Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #57
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK350S10 View Post
they are much better than the 2009 Acura TSX we have. Shift is quicker and seem more comfortable to me.
This...

I test drove the A6, and found it very responsive and about as close to the BMW SMGs as possible. I have a TSX currently and I have been rockin the Tiptronic since Day 1, Min 1 and Sec 1 of that cars ownership
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #58
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
I bought a L99 thinking the joyment of tap shift would satisfy my need of punching in gears. It doesnt, wish I got a manual. And no, Im not getting rid of my car just because of that - I still love it!
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #59
SRM
New England Daily Driver

Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
I bought a L99 thinking the joyment of tap shift would satisfy my need of punching in gears. It doesnt, wish I got a manual. And no, Im not getting rid of my car just because of that - I still love it!
No doubt the stick is much more fun than the auto. I've driven sticks all my life, 20+ years.

However, I decided for this car I would get the auto, and have no regrets. This is my daily driver and as you know, a stick sucks in traffic.

But I went back and forth for the *longest* time trying to decide: stick or auto, stick or auto...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #60
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Wow, this thread really is a disappointment.

If I had to drive my Camaro every day, I would have gone with the auto in a heartbeat. Regardless, I really think that GM< did a pretty good job with the Tap Shift system. We have to realy keep in mind this isn't a megabuck Ferrari of similar level of vehicle.

When you put it in that perspective, it works quite well for the general populace who can afford to buy one of these.

It's all a metter of taste and perception.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #61
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
My paddle shifters lay dormant. I look down and see the +/- and just kinda giggle.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #62
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyteMamba View Post
yea im not headin to a chevy dealer to hop into a malibu, why would a malibu have paddle shifters anyways.
Comes in handy when going up or down steep grades. Like last week when I used them in a Suburban going up and back down Pikes Peak.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #63
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
If you don't like them just rewire it to the radio volume control..
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #64
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
Its just the same as +/- shifters on a console. Just a switch in a different spot. Its not really even paddle shifters. F1 level ferraris, paddle shift, Open class rally cars, paddle shift. These are just buttons. It is a cool idea and I drive Lexus/Infinitis with it all the time. Nothing wrong with them. But its not really a paddle shift its an upshift/downshift circuit There is a difference.
I agree, it should not be called paddle shifts in the Camaro brochure.. Shift buttons perhaps.. That is the main reason I got the M6. A true paddle shifter stays in the same place when the wheel is turning making it easier to use and more responsive. It is more difficult being on the wheel and pressing a button while doing high speed turns.. Just my opinion..
Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #65
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
I ereally don't use mine, only for fun. When I am "racing" I can't shift as fast and accurate as the car itself can so why bother!?!? The paddle shift is fun to use and I really like the throttle burp each time you down shift.
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #66
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I agree, it should not be called paddle shifts in the Camaro brochure.. Shift buttons perhaps.. That is the main reason I got the M6. A true paddle shifter stays in the same place when the wheel is turning making it easier to use and more responsive. It is more difficult being on the wheel and pressing a button while doing high speed turns.. Just my opinion..
Paddle shifters are generally mounted to the wheel and move with it so you do not need to relocate your hand. The Camaro just has a terrable location for tiny buttons instead of a true paddle. Lets hope someone (PLEASE) makes a clean AM setup.
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #67
petman
Proud IBM Owner

Drives: 2010 1SS-RS
complete loss is correct... I never seen the person that started the thread say what his issues are...? wish I knew, would'a made for a good thread. otherwise be happy!!!!!!!

My Baby, 1SS/RS Auto
petman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #68
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Relax. It's a Jeremy Clarkson avatar yet again hating on any, and all "Flappy-paddle" gearboxes.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #69
orlandoguy

Drives: G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdono View Post
Paddle shifters are generally mounted to the wheel and move with it so you do not need to relocate your hand. The Camaro just has a terrable location for tiny buttons instead of a true paddle. Lets hope someone (PLEASE) makes a clean AM setup.
Thanks for getting the actual point of this thread; the "they work" response is the most inane thing I'be ever read - really? They "work"? Shocked!
orlandoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #70
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
It is not called "paddle shifts" in the Camaro brochure. Every piece of literature they I have or got with my SS calls it a Tap shift transmission. You tap the buttons for up shifts and down shifts. I love mine. For dragracing, I put it into M for sport and let it shift itself. Get whatever transmission that you want. That is what I did. Boston traffic sucks with a stick shift.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote