Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Luvpilot

Drives: GM
Suspension guys..Issue after Eibach install

I installed the Eibachs a few days ago and I'm having an issue, hoping some of you experts can chime in.

2SS\M6

In sweeping higher speed corners I'm getting an intermittent rubbing\grinding type noise from the rear while under throttle. The rear end feels like it's trying to step out, or something is shifting around, and I get the noise. If I let off the gas it goes away but if I stay on it the rear will step out, then snap back into the line, then step out again, over and over.

It feels like something is binding up back there under load, releasing, then binding again. It's pretty damn abrupt when it does it. Entire car does this weird shimmy thing through the corner. Occurs with TC on or off, and the tires aren't spinning. And it's not just momentarily loosing traction.

Under straight line hard acceleration the tail end is squirming around pretty good as well. Car tracked straight and true with the stock springs. Maybe just a function of the springs and unrelated to the above issue?

I looked at the info from this thread before the install
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=52487&page=2

Once the springs were in I loosened the bushing bolts, put the tires on, took it off the jack stands, gave it a few bounces, and re tightened. Front then rear. I didn't do the rear camber bolts thinking I'd have the alignment tech do those.

I originally thought it was due to not having an alignment but I got one today and I still have the problem.

Took the rear tires off tonight, got under it and rechecked everything. It's all tight and seated properly.

Align specs.
Front...
Camber L & R 0.00
Cross Camber 0.00
Caster L& R 6.6
Total Toe .18

Rear..
Camber: L\-.08 R\-.09
Total Toe .53 he said that's as close as he could get it

So...Any ideas?
Is something lose and I missed it twice?
Bushings binding up?
Tech didn't get the rear adjusters loose enough and I'm binding up there?
Crappy alignment?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Luvpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
halfshaft issue?
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
From my experience rebuilding my 68 GTO rear end, should the springs sit inside perches with an insolator on top a specific way? Maybe you dont have the springs seated quite right? I know when I did my GTO everything would fit and line up just fine but if I rotated the springs and line up with the perch notch it fit even better.

Just a suggestion as I know the "alignment notch" on the GTO was about 1/2 inch which would be enough to throw play into the back under load and accelleration like you describe. Mind you I havent seen the Camaro so I am speculating.

Cheers
Kinley
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
i have the same car with same springs installed and havent exp this. Did you get an alignment done? car drove horrible before alignment was done.
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
did you do the trimming on the bump stops?
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Luvpilot

Alignment done

No trim on the bumpstops
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
You may want to ask this question in the suspension section. I am very interested in the answer as I was about to pull the trigger on the Eibach spring and sway bar package. Ed M.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
One thing i see is your rear tow is out more then i run on my car i run a .13 out, That may help or not.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Your alignment is terrible!!. Why are you at 0 camber in the front? You need to get your toe fixed in the rear.

What wheels and tires do you have, Are they rubbing? You should check to see if everything is tight. and make sure nothing is rubbing on the parking brake cables.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #10
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
I have the Eibach 1" drop springs on mine.Had an alignment done the same day.I plan on re-checking the alignment again in a few weeks. Since i also have much wider wheels(11.5 w/305/35/20's) in the rear, i had to adjust the EBrake cables to prevent rubbing against the wheels. At first i started to hear a minor rubbing noise and after the rubber insulator was worn thru to the metal braiding it produces a VERY bad sound...metal on metal....usually when cornering due to body roll.Other than this EBrake cable issue i have had ZERO problems with my car & drop springs.I have NOT cut the bumpstops on mine.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Luvpilot

Stock wheels and tires
No rubbing from tires or e-brake

I realized the alignment was crap when I got a chance to look at it and compare factory specs. It's getting redone.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
At this point it might be a good idea to take it to a Chevy dealer or a reputable suspension shop and have them take it for a test drive then go thru everything. May be something simple which could cause damage in the long run if not fixed properly now.Spending a little $$$ now may save you from spending big $$$ in the long run.Good luck!

BTW....Dont know if this is even possible but can the V6 springs fit a V8? What PN were the springs? I have seen things mis-labeled before.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
+1 on the Terrible alignment, get it aligned by someone that knows a bit more about alignments
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Can i ask you in what city you are at? If not to far may be i cand see it and help?
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote