Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
Battery tender problems

I am using a Die Hard battery tender which is having problems this year. Last year it worked great without an issue, but this year it keeps reporting an error.

If the tender is unable to charge the battery at 4amps over 12 hours it will error out. I charged my battery at 10amps then connected my tender and it worked fine for about 1 week, now it is having problems maintaining a charge.

Does anyone know of a problem where the car drains the battery when in storage?

Thanks,

ED
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
My battery would be dead in the spring if I didn't start it up once a month and let it run for 15-20 minutes. I have a Schumacher SE-1-12S Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps on its way, should be here today. Not sure what is drawing power while the car is sitting, on-star maybe If I don't drive it for two or three weeks in the summer, the battery is obviously weak when I do go to start it.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
RS/4Life

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
Something must be wrong with your battery it should hold a charge....
RS/4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj7 View Post
I am using a Die Hard battery tender which is having problems this year. Last year it worked great without an issue, but this year it keeps reporting an error.

If the tender is unable to charge the battery at 4amps over 12 hours it will error out. I charged my battery at 10amps then connected my tender and it worked fine for about 1 week, now it is having problems maintaining a charge.

Does anyone know of a problem where the car drains the battery when in storage?

Thanks,

ED
You are using too much amperage. When you put your car away it will already be charged. I have a Schumacher battery tender. It is low amperage and is designed to keep the battery topped up, not charge it. Starting your car and letting it run for a few minutes every so often is a very bad idea. The car does not warm up properly if it is not driven and when you shut it off it sucks in condensation through the exhaust. The Schumacher is about $20.00 at Wallmart.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
I had a similar problem last year because I hooked the battery tender up from the remote location under the hood. This year, I've hooked it up directly to the battery in the trunk. I was losing amperage as the charge was traveling to the battery.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
If the unit does not adjust its amperage automatically and switch to a float mode where it only charges when needed at a lower rate, you are gonna cook the battery with those amperage's....

These work flawlessly:

Battery Tender
Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Kunihiro1

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
I agree, I think it's your battery.

Like Hypurone, I use the Battery Tender product, but I use:

http://batterytender.com/automotive/...emisphere.html

It's a "float charger", so I have it hooked up all the time.

That guy from here on the board "SouthernCarparts" also sells these:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133216

'69 SS Camaro
2SS/RS, CGM, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pfadt Suspension, Airaid intake (Sold)

71 RS Camaro (Sold)
Z Car (Sorry, Nissan 350Z)
Kunihiro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
If the unit does not adjust its amperage automatically and switch to a float mode where it only charges when needed at a lower rate, you are gonna cook the battery with those amperage's....

These work flawlessly:

Battery Tender
+1

I have one of the battery tender's hypurone posted the link to. Works great.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
soniccj7

The die hard is a tender, which does shutoff once it is at a normal voltage. I will try hooking it up in the trunk.

I just hate taking the cover off and then putting it back on.

Just strange it worked fine last year.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj7 View Post
The die hard is a tender, which does shutoff once it is at a normal voltage. I will try hooking it up in the trunk.

I just hate taking the cover off and then putting it back on.

Just strange it worked fine last year.
I understand your point but if the battery doesn't need to be charged at 4 amps for 12 hours (as you state the charger wants to do or it has problems) you can overcharge it and cook it... IF I am reading your post wrong please clarify...

I use the battery tender I listed and DO NOT have it hooked directly to the battery (I use the points under the hood) and it has worked perfectly for the past 2 years....

Just sayin'....
Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
soniccj7

I think it was at 4amps, I should check again.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I understand your point but if the battery doesn't need to be charged at 4 amps for 12 hours (as you state the charger wants to do or it has problems) you can overcharge it and cook it... IF I am reading your post wrong please clarify...

I use the battery tender I listed and DO NOT have it hooked directly to the battery (I use the points under the hood) and it has worked perfectly for the past 2 years....

Just sayin'....
Same here. If the tender and battery are OK, using the points under the hood will work just fine. My car sat for 4 months on the Battery Tender last winter. Didn't start it once. It's been on the tender for 6 weeks already this year, and no red light.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Sonicccj7:

That "Die Hard Battery Maintainer" has a switch for 4A @6 Volts and @ 2A @ 12 volts. You have the switch in the wrong voltage setting. There will be an error because the Battery voltage is greater than what the charger is set for.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I highly recommend the Battery Tender. I have used them on my cars for over 15 years without any problems and they have never over charged a battery.