Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
jkon

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
solo performance exhaust?

Hey! I'm looking at getting an exhaust of some kind. My car is still brand new and i don't wanna screw up my warranty. so the most i'm gonna do is a cat-back. So i can't decide what exhaust i want. im sure all of you have been in my position or are currently in my position. The muffler delete option looks really good and cheap. From what i've heard on youtube and what now, it sounds really good as well. I would love to hear it in person if anyone lives near Cleveland or Akron. Something else taht really caught my eye was the solo performance mach x catback. it sounds really nice on youtube but again, i'd like to hear it in person. I would also like to hear any experiences you all have had with the solo performance catback for the ls3. thanks
jkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I have an LS3 with Solo Mach-X and I love it! As with many things though everyone has differences in taste so this is just my opinion. The sound from the Mach-X to me is like a finely tuned cross between an exotic european sports car and an American muscle car! It just sounds sweet! I have added long tube headers and high flow cats so it got pretty loud. I then installed a pair of resonators to quiet it down and now it sounds perfect!

In your application with stock manifolds and cats the Mach-X sound sweet! Nice low rumble at idle and great sound at WOT! I'm gonna be at RDP Motorsports in Ohio sometime in April so if you want you can swing by when I'm there and have a listen. Send me a PM and I'll PM you when I'm gonna be there!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkon View Post
Hey! I'm looking at getting an exhaust of some kind. My car is still brand new and i don't wanna screw up my warranty. so the most i'm gonna do is a cat-back. So i can't decide what exhaust i want. im sure all of you have been in my position or are currently in my position. The muffler delete option looks really good and cheap. From what i've heard on youtube and what now, it sounds really good as well. I would love to hear it in person if anyone lives near Cleveland or Akron. Something else taht really caught my eye was the solo performance mach x catback. it sounds really nice on youtube but again, i'd like to hear it in person. I would also like to hear any experiences you all have had with the solo performance catback for the ls3. thanks
The Mach-X and Mach-XL systems are great for these cars! They fit great, are quality built and sound amazing! A great way to really get a wicked rumble is to add the Solo high flow cats to the mix. No tune needed and you won't effect your warranty either! They'll add some solid volume and some horsepower making an excellent combo with a Solo catback or any other catback for that matter.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
I started with just the mach-x and it was disappointing. I personally wouldn't recommend it if its the only mod you're gonna do. On the positive side its a very nice system, very well built and gets rid of those ugly trashcans you have hanging in the back.

That said, When I added the SOLO high flow cats it changed everything. It sounds really great now. It does drone pretty bad under load but a set of j-pipes (or just buying the mach XL to begin with) will fix that.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
kcox2010
synergy2011

Drives: 2011 synergy green 1ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to kcox2010
Thumbs up for solo Mach x with jpipes
Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
TRABlackCamaroSS

Drives: '10 Blk Camaro SS/'08 Blk Silverado
Just installed my Mach XL w/j pipes about 2 weeks ago, better than stock but not so loud that you cant' hear yourself thinking..Tuned is a good word as described above plus my J pipes knock aout that pesky drone.
Also if you need a little louder than the catback U can add hiflow cats or headers in the future. I like the sound i have w/just the catback..
numerous compliments from other Camaro owners in my car club(OKCamaros.com).
Easy to install andf U have great support from the Solo guys plus they get U this system quick to UR doorstep!!!!
Just my opinion
TRABlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
jkon

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Thanks for the feedback guys. Hey so about the high flow cats. i would like to do something like that for sure but im prettty sure it screws with the warranty right? And i thought that the mach xl was only for the automatic tranny? and i think the j pipes looks kinda silly IMO haha
jkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Actually high flow cats should not affect warranty unless they cause the problem! Yes the Mach-XL is for automatics, you would want the Mach-X if your manual.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
WIKID SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hey SSMIKE, what kind of resonators did you install and where did u put them? I too have the solo exhaust but with headers and high flow cats sounds a little raspy. Looking for a deeper tone. If I put them right before the tailpipes, would that solve my problem. Thanks
WIKID SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKID SS View Post
Hey SSMIKE, what kind of resonators did you install and where did u put them? I too have the solo exhaust but with headers and high flow cats sounds a little raspy. Looking for a deeper tone. If I put them right before the tailpipes, would that solve my problem. Thanks
Here's a pic. They are Solo Performance high flow resonators. They install where any aftermarket axle back mufflers would go. They really did the trick eliminating that harsh raspiness and reduced the drone!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
WIKID SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Here's a pic. They are Solo Performance high flow resonators. They install where any aftermarket axle back mufflers would go. They really did the trick eliminating that harsh raspiness and reduced the drone!
Thanks. I have jpipes. Do you think they will fit in that area?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKID SS View Post
Thanks. I have jpipes. Do you think they will fit in that area?
Along with the resonators? Probably not, but I'm not sure. Best thing to do is contact Steve at Solo. They are very helpful and will answer any questions you have about their products!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
WIKID SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Along with the resonators? Probably not, but I'm not sure. Best thing to do is contact Steve at Solo. They are very helpful and will answer any questions you have about their products!
Great. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Love my solo...with j-pipes. No drone at all and actually very quiet cruising. This is with SW headers, high flow cats and catback with j-pipes.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote