Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
2Taco

Drives: 2014 2SS Convertible
AFM Disabler

On my recent trip to Florida I found the AFM to be a bit annoying while cruising around the city. Knowing that I will probably never do anything to permanently disable it (i.e., a tune), I decided to go the route of the Range Technology device.

I found one for sale on the big auction site. The seller said it was about 3 years old and he had been using it in a Tahoe. I rolled the dice hoping that it was new enough that it would work on my 2014 without a firmware update. I was able to get it for only $86. It arrived yesterday.

I popped it into the OBDII port and took it for a spin. I drove it about 30 miles on a trip I had to make across town. I drove on a combination of city streets and a short section of interstate. So far, so good. The car feels better and without all the transitioning from 8 to 4 to 8 cylinders it seems much "smoother".

I like it. It did seem like I could watch the gas gauge go down as the speedometer went up! Maybe that was my foot and not the device.
2Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I've been using mine for over 3 years with no problems at all (other than leaving it in for more than 4 days without driving the car). Much more fun driving a full-time V8!
I've seen about a 1 to 2 mpg drop with it in, which is well worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Well worn subject but you "can" see some issues with one. I bought one used that was only a year old and occasionally get the Christmas tree, dash light up with power steering going into limp mode, etc. You may not. If you do, many here suggested to unplug it on start up as it rarely fails while driving, only during the diagnostic part of a start up.

Other than that, I like it. I don't know if it's possible but I'd love to tune it out to work in Drive but not in Manual. (I know the paddles delete it)

Range Tech will reprogram for you if you contact them and send it in. Not sure if there is a charge. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Zero issues with mine.

I'm averaging 15.2mpg in mine, but I didn't buy her to get good gas mileage. At this rate, I figure I'll get 8-9 with a supercharger.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
No issues here
Old 09-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I did the exact same thing and love it. Hated the AFM and this is not my daily driver. Those AFM lifters should have never gone into an SS. Wish I knew how to disable those LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Exactly!!!

We should have gotten the LS3 regardless of transmission just like in the Corvette.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
I've been using mine for over 3 years with no problems at all (other than leaving it in for more than 4 days without driving the car). Much more fun driving a full-time V8!
I've seen about a 1 to 2 mpg drop with it in, which is well worth it in my opinion.
I'm tuned now but did have a Range for a year before that. Since I'm tuned I would say my car is overall better on fuel in real world driving than it was stock with AFM working. AFM does work and can save fuel but it needs a level road with the wind at your back to do it which just doesn't fit with reality.

I would say I get slightly less tuned on the highway (very slightly) but the car is much better around town where it actually gets driven.

I would have loved a LS3 as others have noted but alas we didn't get it....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
You still may want to send it in for the firmware update to avoid no start/stabilatrak issues.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
SSD1400

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Range AFM Disabler For Sale $85

Just sold my Camaro SS, but before I did, I pulled the Range AFM Disabler. It has the latest firmware and works perfectly. I will also include a blue LED cabin/trunk bulb and an OEM cabin/trunk bulb. If you want it, PM me. $85.
SSD1400 is offline   Reply With Quote