Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
V6 take 6 quarts as opposed to 5 quarts....??

Just left my dealership and had the oil changed for the fist time on our 2LT RS. Went with Mobil 1. Factory calls for 5 quarts but the dealer said it ended up taking right 6 quarts. Can anyone verify this who changed their oil in their V6? I find if kind of odd that the and factory calls for 5 quarts and the dealership said at 5 quarts the stick was hardly touching the oil so he had to add another quart to bring it to full status. Is it common for what the factory calls for or says and what it really in-takes to be off?

Thanks!!

Last edited by DCJ; 07-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.
DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Hmm... I've noticed that it is off a bit sometimes, but not by a full quart... More like a half-quart at most.

Maybe they were just trying to rip you off?
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
If you look in your owners manual, factory calls for 6 quarts on the V6 for an oil change with filter.
(At least my manual says 6 qts. in the fluids capacity chart))
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
If you look in your owners manual, factory calls for 6 quarts on the V6 for an oil change with filter.
Ah, that explains it. I don't have a car yet, so I can't look in the owners manual.
- X

Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
(At least my manual says 6 qts. in the fluids capacity chart))
That explains it....I appreciate that very much. I was going by what their computer said the factory called for but was about to pull the booklet out and check. He pulled up GM's system when I was standing there and said it called for the 5 qts but then when I picked it up said it took a tad over 6 qts. Good to know this and that the booklet actually says 6 qts. Thanks for the verification. I was going by what the system said so their system must be off compared to the booklet and actual in-take.

BTW....Wow, synthetic oil is expensive!! I am used to the cheap stuff...lol. When my V8 gets here, it will be even more expensive ugh Still worth it though! No doubt true about the break in period. My wife and I have roughly 1400 miles on the 2LT RS and I would say over the last 100 miles or so, the car feels like it has really picked up power!! Pretty cool stuff!!!

Thanks again!!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ View Post
That explains it....I appreciate that very much. I was going by what their computer said the factory called for but was about to pull the booklet out and check. He pulled up GM's system when I was standing there and said it called for the 5 qts but then when I picked it up said it took 6. Good to know this and that the booklet actually says 6 qts. Thanks for the verification. I was going by what the system said so their system must be off compared to the booklet and actual in-take.

BTW....Wow, synthetic oil is expensive!! I am used to the cheap stuff...lol. When my V8 gets here, it will be even more expensive ugh Still worth it though! No doubt true about the break in period. My wife and I have roughly 1400 miles on the 2LT RS and I would say over the last 100 miles or so, the car feels like it has really picked up power!! Pretty cool stuff!!!

Thanks again!!
I've never really found Synthetic to be that expensive - how much did they charge you for it?
- X

Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I've never really found Synthetic to be that expensive - how much did they charge you for it?
- X

Hmm...Think my total bill was around $75 to $80 for the Mobil 1 and filter change. I was thinking the difference was the synthetic and paying for the Mobil 1 name. Does this sound about right?

I am used to taking my Yukon to the local lube and paying roughly $45 but for the cheaper oil and overall oil and filter change.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Hmm...Think my total bill was around $75 to $80 for the Mobil 1 and filter change. I was thinking the difference was the synthetic and paying for the Mobil 1 name. Does this sound about right?

I am used to taking my Yukon to the local lube and paying roughly $45 but for the cheaper oil and overall oil and filter change.
I don't know about paying other people to do an oil change because I always do it myself, but I pay about 7 bucks a quart for full synthetic, which is just a few bucks more than what dyno oil goes for here.
- X

Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
DCJ

Quote:
I don't know about paying other people to do an oil change because I always do it myself, but I pay about 7 bucks a quart for full synthetic, which is just a few bucks more than what dyno oil goes for here.
- X
Yeah that sounds about right then on my total bill with labor. It is highly possible that I will be changing my own oil from here on out depending on how busy I am with work when it comes time to do it...
Old 07-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

I find oil changes to be like car washes. And any other time spent with the car, for that matter.

You make time.
- X

Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
does changing you own oil void your warrenty?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
does changing you own oil void your warrenty?
No. The Supreme Court ruled that Auto manufacturers can not require you to return the car to their dealership for maintenance in order to keep the warranty in effect. You just have to be able to prove to them that the maintenance has been done, if there is a warranty claim.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
DCJ

Quote:
I find oil changes to be like car washes. And any other time spent with the car, for that matter.

You make time.
- X
Yes you are right... I need to make the time to do this. I told my wife I would only have one expensive hobby when I decided to get these Camaros for us, so I sold off all my other toys(highend watches)......might as well go full pledge in it and do my own oil changes....if I can remember how to lol It has been years since I changed oil in any vehicle but with both our Camaros, I really want to do it myself. Just want to make sure I don't mess it up. Need to get the right equipement or racks to get under them. Any suggestions for a novice DIYer?

Last edited by DCJ; 07-09-2009 at 11:32 PM.
DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yes you are right... I need to make the time to do this. I told my wife I would only have one expensive hobby when I decided to get these Camaros for us, so I sold offf all my other toys......might as well go full pledge in it and do my own oil changes....if I can remember how to lol It has been years since I changed oil in any vehicle but with both our Camaros, I really want to do it myself. Just want to make sure I don't mess it up. Need to get the right equipement or racks to get under them. Any suggestions for a novice DIYer?
Park car, pull hand brake, jack front of car up andnplace on Jack stands, put drain pan under plug, remove plug, let oil drain, pop hood locate oil filter remove plastic cap with attached oil filter, pull old offnput new on replace I to housing and tighten, go under car remove full drain pan wipe away drainage hole and replig tightning to spec then head to top remove oil filter cap pour in 6 quarts of oil replace cap Jack car back up remove stands lower car release brake and start car am enjoy. Btw close hood and make sure car is off while changing!
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote