Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #43
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
This is a real concern everyone that does much under the hood needs to consider. Even guys who are competent amateurs, or even pros. Fuel lines are no joke. Not suggesting the OP brought it on himself at all. I had an inline fuel filter come apart while driving in my '70 once, I would describe myself as a competent amateur, and a minor expert on this type of car but that didn;t stop me from having to rely on luck. I smelled gas and pulled over, popped the hood. Gas had pooled in my intake manifold, no idea how it did not slosh over on to the red-hot headers. If it had been a high pressure fuel line? Hooo boy. When I replaced all that stuff, I chose a new position for the fuel filter so it couldn't have a chance to pour onto the exhaust so easily the next time.

I also owned a '71 just like my car, that I cut in two for parts. It had been in a similar incident but it did burn. Melted the windshield it burned so hot. It was in the owner's driveway at the time. I cut that car in half, midway along the door openings. From the dashboard forward was a molten lump, from a fuel system failure while parked.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #44
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Always carry a fire extinguisher in your car if you done any power performance mods....

Go see Simon here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=extinguisher
Wow!

So I am sorry to hear about that. But so glad you are all safe.

Yep ... I agree with Dan ... That's why I invented the fire extinguisher bracket for my camaro ... And why I started making them for other people. Even if you never need to use it yourself ... Chances are you'll come across someone else who needs your help.

I haven't had to use it (thank God) but did have a time recently when my camaro blew a fuel line because of a faulty fitting... Luckily the car was cold, because it poured gas all over the headers. Could have been a very different story.

In my life I have had to put out 4 car fires ... one was mine (battery caught fire in the trunk of my mini when I was 16 ... put it out with handfuls of gravel off the side of the road) ... and three other complete strangers (I have carried extinguishers in every car since my mini).

When I lived in Australia, the modified car scene is so big on carrying them, that you lose points at car shows if you don't have one.

My brother's 1968 Aussie Holden ute (elcamino) went up in flames years ago. He didn't have an extinguisher ... All he could do is watch it burn. Went from being a magazine-featured, trophy-winning show car, to a charred mess in seconds.

Really tragic stuff ... As I said ... so glad you're all safe. Really ... at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Last edited by simon.w; 03-01-2015 at 10:02 AM.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #45
simon.w
Account Suspended

I posted this a few weeks ago ... this guy was driving his 1968 HK Holden Monaro to the Monaro Nationals in Australia.

More here: https://www.facebook.com/SurvivorCar...96?pnref=story

Old 03-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #46
Agent Utah

Drives: '10 Camaro Victory Red
To a few of you that asked, I did have a fire extinguisher in the car. In the few seconds it took me to grab it, and get the kids out of the car.. it was too hot to even get the hood up (I had popped the release before getting out) so there really wasn't anywhere to spray...

The cash wash employees had two large extinguishers, but they faced the same problem. We couldn't get to the engine bay.

And frankly I was concerned about it hitting the trunk. I have a nitrous tank, and a 3 gallon tank of methanol. So I chose to back everyone away and wait for the professionals...
Agent Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #47
xchxgh

Drives: ford
Thank GOD you got out and you and your kids are safe. You can always get another car.
xchxgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #48
Agent Utah

Drives: '10 Camaro Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchxgh View Post
Thank GOD you got out and you and your kids are safe. You can always get another car.
Thanks.. it could have been much worse.

I was almost out of fuel, I was planning on filling up right after I got the car washed. Imagine if this would have happened at the gas station.
Agent Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #49
simon.w
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Utah View Post
To a few of you that asked, I did have a fire extinguisher in the car. In the few seconds it took me to grab it, and get the kids out of the car.. it was too hot to even get the hood up (I had popped the release before getting out) so there really wasn't anywhere to spray...

The cash wash employees had two large extinguishers, but they faced the same problem. We couldn't get to the engine bay.

And frankly I was concerned about it hitting the trunk. I have a nitrous tank, and a 3 gallon tank of methanol. So I chose to back everyone away and wait for the professionals...

Yep ... cars can be replaced ... people can not.

If it gets to that stage ... walk away.

When I was 15 I was at my parents house ... (they lived on a highway in the country in Australia) ... I hear this screaming ... look out my bedroom window and there's a car pulled over out the front with smoke bellowing out from under the hood. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran ... grabbed the garden hose on the way ... got to the car ... hear a kid screaming ... the early 20's couple were out of the car ... and there was a toddler strapped in the back seat. I dropped everything, got the kid out ... ran it up onto our front lawn, ran back to the car and put the fire out.

They were trying to thank me afterwards ... I just lost it at them ... couldn't understand how they could have left their kid in a burning car.

I guess shock effects people differently.

Last edited by simon.w; 03-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #50
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I just hope you had insurance for the mods you had. Insurance companies will not pay any more than what the base car was. You have to buy extra insurance for add-ons. Since car was modified GM has nothing to be claimed towards them.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #51
DarKnightZ

Drives: 2012 SS Black Camaro
Thank god you guys are ok.. poor Camaro doe..
DarKnightZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #52
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sorry about your car man I can't even imagine...I would just give up I know I would...I hope it all works out man I'm looking forward to hearing about it

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:47 AM   #53
CyberG11

Drives: 2011 V6 Cyber Gray
Glad to hear you and your kids got out ok.
Tinted windows, RX catch can, MRT 2 Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Trifecta Tune, Plastic dipped rims, foot well lighting, upgraded DRL, Ghosted side markers, LED interior and trunk lights, Painted calipers, Heads up display, Ported Throttle body, Air scoop, washer bottle relocation kit, Dynamat, amp and subs, Vitesse Throttle controller.

Up next Hex vents, Long tube headers, suspension, brake upgrade.
CyberG11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #54
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
So now the hard question. Replace with a fifth gen... or wait for the 6th gen.

Glad everyone's ok. Apparently your car always wished it was born a firebird.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #55
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Just curious!
It's obvious that its modified and most likely due to the owners modification of the fuel system to support the N20 etc...

Would insurance have any obligation to pay this? I would think not!

Most important is that everyone got out OK!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #56
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Ouch that sucks but most important everyone was safe. Yet another reason for getting collector car insurance if it's not your daily driver. The OP would have been able to get the agreed value for is car and not market value.