Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
JANNETTY RACING GUIDE TO MODIFICATIONS FOR THE GEN 5 V8 CAMARO

I see so many of the same questions over and over so I thought it would be fitting to lay out a recipe guide that would both answer the same old questions and give expected performance for the LS3 and L99 Gen5 Camaros.
Starting out you should know that RWHP Numbers for L99 are 330-335 and RWHP numbers for LS3 are 370-375, on my Superflow Chassis Dyno with Proper Test Proceedures, and both engines respond to bolt on parts very similarly.
The Foundation.
Air in;
Back on 2009 and early 2010 when more Cold air kits came to market, I took it upon myself and my crew to find out the truth about Cold Air Kits, they’re fit and finish, and they’re Real Performance Gains, they’re strengths and weaknesses.
Most all CAI vendors lined up and sent they’re best in for the test free of charge.
I Ran these Road simulation tests on my Superflow SF840 Chassis Dyno with 60 mph winds blowing on the front of the cars, while live streaming them on the internet.
We put the data in Excel Spread sheet format for all to view, after the second round of testing We consolidated the 2 tests in one sheet and added some new info here is the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lE1dE5ZNVI5aVE
With that said I am sure this raises more questions than answers.
What is a Cold air Kit?
A cold air kit is a, Air filter, that is Placed in a Box, Sealed off from Engine Heat and surround Hot air, that draws It’s supply air from outside the car.
What makes a great Cold air Kit?
High flow filter with proper radius transition, High flow intake tube, Proper size intake tube, Proper Placement of the MAF, Custom Couplers that Keep air moving Smoothly across transitions, Heat insulation both on the box and on the intake tube via Ceramic Metalic Thermal Barrier Coating inside and out.
The Job of a Cold Air Kit is just that!
To supply the Engine with the Coldest Air Available while eliminating any restrictions along the way.
How much RWHP can I expect out of a Quality cold air kit?, about 15 RWHP both LS3 AND L99

Air Out;
Headers, what are they and what do they do?
Headers are an extension of your exhaust Port, a Long exhaust port promotes Horsepower by velocity which in turn promotes scavenging, which is basically Pulling all the Burned or spent gasses out of the combustion chamber to make more room for Fresh Air Fuel mixture, the more Air/Fuel mixture we can cram in to a cylinder the more Horsepower we can make.
Short tube headers came along as a necessity for a market more than for performance.
Header companies were losing money and needed a new part to sell to people with factory Cat Converters.
Cool concept but exhaust manifolds evolved at the same time so there is no benefit to short tube headers of unequal lengths.
If there is enough room to produce a short tube header of 4 equal tube lengths along with a Proper collector then there is a Power increase to be had, although not as much as Long Tube Headers but better than Manifolds.
There are Now Equal length short tube headers available with E.O certification 50 state legal.

When it comes to maximizing Performance Long tube Headers are the ONLY Choice.
Again in 2009 I took it upon myself and my crew to Test Long Tube Headers to see what the Real Gains are and Which size Works Best http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63640
How much RWHP can I expect, 28-30 RWHP both LS3 AND L99

Custom Tuning, what is it and why do I need it?
Custom tuning is recalibration of parameters within your factory calibration file.
1. These cars are Drive by Wire, what this simply means is you move and electronic throttle position sensor on your gas pedal and the computer decides how much and how fast to open the throttle blade out on the engine.
What Better Way to control Torque than slowing down and limiting the Throttle blade movement.
With custom tuning we can make the Pedal and Throttle blade operate as if there were a Cable installed, this is what we call eliminating torque management.
Another form of Torque management is Timing Reduction during acceleration, or during shifts, on manual cars we eliminate this all together, on automatic cars we reduce it but not eliminate it to protect the transmission.
2. Cold air intake systems change accuracy of the Air Meter (MAF) that Measures actual air flow in Grams Per Second, the computer uses this information to calculate injector Pulse width, timing calculations, torque management, transmission line pressure, shift points, and firmness and a host of other calculations.
3. Headers also affect air flow through the engine, affect timing requirements of the engine, and also affect obd2 tests that will set codes, due to seeing something different than what was originally there, adjustments to the tune need to be made to pass these tests and prevent codes from popping up.
4. So depending on modifications and combination of modifications each calibration must be done accordingly for max performance and efficiency.
Common adjustments to all tunes, Fan settings to run cooler, speed limiter, rev limiter, torque management, optimize timing, optimize fueling, bring on WOT power enrichment earlier, transmission line pressures, and transmission shift speeds, AFM OFF on L99, SKIPSHIFT OFF on LS3.
Other calibration for headers, superchargers, cams, different injectors, intake systems and fuel systems.
Codes, air flow limit tables, IAT Timing Tables, knock sensor calibration, idle control tables, injector calibration tables, MAF Sensor calibration, MAP sensor calibration, fuel sender calibration, IAT sensor calibration, Cam shaft Phasing tables, and the list goes on and on all dependent on the combination of parts.
How do I get a Custom Tune in to my car?
1 of 2 ways, the first and my favorite, Purchase an SCT X3 or iTSX device and visit or Email one of the hundreds of authorized SCT Custom Tuning Dealers across the country or your Favorite Camaro5 Gen5 Tuner.
Second way is to visit a local Dyno tuning facility that is familiar with 5th Gen Camaros and uses SCT, HPTuners, EFILive, Custom tuning software, and they can flash your computer.
Advantages of a Handheld tuner, You can return to stock any time you like, You can have Tuning at home capability via email, it is also a powerful data logger and code reader and clearer.
Disadvantages of a Laptop tune, you must visit your tuner every time you need to make a change or return to stock.
How Much RWHP can I expect from a Tune? 5-10 RWHP both LS3 AND L99, More when combined with other mods.
So in Summary a quality CAI, Long Tube Headers with High flow Cats, and a tune will net you 40 RWHP and 50 RWTQ, add this to your base numbers on whatever Dyno you baseline your car on, and you will know what to expect.
This is the Foundation on which all other future mods are built, like cams, forced induction or nitrous oxide.
Open for discussion and questions.
In the next segment I will discuss Cams, forced induction, and NOS.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 12-10-2014 at 10:37 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Thanks Ted... This is a great reference for anyone in the mod process..

Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
gobrad

Drives: 45th Anniversary SS
Might I suggest a sticky?

Thanks a lot Ted. Great write up, as expected from someone who sells some incredible parts and has an obvious talent for these cars. I love my 470 package.
gobrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
YelloSS

Drives: 2011 GT500
Thanks, I really enjoyed the read. Having these exact mods done to my LS3, I experienced almost exactly the gains you say one should expect.

Thank you for taking the time to put this information in one post where it is easy to access and, more importantly, easy for most people to understand regardless of their knowledge.

I look forward to reading your guide to other, more extensive, modifications
YelloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrad View Post
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrad View Post
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I swear to all that is sacred................. I wish I lived closer.

Good info Ted.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Good info Ted.
We are only a Day Away
Old 09-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
We are only a Day Away
Would have saved him months...
Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
We are only a Day Away
I wish it were that easy. lol

Bonnie doesnt' even want to drive it any more. It dies when she backs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Would have saved him months...
Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Brandon@LSRPerformance

Drives: N/A
Quote:
I see so many of the same questions over and over so I thought it would be fitting to lay out a recipe guide that would both answer the same old questions and give expected performance for the LS3 and L99 Gen5 Camaros.
Starting out you should know that RWHP Numbers for L99 are 330-335 and RWHP numbers for LS3 are 370-375, on my Superflow Chassis Dyno with Proper Test Proceedures, and both engines respond to bolt on parts very similarly.
The Foundation.
Air in;
Back on 2009 and early 2010 when more Cold air kits came to market, I took it upon myself and my crew to find out the truth about Cold Air Kits, they’re fit and finish, and they’re Real Performance Gains, they’re strengths and weaknesses.
Most all CAI vendors lined up and sent they’re best in for the test free of charge.
I Ran these Road simulation tests on my Superflow SF840 Chassis Dyno with 60 mph winds blowing on the front of the cars, while live streaming them on the internet.
We put the data in Excel Spread sheet format for all to view, after the second round of testing We consolidated the 2 tests in one sheet and added some new info here is the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lE1dE5ZNVI5aVE
With that said I am sure this raises more questions than answers.
What is a Cold air Kit?
A cold air kit is a, Air filter, that is Placed in a Box, Sealed off from Engine Heat and surround Hot air, that draws It’s supply air from outside the car.
What makes a great Cold air Kit?
High flow filter with proper radius transition, High flow intake tube, Proper size intake tube, Proper Placement of the MAF, Custom Couplers that Keep air moving Smoothly across transitions, Heat insulation both on the box and on the intake tube via Ceramic Metalic Thermal Barrier Coating inside and out.
The Job of a Cold Air Kit is just that!
To supply the Engine with the Coldest Air Available while eliminating any restrictions along the way.
How much RWHP can I expect out of a Quality cold air kit?, about 15 RWHP both LS3 AND L99

Air Out;
Headers, what are they and what do they do?
Headers are an extension of your exhaust Port, a Long exhaust port promotes Horsepower by velocity which in turn promotes scavenging, which is basically Pulling all the Burned or spent gasses out of the combustion chamber to make more room for Fresh Air Fuel mixture, the more Air/Fuel mixture we can cram in to a cylinder the more Horsepower we can make.
Short tube headers came along as a necessity for a market more than for performance.
Header companies were losing money and needed a new part to sell to people with factory Cat Converters.
Cool concept but exhaust manifolds evolved at the same time so there is no benefit to short tube headers of unequal lengths.
If there is enough room to produce a short tube header of 4 equal tube lengths along with a Proper collector then there is a Power increase to be had, although not as much as Long Tube Headers but better than Manifolds.
There are Now Equal length short tube headers available with E.O certification 50 state legal.

When it comes to maximizing Performance Long tube Headers are the ONLY Choice.
Again in 2009 I took it upon myself and my crew to Test Long Tube Headers to see what the Real Gains are and Which size Works Best http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63640
How much RWHP can I expect, 28-30 RWHP both LS3 AND L99

Custom Tuning, what is it and why do I need it?
Custom tuning is recalibration of parameters within your factory calibration file.
1. These cars are Drive by Wire, what this simply means is you move and electronic throttle position sensor on your gas pedal and the computer decides how much and how fast to open the throttle blade out on the engine.
What Better Way to control Torque than slowing down and limiting the Throttle blade movement.
With custom tuning we can make the Pedal and Throttle blade operate as if there were a Cable installed, this is what we call eliminating torque management.
Another form of Torque management is Timing Reduction during acceleration, or during shifts, on manual cars we eliminate this all together, on automatic cars we reduce it but not eliminate it to protect the transmission.
2. Cold air intake systems change accuracy of the Air Meter (MAF) that Measures actual air flow in Grams Per Second, the computer uses this information to calculate injector Pulse width, timing calculations, torque management, transmission line pressure, shift points, and firmness and a host of other calculations.
3. Headers also affect air flow through the engine, affect timing requirements of the engine, and also affect obd2 tests that will set codes, due to seeing something different than what was originally there, adjustments to the tune need to be made to pass these tests and prevent codes from popping up.
4. So depending on modifications and combination of modifications each calibration must be done accordingly for max performance and efficiency.
Common adjustments to all tunes, Fan settings to run cooler, speed limiter, rev limiter, torque management, optimize timing, optimize fueling, bring on WOT power enrichment earlier, transmission line pressures, and transmission shift speeds, AFM OFF on L99, SKIPSHIFT OFF on LS3.
Other calibration for headers, superchargers, cams, different injectors, intake systems and fuel systems.
Codes, air flow limit tables, IAT Timing Tables, knock sensor calibration, idle control tables, injector calibration tables, MAF Sensor calibration, MAP sensor calibration, fuel sender calibration, IAT sensor calibration, Cam shaft Phasing tables, and the list goes on and on all dependent on the combination of parts.
How do I get a Custom Tune in to my car?
1 of 2 ways, the first and my favorite, Purchase an SCT X3 or iTSX device and visit or Email one of the hundreds of authorized SCT Custom Tuning Dealers across the country or your Favorite Camaro5 Gen5 Tuner.
Second way is to visit a local Dyno tuning facility that is familiar with 5th Gen Camaros and uses SCT, HPTuners, EFILive, Custom tuning software, and they can flash your computer.
Advantages of a Handheld tuner, You can return to stock any time you like, You can have Tuning at home capability via email, it is also a powerful data logger and code reader and clearer.
Disadvantages of a Laptop tune, you must visit your tuner every time you need to make a change or return to stock.
How Much RWHP can I expect from a Tune? 5-10 RWHP both LS3 AND L99, More when combined with other mods.
So in Summary a quality CAI, Long Tube Headers with High flow Cats, and a tune will net you 40 RWHP and 50 RWTQ, add this to your base numbers on whatever Dyno you baseline your car on, and you will know what to expect.
This is the Foundation on which all other future mods are built, like cams, forced induction or nitrous oxide.
Open for discussion and questions.
In the next segment I will discuss Cams, forced induction, and NOS.

Ted.
Ted,

Nice write-up.

Any update on getting our CAI added to the spreadsheet?
Brandon@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Good info Ted.
I'm 2 hours away and I wish I lived closer to Jannettys
Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon@LSRPerformance View Post
Ted,

Nice write-up.

Any update on getting our CAI added to the spreadsheet?
I finally have a bone stock car to test with so shortly.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Sticky!!!!