Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #85
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Are you saying that you saw 7370 Z s on the road , do you actually have a real job ?
you know what i was trying to say. if you consider a full time college student a job then yes i have a job. been studying all day for this anthropology test. lol
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #86
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
You can't go wrong either way. Its all about personal preference.
Both cars are cool looking.
Both cars are fun drivers.
Both cars have a great presence.
Both cars are about equally priced depending where you go.
I love my SS, but I'd be happy with either car to be honest.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #87
Brian52682

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I have a few things to add to this conversation.. First of all WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT Z's BEING RARE???? I see just as many if not more 350-370 Z's around where I live than I do Camaros. From northern Alabama up to Nashville, TN Z's are all over the place. Second of all "racing" in mostly done on a drag strip or red light racing so unless your name is Jeff Gordon or you actually are going to a track (which I doubt anyone in this thread is) then get the Camaro SS. And when it comes to take-off, torque, and sheer power the Camaro wins easily.

I have test drove a Z and they feel a lot like a souped up Maxima (had a 2010) with a smaller interior.
Brian52682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #88
Kunihiro1

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
I have both. 2010 2SS/RS and a 2006 "Z". Neither of these cars are my DD. My Camaro sits under cover in the garage and the "Z" car sits under cover next to my house. They are both weekend drivers, so neither one takes a lot of abuse.

They are both great cars in their own ways. there are a lot of comments that the "Z" is only a two seater, but realistically, there's not a whole lot of room in the back seat in our 5th gen's either.

My "Z" is a bone stock car and my 5th gen is slightly modified with exhaust and CAI. Although I have not done a side by side "out of the hole" comparison (outside of statistics on paper), I would say that they are pretty close "out of the hole."

The "Z" corners like it's sitting on rails and is great for "canyon carving."

There are pros and cons for both cars. If you're looking for something "zippy" and extremely manueuverable in traffic, the "Z" car is the way to go. Particularly if you don't have family and extra baggage that you need to be concerned about.

Either way, I like both of my cars. If you want "neck snapping" out of the hole response, there's nothing like a true normally aspirated muscle car.

Why not keep the 5th Gen and settle for a 350Z and you can have the best of both worlds!

Just my 2 cents.

'69 SS Camaro
2SS/RS, CGM, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pfadt Suspension, Airaid intake (Sold)

71 RS Camaro (Sold)
Z Car (Sorry, Nissan 350Z)
Kunihiro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #89
Kunihiro1

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian52682 View Post
I have a few things to add to this conversation.. First of all WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT Z's BEING RARE???? I see just as many if not more 350-370 Z's around where I live than I do Camaros. From northern Alabama up to Nashville, TN Z's are all over the place. Second of all "racing" in mostly done on a drag strip or red light racing so unless your name is Jeff Gordon or you actually are going to a track (which I doubt anyone in this thread is) then get the Camaro SS. And when it comes to take-off, torque, and sheer power the Camaro wins easily.

I have test drove a Z and they feel a lot like a souped up Maxima (had a 2010) with a smaller interior.
I don't believe MiracleAces was referring to the "Z" from a global standpoint. He is referring to the "Nismo Z", which is a special option package which was available through Nissan. You may see a ton of standard "Z's" but how many do you see with the "Nismo" markings?

I do agree with you that "racing" should only be done on the track and not on the street, where people can be seriously hurt or killed.

'69 SS Camaro
2SS/RS, CGM, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pfadt Suspension, Airaid intake (Sold)

71 RS Camaro (Sold)
Z Car (Sorry, Nissan 350Z)
Kunihiro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #90
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian52682 View Post

350Zs are everywhere, we are talking about 370Zs. I hardly see them on the road.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #91
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Yea I see a 370 everyday because we both work on campus, BUT outside of work I see one maybe at least once a week. I haven't seen every color of a 370 on the road yet. I only see the black one at work, Ive seen one in white and one in that light blue color. More rare than a camaro, and even more than a chally srt8.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #92
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy willz View Post
I think you may be the only person who has actually contributed something useful to this thread, besides a few others
Really? He asserted a preference (handling) that he later denied in the Miata comparison. Plus, I see many Zs (both 350s and 370s) at MTSU everyday. The most scarce sports cars are the Evos where I'm at. The point is that if you're looking for exclusivity then you're in the wrong price range.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #93
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
I seem to see 370Zs all the time

To be honest I think only 1 of those people daily drive their Z. For the rest its their weekend car. I'm sure many other owners use the Z as a weekend car also due to it's lack of space and that's probably why MOST of us don't see many on the road.

As for Nismo's yea those are extremely rare. I have yet to see a legit 350Z Nismo (my old neighbor had a 350Z that he put the Nismo body kit on, Brembos, and all that good stuff but it didn't start out as a nismo) and only 4 Nismo 370Zs.

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #94
ya boy willz

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Really? He asserted a preference (handling) that he later denied in the Miata comparison. Plus, I see many Zs (both 350s and 370s) at MTSU everyday. The most scarce sports cars are the Evos where I'm at. The point is that if you're looking for exclusivity then you're in the wrong price range.
Yes, really. He gave an unbiased opinion instead of instantly going the 370Z is a ricer or a girls car like most other have and instantly stating that the OP should get either an SS or a Corvette (which weren't even mentioned in the OP) like 85% of the people who posted before page 3.

As for exclusivity it all depends on the area in which you live. I have seen 5-6 EVOs around UCF and if I would have attended the DSM meet in SFL last year I would have seen over 60 all in one spot while you just stated that you hardly see them. 350Zs are or at least should be very common now a days unless your living in the backwoods where everyone owns a truck (no offense to anyone.)

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
Old 10-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #95
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy willz View Post
Yes, really. He gave an unbiased opinion instead of instantly going the 370Z is a ricer or a girls car like most other have and instantly stating that the OP should get either an SS or a Corvette (which weren't even mentioned in the OP) like 85% of the people who posted before page 3.
Really, so how is asserting that road courses, specifically the handling characteristic that makes cars excel on most tracks, are what people should be focusing on not biased or something more than opinion? To back that up, he simply said "this is what the rest of the world cares about." Quite frankly, who cares? This is about the OP's preferences not the world's. Speaking of preferences, I thought weirdest thing was that his preference was allegedly handling, yet someone gave a great comparison involving the Miata, of which he denied. This was meant to show that buying on only one characteristic was simply absurd. To reiterate, he wanted the OP to choose the 370z because it was a "better performer" in mike's eyes; weirdly, he backed this up with looking at one variable, handling, and, ironically, of which he showed his disagreement with Camaro enthusiasts looking only at "drag times," to show which car was the supposedly better performer. In reality, if one wants the track star of the moment, then it would seem to be the Camaro to be your pick. It has outran the 370z on every road course I've seen. Of course the 370z will be able to surpass it in the corners with your average drivers, yet that doesn't count for much in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
but the Miata looks bad. the 370z and camaro at least have the looks.

again most people here look at is drag numbers. go to the camaro VS threads. all drag.... and they rag on BMWs, 370z, STIs etc when those cars are overall better performance wise.
heres my only thing i want this thread to understand.

if you want a good everyday car that is practical, more reliable, cheaper to fix and mod. comes with a softer suspension, with a big engine. and looks fantastic. get the camaro.

if you want a car that is not very practical, only has two seats ,small trunk, tighter and stuffer suspension, higher revving engine. and you want to go at least a day-week, maybe a month without seeing another on the road and you want people to ask you want kind of car is that. go for a 370z. pretty much a car that is driven by 95% enthusiast. geez with that description sounds like a ferrari also lol
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #96
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
370Z is a very rare car for a mass production sports car in its price range.

It is fast but suffers the same fate as the v6 Camaro and most v6 cars, once you add full bolt ons (exhaust intake etc) it really hits a brick wall in terms of modding. From my experiences with V6s its harder to go turbo or Sc just because most V6s tend to be "maxxed" out from the factory. Of course there is power to be made on a V6 Camaro or 370Z over stock, but not much without extensive modifications.

The SS or any V8 in general there is way way more power to be made, more reliably, more easily, and cheaper.

So ultimately when it comes to performance the SS is the way to go. I wouldnt even bring handling into the equation solely for the fact that the 5th gen Camaro can be made to handle great. Throw some coil overs on your ls and while it wont handle as good as a 370Z it will get close compared to a stock one.

The biggest pros I can see are these then:
1.) Its more rare
2.) More of a traditional sports car (2 seats, handling, size)
3.) It will hold value over time compared to an LS Camaro (SS will be about the same probably in 10 years, compare 350z and 02 SS/Z28s)

Yeah thats about it though after that

Pros for the V6 Camaro/SS
1.) Looks (Both)
2.) Performance (SS)
3.) Comfort (Both)
4.) Aftermarket support (Both, way more 5th gen camaros sold than 370Z, time will tell though)

Keep in mind that the 370Z is about $10,000 more compared to a base V6 Camaro. Thus it should be a better car and overall it is. The problem I have then is that for what you are going to pay for it, you might be better off with the SS.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #97
Brian52682

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
My cousin and Aunt both have a 370z and they live in Nashville. My cousin has the Nismo and my Aunt has a fully loaded 370Z but no Nismo package. I don't really pay attention to the Nismo branding or the ground effects, etc. I just know I see 350/370Z's all over the place from North Alabama up to Nashville but I'm sure that's due to the Nissan plant out in Smyrna, TN and the amount of people that live around these areas that worked or work there.
Brian52682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #98
ya boy willz

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Really, so how is asserting that road courses, specifically the handling characteristic that makes cars excel on most tracks, are what people should be focusing on not biased or something more than opinion? To back that up, he simply said "this is what the rest of the world cares about." Quite frankly, who cares? This is about the OP's preferences not the world's. Speaking of preferences, I thought weirdest thing was that his preference was allegedly handling, yet someone gave a great comparison involving the Miata, of which he denied. This was meant to show that buying on only one characteristic was simply absurd. To reiterate, he wanted the OP to choose the 370z because it was a "better performer" in mike's eyes; weirdly, he backed this up with looking at one variable, handling, and, ironically, of which he showed his disagreement with Camaro enthusiasts looking only at "drag times," to show which car was the supposedly better performer. In reality, if one wants the track star of the moment, then it would seem to be the Camaro to be your pick. It has outran the 370z on every road course I've seen. Of course the 370z will be able to surpass it in the corners with your average drivers, yet that doesn't count for much in the end.
Look at the very post you quoted. He discussed the practicality of the car, reliability, space/room in each car, engines, looks, suspension and rarity. This to me is an unbiased review because he didn't simply state the car sucked just because it was a Nissan and provided no real evidence. I don't agree with all the points but that doesn't mean it's not a good review.

Whether he places a bias on road courses, drag times, or even how many grocery bags can fit in the trunk is his decision. Every thing you say will have some sort of bias you should know this. Maybe I should have stated one of the least biased reviews v I really don't know what compelled you to start this useless argument that contributes nothing to the thread. Your were either very offended by me saying his review was unbiased or your trolling me