Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 02-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #15
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
Why does it bother people so much if new members repeat old threads? It seems to be a trend lately for people on here to shit all over members who repeat a thread and to belittle them for not using the search. I say SO WHAT if someone repeats a thread. Would you all rather this forum die off, at least if new members are repeating old threads they are being active on here.

On another note I've seen it when someone does use the precious search and bump an old thread to the top to follow up people jump all over them for bringing up a thread that's two years old. You can't have it both ways, let people post repeat threads and if you don't like it just don't reply to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer098 View Post
Didn't post this to bash on them, I just figured some people might want to find answers immediately instead if of waiting for others to reply.
This. If I didn't know how to already use Google (it's weird that there are quite a few people who don't grasp the internet yet) this would be very beneficial. It's a lot easier to just search through old threads and have the questions answered for me, rather than recreate the same threads to have my questions answered. I have a lottttt of questions. This thread definitely needed to be made. The site has a search function, albeit not a very good one, and that's so people can find old threads for that very reason.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:54 AM   #16
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
I usually Google camaro5 and then the question. Results will be for camaro 5 and clicking the view more brings up search like you showed.
That's what I do too. It's a little quicker to type up.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:05 AM   #17
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Why does it bother people so much if new members repeat old threads? It seems to be a trend lately for people on here to shit all over members who repeat a thread and to belittle them for not using the search. I say SO WHAT if someone repeats a thread. Would you all rather this forum die off, at least if new members are repeating old threads they are being active on here.

On another note I've seen it when someone does use the precious search and bump an old thread to the top to follow up people jump all over them for bringing up a thread that's two years old. You can't have it both ways, let people post repeat threads and if you don't like it just don't reply to them.
Its not just this site. All of the forums I belong to do the same thing. Car forums especially. I have been a member of forums for over 20 years and they all emphasize search first.
Myself I never had a problem with helping someone out but I guess if your on all the time it would get old hearing it.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:45 AM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I know you weren't bashing people and frankly your post was informative, I didn't know you could search google like that to just one site. But there are many others on here that bash people for not searching.
Definitely not condoned here and spelled out in the site rules too so just report and it's taken care of. Especially with new members who are just asking a simple question. It's just rude and most of you have already commented on the reasons why.

Great thread and I know VBulletin doesn't have the greatest search tools, but what I like to do is search by thread title. I usually go to a specific section first and then select from the results based on how many posts there are in the thread.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1006
Size:  68.5 KB
Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #19
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
The reason people including myself have said use the search feature is because some of the old threads (who cares if a dead thread is revived) contain a lot of really good information and discussion. Also, if you do revive a dead thread it gives the opportunity to update information on that thread that people who may be researching through searching might be mis-informed of because things changed since the original thread was created. It isn't killing the forum, it's updating the forum to the best that it can be. It just sucks when you go to research something and there's 300 threads of the same question with 2 responses in each thread. Is it ok to have a couple of repeat threads? Sure, but when you ask what cold air intake is best, or how to choose the right long tube headers, or 5th gen vs 6th gen, or something along those lines for the thousandth time it gets extremely repetitive and THAT, IMO, is what kills a forum.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #20
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
The reason people including myself have said use the search feature is because some of the old threads (who cares if a dead thread is revived) contain a lot of really good information and discussion. Also, if you do revive a dead thread it gives the opportunity to update information on that thread that people who may be researching through searching might be mis-informed of because things changed since the original thread was created. It isn't killing the forum, it's updating the forum to the best that it can be. It just sucks when you go to research something and there's 300 threads of the same question with 2 responses in each thread. Is it ok to have a couple of repeat threads? Sure, but when you ask what cold air intake is best, or how to choose the right long tube headers, or 5th gen vs 6th gen, or something along those lines for the thousandth time it gets extremely repetitive and THAT, IMO, is what kills a forum.
+1
Old 02-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Searching for old threads is great, but then you get people complaining that a newb necro'd a dead thread.

But whether someone asks a question for the hundredth time, or bumps a thread thats been dead for 4 years ... before pointing out their poor forum etiquette, help them out. Provide your opinion, or what you think the general consensus is, or whatever. Contribute in a positive manner first, then maybe toss in a 'oh, by the way you can find more about this if you had searched' or 'just so you know, the previous post dates back to 2012'. Even I find it hard to do this every single time, but the site would be better off if everybody did it more often.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #22
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Searching for old threads is great, but then you get people complaining that a newb necro'd a dead thread.

But whether someone asks a question for the hundredth time, or bumps a thread thats been dead for 4 years ... before pointing out their poor forum etiquette, help them out. Provide your opinion, or what you think the general consensus is, or whatever. Contribute in a positive manner first, then maybe toss in a 'oh, by the way you can find more about this if you had searched' or 'just so you know, the previous post dates back to 2012'. Even I find it hard to do this every single time, but the site would be better off if everybody did it more often.
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:02 AM   #23
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
B.S.

Last edited by Terryfied; 02-11-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote