Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
mma

Drives: 1LE
Another Oil Consumption Thread..

Hey,

I know there's a bunch of oil consumption threads out there, and I did my best to research most of them, but I still can't find the advice or direction to go from here.

I drive a v6 A6 LFX purchased in May 2014 with no modifications done on the engine. There was a couple of times where I would get the low oil message on my dash and find that the dipstick is nearly dry. Took it to the dealer every time to get topped off and to hopefully figure out what's going on. The dealer did an oil consumption test and found that some reason my engine is burning a lot more than what it's supposed to (about 1qrt every ~1000 miles). No oil puddles at home or work, and most of my driving is highway, and I don't push the car more than it needs to. The dealer also noted that there was scratches found inside some a cylinder, did not specify which in the documentation. They had the engine swapped out for a new one at ~23000 miles. Thought that would be the end of it.. unfortunately not the case.

With engine #2, I'm at about 2700 miles, and I'm already getting the same symptoms I was getting with engine #1, where I get a low oil warning on the dash, and a nearly dry dipstick. Took it to the dealer again recently and we're doing another oil consumption test.

I understand that the LFX is apparently designed to burn some oil, but the amount of oil I'm burning can't be normal. It's almost like I never need an oil change because I end up burning it off and topping it off every once in a while. The only modification I have is an axle back MRT v1, and oil is sometimes found there as well, but the service technician believes that the exhaust does not have anything to do with it, as do I.. and all my driving is 20-30 minute highway driving 2-3x a week, parked for 24hrs.

I was hoping for some advice on how to proceed here. Surely there is a problem going on here... seems like I'm getting a batch of bad engines or something? or maybe I don't know how to drive.. (even though I'm using cruise control 80% of the time)
Thank you!
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
My old LLT with a supercharger burned a quart every 1000 miles, the junkyard LLT I swapped it with burns even more. It sucks but at least I don't have to worry about oil changes lol. Just keep a quart in your trunk, check your dipstick at every gas station fill up, and get a catch can to prevent any buildup. You should be fine and will always have fresh oil.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Rahjeir

Drives: 2014 1LT w/RS Summit White
I also have a 2014 1LT RS with 9,500 miles on her. I've have yet see a noticeable drop in oil level. I changed the factory oil at 500 miles during break in and then again at 4500. Going in next week for my third oil change. I have a mix of NYC traffic miles and New Jersey highway mileage. Not easy miles.
Rahjeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I was using about 1/4 qt of oil between changes. turns out the oil was too thin.

I add a few 10w-30 with my oil change and the consumption stopped.

Not saying this will work in your case, as yours is excessive, but will certainly reduce the amount burned. What oil are you using?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Breaking the engine in properly for good ring seating is crucial, if the rings do not seat properly in that first few hundred miles, it is very difficult for the rings to further abrade into the shape of the cylinder wall as the cross hatch hone gets covered with a hard glaze that sets in.

Follow the owners manual and it is a gamble. Some do seat, but a lot of times they do not. If they do not, this allows excessive blow-by as the rings never had a chance to properly wear into the cylinder walls:

Now, if you run an Elite E2 or E2-X system (dual valve with cleanside separator as well) you may find a decrease in consumption after 500-1000 miles of driving if the cause is excessive deposits and varnish build-up in the ring lands and on the rings. This causes them to stick and not be able to move freely to properly seal as well.

Let us know if you need more guidance.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
mma

Drives: 1LE
Thanks for the insight guys. I will provide an update once I go back the dealer after I finish the oil economy test. As far as what oil goes in, I'm assuming its the standard dexos they use, not sure what blend.. still taking advantage of their free oil changes until I start doing my own.
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
wfolarry

Drives: 2010 Silver V6/M6
I have a 2010 that's always used oil. The problem is you never know when it's going to start drinking it. I check the oil usually every other fill up & it's fine. Then one time I'll check it & it's 2 quarts low. Doesn't matter city or highway driving. I take a regular trip to Ohio. One time it doesn't use any. Next time 2 quarts. I should have gone for a new engine when it was under warranty. Always have a couple quarts in the trunk. Tried 10W30 no difference. It does do better with Penzoil than Mobil. No leaks. Catch can maybe 2-3 oz's when I change the oil.
I always thought it had something to do with the direct injection. I remember back in 1990 I bought a new Kenworth with a Cummins Big Cam 4 in it. Had a similar problem. Truck went in for repair on a different problem & I told the service guy about it. He said they had a problem with the spray pattern on the injectors & would change them out. Never used any oil after that.
Seeing all the fancy piston designs they're coming up with for direct injection makes me wonder.
wfolarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
My LLT burns very little to no oil. I broke mine in hard.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
My LLT burns very little to no oil. I broke mine in hard.
I broke my LLT in hard and I have yet had to add any oil to my 2010 but I only have 53,000 miles. My car did develope an oil leak at the main engine to transmission seal. Dealer fixed the oil leak has been fine since. I use Penzoil 5W30 non synthetic oil and do my own oil changes at 3000-3500 miles.

I still check my oil frequently and rarely have short trips or city only driving.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
My 2010 1LT Camaro has never burned a drop of oil. She has 40K plus miles on her. She been raced & driven hard. Oil changed every 3000 mi. Used Mobile 1 for first few years now use Pennzoil ultra Platinum. Guess I have been pretty lucky so far. Hope you can get your issue resolved.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #11
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Knock on wood, 63K miles, and burns no oil. Completely stock. Bought used. Daily driver, driven normally, but I do play with him regularly
Old 08-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfolarry View Post
I have a 2010 that's always used oil. The problem is you never know when it's going to start drinking it. I check the oil usually every other fill up & it's fine. Then one time I'll check it & it's 2 quarts low. Doesn't matter city or highway driving. I take a regular trip to Ohio. One time it doesn't use any. Next time 2 quarts. I should have gone for a new engine when it was under warranty. Always have a couple quarts in the trunk. Tried 10W30 no difference. It does do better with Penzoil than Mobil. No leaks. Catch can maybe 2-3 oz's when I change the oil.
I always thought it had something to do with the direct injection. I remember back in 1990 I bought a new Kenworth with a Cummins Big Cam 4 in it. Had a similar problem. Truck went in for repair on a different problem & I told the service guy about it. He said they had a problem with the spray pattern on the injectors & would change them out. Never used any oil after that.
Seeing all the fancy piston designs they're coming up with for direct injection makes me wonder.
I experienced exactly this. Was used to pouring in an extra quart every couple months. Then all of a sudden I am 4 quarts low over the course of two months. Spun a bearing cause of it
Now I always check the oil every fill up
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
BryanS209

Drives: Bold
[B]BURNS OIL NOT RUBBER!!!

I have a 2014 Camaro with the v6. I took it to the dealer last June at Approx 11K. The dealer performed an oil consumption test where they pull the dipstick every 1,000 miles X 6. The results showed I was burning 1 qt. every 1,000 miles. GM authorized the dealer to replace the PCV valve and valve cover. Was instructed to come in every 1,000 miles X6 for another oil consumption test. I was not happy about another test so I called on the California Bureau of automotive affairs. They told me that they have no jurisdiction over GM and advised me to continue the oil consumption test. He also told me that he still had to go see the dealer since I had contacted them. Ever since the dealer reports that the engine oil consumption is 1/2 qt. every 1,000 miles. Just finished the second oil consumption test and the dealer told me GM considers 1qt. every 2,000 miles normal. How convenient. When I asked the dealer and GM a year ago what is considered acceptable GM told me to ask the dealer and the dealer told me they didn't know. I will never buy a GM again. I have been advised that this issue causes premature O2 sensor failure as well as plugs up the catalytic converters and I have been told this Camaro has 4. I think I will get a rear window sticker that reads Burns Oil Not Rubber!! with a thumbs down to GM and the dealership. I may even seek legal counsel. Maybe do a little research to find out if there is a class action lawsuit against GM.
BryanS209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I have just over 93K miles on my 2010 LLT. Broke it in using the "HARD METHOD". Modified it extensively over the years, (see "my build" thread in my signature, for all my mods and more). I have made over 170 passes on the 1/4 mile track during the first 4 years. Just after I stopped making 1/4 mile runs (67K miles on the odometer at that time), is when I started noticing that I am using about a 1/2 qt. of oil per 2000 miles. I have been changing my own oil using Mobil 1 synthetic, at approx. every 4K miles. I make sure to check the oil level weekly when it is parked in the garage after sitting overnight.