Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
CoV

Drives: 2010 SS IOM & 99 SS Black 6M's
Exclamation New Camaro worries about paint etc.

I waiting for delivering of a new IOM 5th gen Camaro and I am so paranoid and worried already. I thought that I would share with you SOME of my worries and my situation. *** (sorry if I seem all over the place, it has been a long day.)

Currently have a 1999 4th gen that has 150k miles on it, I drive daily. I live about a mile down a hilly gravel road out in a rural area. The car is black and it is impossible to keep it looking clean. I got it with about 103k miles on it. It was stolen, wrecked, and repaired. Good drivetrain but the paint was never anything nice.

I am stressing / paranoid about every possible situation.... Stuff like :::keeping the paint looking good. Is some idiot going to vandalize it. Meeting idiots on the gravel. Dust / dirt / rocks from the gravel roads. Dealing with parking lots. Thinking that I will not want to let the new car out of my sight. My pitbull chewed / tore a hole in my 4th gen drivers side front clip going after a chipmonk or squirrel that once went under my hood.

I typically try to go ~10mph, occasionally up to 20 with my 4th gen on the gravel road.

My girlfriends family has a ton of cats that would definitely be all over a car as they have my 4th gen. So I cannot imagine bringing a nice 5th gen over to where she is currently living.

Luckily I do have a place in the garage that I am going to keep the new car and am going to expand carport area where I work to keep it out of the direct sun.

I envy those who do not have to take their cars on gravel :( Hopefully Inferno Orange Metallic will look cleaner than my old black car and that the paint holds up.

I plan on driving the 4th gen still, especially on bad weather days mud/rain, etc. Dunno how long that I will be able to minimize my driving of the 5th gen though.

I just don't want to imagine my new car getting into the shape of the 4th gen :(

Oh well what can ya do...
CoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
First thing I would do is get a clear bra on as many parts as possible. Then those mudflaps. Then opticoat. That is probably your best protection you can get.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
CoV

Drives: 2010 SS IOM & 99 SS Black 6M's
will clear bra not eventually fade or make the car look worse in the longrun or what? It would not be a magnet for dust or look dingy over time?
CoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoV View Post
will clear bra not eventually fade or make the car look worse in the longrun or what? It would not be a magnet for dust or look dingy over time?
A QUALITY clear bra should not. And a quality one generally comes with a 5 or 7 year warranty.

As with everything, there are pros and cons. I, for one, in your situation would take a clear bra over gigantic and numerous gravel paint chips any day of the week. And with the paint on these cars as sucky as they are, believe me, there will be paint chips and LOTS of them.

Just my suggestion. Good luck either way

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote