high pressure water. They aren't the best but it will get you to the point where you can finish it in your garage.
This.

There is an $8 gas station car wash down the street from me. It is completely touchless. I'd use something like that and then come back home and dry/detail it.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #23
Cookie Monster
Belle Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I was at a dealer in indy (penske) the other day, and they still had a 2013 1SS 1LE car for sale that they had obviously run thru their car wash. It has two spots on each of the front rims where the paint was chipped off. Plus the passenger side front tire had a chunk missing out of the side wall, looked like the missing hunk had been pinched off... not cut. I feel your pain its getting cold now. I hate to think how I am going to wash it now, but I did see the warning tags when I bought it. I guess they aren't kidding, it will damage the rims.
That's reason enough. Not even worth trying
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
This.

There is an $8 gas station car wash down the street from me. It is completely touchless. I'd use something like that and then come back home and dry/detail it.
Sounds like a winner. It's not too dirty. Most dirt/dust is from rainy days with left over dirt, and rock chips/dirt balls on the side. I'll be alright. Thx again my fellow Camaronies

Credit to xVengeancex28
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #24
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I've built and designed hundreds of car washes through the years. I'm still in the business. If you "love" your car do it by hand. "Touch-Free" washes use very harsh chemicals to clean since they don't touch the car. They also use reclaimed water to save on water bills. Reclaimed water can be very nasty.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Milkdudd

Drives: Saturn XR V6
CM, the "quarter car wash" on harper and bon brae (about 10 and a half mi. rd.) has foam that comes out of a broom like device if you select it. Mop it down with foam, then spray the foam off using the high pressure. Just look at the brush first to confirm no grit on it (iv'e never seen dirt on one myself).
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #26
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
No. Wheels will chip.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Cookie Monster
Belle Isle

What about changing oils?
I'm a few 100 over the 1500mile break in period
Should I use my one-time free engine oil change now? Or wait till after storage? Or do both and change it now and immediately after storage?

Credit to xVengeancex28
Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #28
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
I used to go to a self serve on a Sunday night when it was dead so i could do a a full detail in the bay. When i was done the car looked amazing considering the tools i had to work with. Only thing that touched my paint was microfiber towels.