Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Camaro EMT
10,060 Miles as of 06/21

Drives: ‘10 2SS/RS, ‘17 Colo ZR2, ‘98 Tahoe
Lucky 7

My 2010 SS turned seven today. So far the car has been trouble-free, although I'm thinking I should probably replace the OEM battery. I can't imagine that it has too much life left, even with only 9,350 miles (not a DD). The tires are also holding up well and still have good tread left on 'em but I'm not sure if they could have dry rot. Visually, they aren't exhibiting any sidewall cracks. Any thoughts other than I should drive the car more?
"All bleeding stops eventually." Camaro EMT

Patient: “This is my first time in an ambulance.”
Me: “Mine too.” LOL

Camaro EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Your Camaro must be in showroom condition at that mileage. Great choice in color!
Good thing you live down south, that seven year old battery would probably not make it through the snowstorm forecast for the Northeast today.
My Son's 2009 Cooper has 24,000 miles on it, also with the OEM tires, some slight cracking in the sidewall's outer cover surface.
Does not do much highway driving and lots of tread left.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
damn I have 7600 on my 2014 and I thought I had low mileage. :O Drive that sucker!!
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Only way to know about the battery is to do a load test to measure its volts and the load % remaining of CCA (cold cranking amps) 765 CCA when new. Get a battery analyzer or take it a garage to be tested. At a minimum Volts should be 12.4 and CCA should be >60%. If they're at or very close to those nbrs when fully charged the battery is nearly at its end of life (as Dirty Harry said " are you feeling lucky today?") and should be replaced soon.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
My Camaro is 8 in July and I still have the original battery in it. I did get it tested when I fired it up for the first time this year and it is showing signs of age. Next year I will likely be forced to replace it, but as of right now it still starts without any problems.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Only way to know about the battery is to do a load test to measure its volts and the load % remaining of CCA (cold cranking amps) 765 CCA when new. Get a battery analyzer or take it a garage to be tested. At a minimum Volts should be 12.4 and CCA should be >60%. If they're at or very close to those nbrs when fully charged the battery is nearly at its end of life (as Dirty Harry said " are you feeling lucky today?") and should be replaced soon.
Great advice! Spot on....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote