Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
Dealer replacing one of my stripes

Today I was at the dealer with my Camaro and brought up the small tear in my stripe on the cowl. My salesman called over the service guy and had him order a new stripe kit. They will be re-installing the stripe once they come in. I know others who have had this dealers stripe guy(has a vynil show down the street)install stripes and they said it was good.

Part of me is worried they will somehow screw it up, the other half of me has been troubled with the small problem with the stripe since I bought it.

On a side note, when I went into the bay to get my car, someones kid was leaning on the front fender. I said "Please don't lean on my car" I was nice about it, but please don't lean on my car!.

ED
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
firehawk318

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Convertible
Decal Stripes on the new Camaros

I just read where one of the members was having a Hood Decal replaced by the Dealer because of a Tear. The Bad thing about Decal Stripes is over time they will eat into the paint and soon they will crack up. If you really must have the Stripes I recommend having them Painted on to begin with and it's not that much more exspensive than the $450 the Factory charges for the Decals. As for the Kid leaning on his car you were right in running him off. I found that these new Camaro fenders are very thin sheet metal. I'm always taking mine to the Dent Doctor and I'm very careful about where I Park but, the Slightess bump on the fenders and you have a problem.
firehawk318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
There are pros and cons on going with either paint or vinyl. They vinyl doesn't crack all that soon and it will make a differnce if your car sits outside or inside as well as the color of stripe you go with. I've had my stripes for over 2.5 yrs with no real issues. The only thing I have is a slight ding or two where a rock or something has it the stripe on the hood.

The main thing I would be concerned with is that they replace both stripes and not just one. The other one might be a little more faded than they other.

Also, don't accept it unless it's to your complete satisfaction. Look it over heavily before leaving the dealer.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Carolina SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Dealer replaced my hood stripes due to a scratch across them. The guy they brought in did a great job and I heard it's not hard if the stripes aren't too old. They peel right off, sometimes requiring a little heat. Definitely worth it.

2011 Camaro SS/RS L99
Carolina SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
The stripe replacement will be done under warranty, so no money out of my pocket.

I feel better now hearing positive stripe replacements.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
wray1991

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
The ripped one of mine when washing it, one day old. 4 sets of stripes later, they ordered me a new car because they figured that I would never be happy with half ass
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk318 View Post
I just read where one of the members was having a Hood Decal replaced by the Dealer because of a Tear. The Bad thing about Decal Stripes is over time they will eat into the paint and soon they will crack up. If you really must have the Stripes I recommend having them Painted on to begin with and it's not that much more exspensive than the $450 the Factory charges for the Decals. As for the Kid leaning on his car you were right in running him off. I found that these new Camaro fenders are very thin sheet metal. I'm always taking mine to the Dent Doctor and I'm very careful about where I Park but, the Slightess bump on the fenders and you have a problem.
Funny I have had vinyl stripes on several cars and never had them " eat into the paint" I even removed the ones that came on my Yellow Camaro after sitting outside for 2 1/2 years with no problems at all. For painted on stripes for a good job you are looking at $800 to $1000.