Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-17-2014, 03:39 AM   #29
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Me over the years on "The Dragon" trying to make 30mph look fast

Name:  photo_1.PNG
Views: 630
Size:  438.9 KB

Name:  photo_2.PNG
Views: 596
Size:  433.9 KB

Name:  photo_3.PNG
Views: 586
Size:  447.9 KB

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #30
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Did the tail on the way back from C5Fest this past May. It was a Thursday, I believe. Had no issues with people trying to get out of the way when I came up on them. Some, like the fella with the dually towing a loaded landscape trailer, took a little longer to find a spot to let me by, but all in all it was fun. Wife was a little green at the end.

A bug spattered, luggage laden 5th Gen on the Tail of the Dragon.

[IMG][/IMG]
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #31
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
My two buddies and I went down there and spent a week riding the Dragon and all the roads around there. I ride a Honda and they both ride Harleys. I have nothing against Harleys or Harley Riders but man do they ride slow! Each trip thru the Dragon at the end I had to pull over and wait 15-20 minutes for them...no really it was that bad.
I had no trouble riding it, people were very courteous that I came up behind and they pulled over. No one ever came up behind me, well unless you count the State Trooper but that's another story...All in all We had a Great time riding around down there and through the Smokey's but I now fully Understand your pain with the slow bikers.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #32
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Okay, so you think there should be a ban on fat, older, Harley people... and that would make your road more enjoyable to you? To hell with the fact that they were being completely inconsiderate
I think that fixes that.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #33
tribaltalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The Twisted Sisters (Fm 335,336 and 337) down in south Texas (southwest of Kerrville) are WAAAY better then the Dragon. Thats actually the number one twisty road in America on most bike sites now. Mostly because it is really remote, and sees nowhere near the amount of traffic that the Dragon gets. I've ridden the Sisters several times on my sportbikes and hardly ever saw anybody (during the week). The roads are not nearly as well maintained as the tail though, so you better have your driving hat on if you hit some gravel. LOL!
tribaltalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #34
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
There are alternatives

NC 209 into Hot Springs is a really good road*... and is virtually empty. And Hot Springs is a cool little town to visit.

*Unless you are driving a Subaru Outback and just want to get to Hot Springs. In that case it is a nausea inducing festival of misery.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #35
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
...a nausea inducing festival of misery.[/SIZE]
Made my day, that one.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #36
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
NC 209 into Hot Springs is a really good road*... and is virtually empty. And Hot Springs is a cool little town to visit.

*Unless you are driving a Subaru Outback and just want to get to Hot Springs. In that case it is a nausea inducing festival of misery.
Just checked out 209 on Google Maps, looks awesome . I need to make it back out that way and spend more time exploring. Always want to visit Asheville anyways.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #37
PonyXpress
Bring the funk!

Drives: 09 Mustang Bullitt
I've driven most of the roads in that area and the Dragon is hands down my favorite, the road is slightly banked and lends itself well to hard cornering, plus it's extremely well maintained, not to mention that the local guys keep the road free from most debris.

Is there a lot of H-D's there? Not if you go in the middle of the week, plus the LEO's are few and far between.
I've been in the spring, summer and fall and as long as it's in the middle of the week you're golden!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #38
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyXpress View Post
I've driven most of the roads in that area and the Dragon is hands down my favorite, the road is slightly banked and lends itself well to hard cornering, plus it's extremely well maintained, not to mention that the local guys keep the road free from most debris.

Is there a lot of H-D's there? Not if you go in the middle of the week, plus the LEO's are few and far between.
I've been in the spring, summer and fall and as long as it's in the middle of the week you're golden!
NICE!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyXpress View Post

Middle of the week is best time to go definitely, avoid weekends and holidays... And especially leaf peeper season.....
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #40
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
I drive up from Tampa last month and ripped back and forth multiple times from 7am-11am on a Friday morning. ZERO LEO's and hardly any traffic at all with perfect weather. It was such a blast i hated to leave.

I powered through some curves so hard i broke the tabs that connect the rear pipes behind the x on my Magnaflow catback. Had to have them welded back i place.

Cannot wait to hit it again one of these days.
Attached Images

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #41
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenicess View Post
I drove it last week on my way back home to Florida from Toronto and had an absolute blast! I had no issues with Harleys and when I stopped at the look out I chatted with a group of Harley riders who were all very nice. They loved my ZL1, said they could hear me coming! A couple of them even took pictures of my car! I wouldn't get bent out of shape with guys going slow, let them enjoy the road too and at their pace! I'm sure the Ducati and sport bike riders gripe about the slow ads Camaro drivers too! Without the biker tourists in the area,and I saw way more bikes than cars, I bet the road wouldn't be maintained the way it is.

What are the odds we both hit this road within weeks lol.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #42
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Too funny! Next time we will have to run it together!
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote