Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #43
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
I don't know why "AWD doesn't help you brake" comes up in these arguments all the time. When has the drive wheels ever helped you brake?
Most people only think about getting their vehicle moving in the snow and ignore what can happen once its moving. Maybe I'm crazy but I place a higher value on getting my vehicle to its destination without incident than I do on just getting out of the driveway. That means being able to avoid accidents, or at least minimizing the damage, this is where braking comes in. An SUV can't slow down as well as a car can, and AWD vehicles are worse (due to their added weight) than their 2WD counterparts. Same holds true for handling. The number of drive wheels does nothing to help you in these areas, but driving 4 vs 2 does hurt.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #44
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Nah DG, I disagree. I think you're reaching. I think the biggest difference is people in AWD's get cocky and don't get snow tires. That's going to make the most difference given equal driving skill. I'd bet there's minimal difference between a 5k lb SUV and a 3k lb car if you put Blizzak's on both of them. In fact, I'd bet the truck will do better if it's still snow and not ice since it's going to dig deeper and build a wedge faster.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #45
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
. An SUV can't slow down as well as a car can, and AWD vehicles are worse (due to their added weight) than their 2WD counterparts. Same holds true for handling. The number of drive wheels does nothing to help you in these areas, but driving 4 vs 2 does hurt.

My friends AWD 09 Subaru Impreza weighs only 3,064 lbs and is a freakin monster in the snow with his green diamond tires. He can out drive just about anything on the road when the conditions get bad. I'd put good money that he can out stop any 2WD and has 100x better accident avoidance with his light weight AWD car with his sand paper tires. It also a lot easier and successful to power out of a un-controllable slide in a AWD vs FWD and RWD.

Most new AWD's have an intelligent traction control with different terrain settings that can brake and put power to certain tires to save you life and keep the driver in control vs a 2WD with no aid's to save your life because it was never intended to be driven in snow.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #46
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I am fortunuate enough to have a CTS-V Wagon in the driveway for a weeks.

I can't speak to the propulsion with the SRT8, but I can say the V Wagon is Holy %^&* mother %^&* fast. And it's a Cadillac.

But the SRT8 is probably cheaper, just not as fast and for sure and SUV won't handle anywhere close to what a V Wagon can do.

So cost would be the only reason to consider the Jeep.

Cadillac is faster, handles better and looks at least as good as the Jeep.

Wait, Cadillac or Jeep? Just sounds like the answer should be Cadillac on even the simplest level.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #47
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I can't speak to the propulsion with the SRT8, but I can say the V Wagon is Holy %^&* mother %^&* fast. And it's a Cadillac.

But the SRT8 is probably cheaper, just not as fast and for sure and SUV won't handle anywhere close to what a V Wagon can do.

Wait, Cadillac or Jeep? Just sounds like the answer should be Cadillac on even the simplest level.
Let's not earn Cadillac the "BMW cliche". Simple thoughts give simple answers, but life is complex.

For clarification I'd go for the CTS coupe or sedan but not the wagon.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #48
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Sorry 3. But the wagon is UGLY
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #49
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
My friends AWD 09 Subaru Impreza weighs only 3,064 lbs and is a freakin monster in the snow with his green diamond tires. He can out drive just about anything on the road when the conditions get bad. I'd put good money that he can out stop any 2WD and has 100x better accident avoidance with his light weight AWD car with his sand paper tires. It also a lot easier and successful to power out of a un-controllable slide in a AWD vs FWD and RWD.

Most new AWD's have an intelligent traction control with different terrain settings that can brake and put power to certain tires to save you life and keep the driver in control vs a 2WD with no aid's to save your life because it was never intended to be driven in snow.
Exactly, not all AWD are heavier, Patriot AWDs weigh around 3400 pounds which is roughly less than what most midsize cars weight. While I don't use dedicated snow tires, the factory Goodyear SRA on/offroad tires do really well in snow and ice.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #50
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:

Um, the acceleration on the Jeep may surprise you, the old one could as the old one could 60 in the mid 3s and 1/4 miles in the low 13s, and handling may surprise you too as the old one could hit .89g skidpad and had brakes by brembo, so i wouldn't count out braking either, considering the new one is on a much better platform with 45 extra hp and while the caddy may be little quicker and better handling, it is certainly not an easy chooice towards the caddy, especially with the likely price difference.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #51
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Man, I never get tired of the sound of a small block chevy. Great vid.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #52
BigDan

Quote:

Nice! do you have any pic's or video of it?

I'm pretty sure the SRT8 is gonna be quicker to 60 mph then the V wagon. The old one already beats this Caddy's 4.7 second time to 60 mph. I think the 1/4 will go to the V wagon though but who knows because the old SRT8 was running 12's pre-production but then increased torque management to make it more civilized. I think the new GC SRT-8 is capable of 12.7's stock but think Chrysler is going to hold it back in the lower gears like GM does with the SS.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #53
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I may sound stupid here but isn't braking kind of pointless without traction? Doesn't AWD vehicles provide much more traction that their FWD/RWD counterparts?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #54
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
It's simply the worlds fastest wagon vs. the worlds fastest SUV.

The V wagon will outrun the Jeep in pretty much any situation.

So the question is do you need more utility or more performance. That is the tradeoff that I see between these two.

And no, I wouldn't be surprised at how fast the Jeep is nor will I if the new one delivers on the predicted specs. It just going to be heavier, higher and less HP than the V Wagon.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #55
BigDan

Quote:

The V wagon will outrun the Jeep in pretty much any situation.
What about the most common situation, the dreaded red light situation? That's where all the GC SRT-8's feed, and pick on us high hp RWD's with cold low profile tires. Ive had to decline a few times because you must know what its like trying to hook up or launch a supercharged 550hp rwd car on the street.

Did you get the auto or manual?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #56
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
I'm not even a dad, but I'd have to choose the wagon. I've never liked driving trucks (mainly the reason I have the only coupe in the family), and since I don't intend to live anywhere that sees snow, it's only reasonable I get something fun to play around with.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote