Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Carmine SS
Just Livin' the Dream

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS
Dry Start (oil) ?

I recently traded in my 2011 LS for a 2011 SS, and have only had it a couple weeks. I noticed it had a dry lifter tick for a few seconds when I first start it, so I did an oil change with the recommended Mobil 1 (not sure what the dealer used when they did it, but I wasn't taking any chances). It didn't really help, it still ticks hard for a few seconds upon start. I only drive it once or twice a week. I'm going to drop it off at the dealer later this evening so it can sit overnight and they can duplicate the problem, as it is still covered under drivetrain warranty. Any info anyone can offer on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Carmine SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine SS View Post
I recently traded in my 2011 LS for a 2011 SS, and have only had it a couple weeks. I noticed it had a dry lifter tick for a few seconds when I first start it, so I did an oil change with the recommended Mobil 1 (not sure what the dealer used when they did it, but I wasn't taking any chances). It didn't really help, it still ticks hard for a few seconds upon start. I only drive it once or twice a week. I'm going to drop it off at the dealer later this evening so it can sit overnight and they can duplicate the problem, as it is still covered under drivetrain warranty. Any info anyone can offer on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Greetings Carmine SS,

Any updates you can provide regarding the service diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. We're here if you need additional assistance so don't hesitate free to message us privately if necessary.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
These engines tick, especially at start up and is usually nothing to worry about, it's when it continues there could be a potential issue. From what you are discribing I personally would not leave it at the dealer overnight, they'll most likely going to tell you it's normal.

2 things that will help:
1- Dump M1 and go with something different. Pennzoil Platinum really helps to quite these engines.
2- Do not use 8qts of oil. These engines seem to like it better when you use about 7.5qt's, some even run with 7qt's

Last edited by nyrfan; 07-25-2013 at 02:29 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
These engines tick, especially at start up and is usually nothing to worry aobut, it's when it continues there could be a potential issue. From what you are discribing I personally would nto leave it at the dealer overnight, they'll most likely going to tell you it's normal.
Thats exactly what happened to me even after I showed them the technical bulletin... Some cold starts are louder than others and no matter how loud mine only lasts 2 or 3 seconds. Left it at the dealer overnight and they could not reproduce it on cold start. But sure enough three days later it happened again. I don't think its a big problem since its random and only a few seconds when it does happen but since I went to the 2" TSP headers I can hear more valve train noise even when up to temps...
Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Carmine SS
Just Livin' the Dream

I don't recall if it ticked on start up when I test drove it. It's every time I start it, even if it's only sat for 6ish hours. It had a fresh oil change when I bought it but I doubt they used synthetic. So we changed it. I had read that cheap oil filters can cause it but it's been two weeks since we changed it and it still ticks on every start. My husband is a master mechanic and he recommended I have it looked at since it is under warranty. My previous 5th gen Camaro was a V6, so I'm not familiar with what quirks these V8s have. Even if they can't duplicate the problem, which I am 99.9% sure it will do after sitting overnight, I have it on video from the last time I started it.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I run 8 quarts of Mobil 1. I do know that youl leak oil if you put more than 8 in it lol. Dealer put 8.8 in thinking it was a l76 I guess since that's what they call for but I've changed it since the first oil change and never had a problem since.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, seriously.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
mobil 1 is bottem dollar oil sold as otherwise. upgrade oil first (something not dyed to save warranty) and see if that fixes it. amsoil and gibbs offer true synthetics with extra antiwear materials
Old 07-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
First startup lifter tick is typically caused by the oil draining out of the head. A better oil filter will help with that. There are many oil filter comparisons floating around the net. Basically, Fram SUCKS, Mobil 1 filter isn't a whole lot better. Purolator Pure 1 is one of the better, easily available filters. They are sold at Advanced auto, if you want to try one out. Your oil brand won't really matter with lifter tick. That's not to say that you should be running good oil though. I've heard that M1 extended performance is considerably better than the regular M1. I just used Penzoil Ultra with this oil change. We'll see how it goes but I doubt anyone could tell a difference between any of better synthetics, on a bolt-on car.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Carmine SS
Just Livin' the Dream

There seems to be some differing opinions about the legitimacy of Mobil 1 oil and filters. I find the fact that GM reccommends it to be rather telling, but I am not adverse to buying a better product if it will offer better protection for my car. I have previously used Amsoil and Royal Purple, and I don't mind spending a little more if its truly worth it. Not to say Mobil 1 is cheap, but its not the most costly either. I would love to hear more suggestions.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
There seems to be some differing opinions about the legitimacy of Mobil 1 oil and filters. I find the fact that GM reccommends it to be rather telling, but I am not adverse to buying a better product if it will offer better protection for my car. I have previously used Amsoil and Royal Purple, and I don't mind spending a little more if its truly worth it. Not to say Mobil 1 is cheap, but its not the most costly either. I would love to hear more suggestions.
Working at a track and detailing cars, I found mobil 1 badges, stickers, etc under the hood of mercedes, porsche, ferrari, bentley, and rolls, etc.

I always figured, if those cars come with mobil 1 from the factory, then shit, it must be good.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
At one time, M1 was 100% synthetic but they changed the formula for whatever reason and didn't make it widely known. My 10 SS has M1 on the cap but I've heard that GM has since taken it off. There are now other oil's that are pure synthetic and supposedly better. I do see that the extended performance version says 100% synthetic now. Penzoil makes at least two versions that are pure and both are the same price as M1. Valvoline also has at least one pure version. V also has a version that has lots of stuff that extends the life of head hardware. I've heard horror stories about RP. I have no idea about Amsoil but I tire of the distributors showing up in every forum I'm in.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Carmine SS
Just Livin' the Dream

Thanks for the info. My 2011 calls for Mobil 1 as well. I may continue to use it on that premise. Here's an update on what happened:

I dropped the car off Thursday evening. I played the recording for the writer, who acknowledged it was excessively loud. They started the car 12 hours later and then 8 hours after that. They reported there was no excessively loud tick. I picked up the car Friday evening.

Saturday I drove it, there was no discernable tick upon starting saturday morning. I thought that was odd, as it does it almost every time. I thought perhaps the oil change was helping. On Sunday though, the loud tick for a few seconds was back. Today, I started it again and not only did it tick loudly for about five seconds, but it continued to tick noticeably for about three minutes. This was the first time the tick did not go away almost immediately.

My concern is they will keep the car for days without duplicating the issue. I'm also concerned about exacerbating whatever issue it has if it isn't addressed.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
Is it L99 or LS3?

Mine is L99. And it had the same symptoms as yours. The AFM lifters always tick. Specially when you start the car after some spirited driving. And kept changing them.

I did L99 to LS3 conversion just to get rid of this problem.

Anyway you can use some heavier oil and see if it continues to tick.
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote