Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
COLD AIR INDUCTIONS INSTALL/REVIEW

install video step by step done in my garage:

COLD AIR INDUCTIONS COLD AIR INTAKE 2010 Camaro SS A6 L99
This is my impressions of the CAI intake, theres a lot of questions out there maybe this can help some people out, I did my research and this is the one I liked best,
The cold air intake from Cold Air Inductions is impressive. Quality throughout, no plastic at all. Ceramic coated pipe and an insulated aluminum box with a plexi glass top keep the engine bay heat out. The system is sealed tight with no gaps anywhere. The top comes off easy with spring loaded screws to make it easy to get to the filter or the window washer fluid.

I started off the installation with the removal of the stock system. For the most part it came out pretty easy except for pulling the old air box off. It had to be shaken and pulled a little bit to get it out. Installing the new intake was a breeze the instructions were clear and direct. The air box went in easy once I lined it up to the grooves in the engine bay. The filter the pipe and the MAF all went into place with ease. As for the hose I suggest getting a real heat gun, using my wife's hairdryer wasted time for me but hey I had to work with what I had,I adapted I overcame. So after checking over everything it was time to drive her.

The Camaro started and idled fine like always no check engine lights or anything. I drove her for a bit nice and easy to give the computer a chance to re calibrate and get used to the amount of air coming in. I spent months studying CAIs now time to see if it was worth all the research. So I took her out on the main road and nailed it.The car took off like a bat out of hell. I noticed a definite power increase and the sound is simply put nasty. I notice the biggest bump in the 25 to 35 rpm range. The sound and the power were honestly quite a bit more than I expected.
In closing my impression of this product is excellent. The fit and finish is quality. Installation is easy and it definitely improved my cars performance. I have seen a lot of CAIs and heard a lot of things about a lot of intakes this one I can say honestly is worth the money. I recommend this to anyone looking for a cold air intake.

PS: my advice what ever intake you get install it yourself have seen some asking crazy prices for CAI installs,
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
swansor

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM
Send a message via ICQ to swansor Send a message via Yahoo to swansor
I installed mine last night and could have wrote the exact same thing you did. I didnt run it until this morning and I was surprised with the power/sound.

Good write on the install. It was ditto for me. The old airbox didnt want to budge and I thought I might have missed a nut somewhere but a little heave ho did the trick.
swansor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
CaliEMT
Decepticons. . . MOBILIZE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Do you guys recommend that I drive it slow the first time? Like right after I install it?

Ive never had a CAI. What will show up on the DIC or guages? Anything? Any warnings or alarms?
CaliEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Excelent write up. I feel I can tackle this my self now. Do you have added exhaust or all stock? Is there a note difference at idle or just under power?
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I've had mine since January and I will agree with that 1969to2010 wrote. The dyno showed a good 10rwhp increase on mine. it also made my exhause sound a bit better (deeper) and at WOT...words can't even describe it

I couldnt get a heat gun from work, so I just used a lighter
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
swansor

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM
Send a message via ICQ to swansor Send a message via Yahoo to swansor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
Excelent write up. I feel I can tackle this my self now. Do you have added exhaust or all stock? Is there a note difference at idle or just under power?
For now I have stock exhaust. No real difference at idle but WOT is exactly as Iwantone2 says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I've had mine since January and I will agree with that 1969to2010 wrote. The dyno showed a good 10rwhp increase on mine. it also made my exhause sound a bit better (deeper) and at WOT...words can't even describe it

I couldnt get a heat gun from work, so I just used a lighter
I was surprised at the deeper exhaust sound too. Good to hear you got 10rwhp. I dont have any numbers yet but I can feel the difference.
swansor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
1DERZ SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Good write up as I just received notification that mine will arrive tomorrow via UPS. Won't be awhile till I get it on as the car is still stored away till all this snow disappears.

2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Came home on 11/13/2009
2011 Silverado 2500 HD Crew LTZ
11/17/2010
1DERZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Dwaynelo

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS W/Silver Stripes
I hope for the same results. I have had mine paid for and ordered for almost a month and a half. It shipped today and it should be here next week. The write up/test comparison on the intakes, made CAI's sales go through the roof. They have had a hard time keeping up. My CAI is the final touch. (Headers with stock mufflers, tune and CAI) It screams.
Dwaynelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
jty03

Drives: 2SS/RS
Great review. I installed mine today, and agree with you. The old airbox was a slight PITA to get out, but with that out of the way, it was too easy. Way too easy. Noticed a little kick in the 25-35 range (or so) though I haven't really nailed it yet.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
GLGJR

Drives: 09 CTS-V
Good grief 400.00 bucks for that? Damn that seems like way to much but I guess if you like that look.
GLGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
hair10

Drives: 2SS - Transformer Edition
Good info to read. I just received notification that mine was shipping out yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLGJR
Good grief 400.00 bucks for that? Damn that seems like way to much but I guess if you like that look.
Most of the ones I looked at were running $330-$350. The extra $$$ was worth it for me knowing that it was going to be self-sealed (no hood seal) and that it adds a bit of polished metal look under the hood too (as opposed to a plastic box with an exposed filter). Basically it was worth the extra money for the look.

hair10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
camaroMSUfan

Drives: 2SS/RS Silver Ice Metallic
anyone noticed if their mpg increased?

Borla S-type exhaust
tinted windows
Kicker CVR 10" subwoofer
Planet Audio 400 watt amp
Custom Built Box for amp/sub
Cold Air Inductions C.A.I
camaroMSUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEMT View Post
Do you guys recommend that I drive it slow the first time? Like right after I install it?

Ive never had a CAI. What will show up on the DIC or guages? Anything? Any warnings or alarms?
everything should be normal I got the impression I didnt have to drive easy but I did anyway just drove normal no getting on her right away, nothing shos up anywhere with this CAI
Old 03-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hair10 View Post
Good info to read. I just received notification that mine was shipping out yesterday.

Most of the ones I looked at were running $330-$350. The extra $$$ was worth it for me knowing that it was going to be self-sealed (no hood seal) and that it adds a bit of polished metal look under the hood too (as opposed to a plastic box with an exposed filter). Basically it was worth the extra money for the look.
I agree but its more than looks pound for pound this intake is a good deal it had everything I wanted and the chrome pipe wasnt $150 more like some intakes. If you compare the intakes piece by piece I think its a great buy. The cheaper intakes didnt have the ceramic chrome pipe or the aluminum insulated box. I think there are other excellent intakes out there this was the one I thought worked best for me, as for the poster who said way too much money I have to politely disagree. Some other units start out lower but with ad ons are even more money than the CAI. Im very happy with the choices I made, Im glad you guys dug the review and video