Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
What is your story?

Having been on the site for awhile now, I notice the bickering between V6 and V8 owners at times.
I realize that everyone has a reason why they bought the Camaro they bought.
What is your story?

Mine....My first Camaro, bought with my own money back in 1977 was a 1967 250 inline 6 cylinder, automatic 2 speed, with Crager S/S wheels.
This Camaro I had all through High School and had alot of memories. I had been looking to find another 67 6 cyl, but it is almost impossible, when I have found one it is fully restored and asking way to much for it.
Then came along the 5th gen, WOW, the modern styling with a hint of the 1st gen.
Why not a V6? Over 300 HP? My inline had (I'm Guessing) 100hp?

My LS will probably remain stock except for ....you guessed it, Crager S/S wheels and maybe tinted windows.

I am LOVING it as my DAILY DRIVER!

So, what is YOUR story?
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
AlohaBR, ther are a lot of us that similar stories.....I bought my first Camaro in 1976, but it was my very first NEW car, and my dad helped me buy it. (financing and all ya know for an 18 yr old) I really wanted a X28, but alas, sinces its introduction, there was ONLY ONE YEAR the Z28 wasn't produced, 1976. So I opted for a Rally Sport. SO know I fast forward to 2010.....all the kids are out of the house and although I have had project cars ovwer the years....and the 5th gen was out....it was time again....and once again.....there was no Z28 :{(...so I wanted to get the same model I had as my FIRST. As you mentioned it has PLENTY of horse power for most....and it does for me....I can get in PLENTY of trouble the way it is.....and I don't intend to race it on the track, which is the only place to race.....not to mention, cheeper to operate, cheeper on insurance....
Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
OK, you asked...

This is going to reveal my age...

In 1969, I was 17. I was driving a 1962 Ford Falcon. That year, TWO of my buddies got brand new 1969 Camaro Z/28s. The car instantly became the car of my dreams. One of the cars was Garnet Red with Black stripes.

A few months later, at 2 AM, I heard loud screeching and crashing sounds outside my home. When I got outside, there was the garnet red Z. My friend was driving while intoxicated, banging gears and totaled his car in my front yard!

Turn the clock ahead to 2005. Married, two kids are now grown and out of the home. I have more free time on my hands and I am looking to get back into cars. I go to the hobby store, buy a model of a 1969 Camaro Z/28 and give it to my wife to give back to me as a Christmas gift. Four months later, we go to spring Carlisle and purchase a 1969 Camaro Z/28 RS. This one is white. I didn't know much about the pedigree of Camaros, but didn't care. It looked great. (BTW, the car model is still sitting on the table in our studio, partially assembled. It's been painted white.)

I joined the local Camaro club and learned more about Camaros. I decided I needed a second one. (You are always working on one, especially when they are 40 years old.) Through the help of a new-found friend and Camaro expert, Jerry MacNeish, I found my second Camaro, a 1969 Camaro Z/28 RS. Garnet Red with Black stripes. Found the car in California.

So, after all these years, I have the same model of car that I fell in love with in 1969, but couldn't have then.

When Chevrolet announced that they were bringing back the Camaro in 2009, I thought, "Perhaps I need 'bookends'". But, that's a another story...
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
Never had a muscle car when I was young, I was always doing the "practical" thing instead. With being in my late 40's now, I could treat myself to a special car. Have considered a restored classic for years, but need an everyday driver. For me, the 2010 Camaro w/ 6 cyl was the perfect combination of power/performance...and still being a little practical. Heck, I got 29mpg on my summer road trip with my 14 yr old son.

And then I took the extra money I didn't spend on the V8 and dressed up my car a little.

You know what I noticed? When I went for a Camaro group cruise through the mountains a few weeks ago, my V6 went the same speed as the V8's and even the supercharged V8's.

How about that!

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
AlohaBR

Nice stories.
69's are awesome and the 76 was a great 2nd gen Camaro.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
AlohaBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
Never had a muscle car when I was young, I was always doing the "practical" thing instead. With being in my late 40's now, I could treat myself to a special car. Have considered a restored classic for years, but need an everyday driver. For me, the 2010 Camaro w/ 6 cyl was the perfect combination of power/performance...and still being a little practical. Heck, I got 29mpg on my summer road trip with my 14 yr old son.

And then I took the extra money I didn't spend on the V8 and dressed up my car a little.

You know what I noticed? When I went for a Camaro group cruise through the mountains a few weeks ago, my V6 went the same speed as the V8's and even the supercharged V8's.

How about that!
Exactly how I feel, they all do 55-80 mph, I just get some AWESOME gas mileage!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
My first car was a '95 Camaro that I bought in 2005 right after high school graduation. All my life I wanted a Camaro, but never thought I would get one at a young age because of insurance. Then I found one for sale by owner. It was poorly taken care of and a V6, but I was able to pay for it in cash, all by myself and was able to afford the insurance (just liability). It got me through my four years in undergrad and I fixed it up to look better along the way.

When I graduated college in 2009, I needed a newer, more reliable car so I wouldn't have any problems when I moved to Houston for some more school. I wanted a Camaro, but dealerships in my area were pricing them way over msrp so there was no way I could afford it on a student budget. Since I wanted a rear-wheel drive car, I went with a Charger (2.7L V6)...

Forward to July 2010: After finding that the insurance on a Camaro was cheaper than my Charger, I decided to start my search for a Camaro again Since I am paying for med school, and an apartment, I knew the V6 is the only option for me right now. I'm going to enjoy my dream car, and who knows: Maybe after I'm done with school (2013), I'll get the Z28 as a reward to myself!!!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Had always loved Camaros and had one when I was 16 a 78'. And my dad had them when I was a baby and still has a 67' RS/SS. And I found a 68' alittle over 10yrs. ago and had it rebuilt. And thought it would be awesome to have the past and the 2010 to match. And we have a blast cruiseing w/ them together.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
My dad bought a rusty old '69 Camaro used when I was in college in 1978. He let me use it occasionally to drive to school. He sold it a few months later (he was always swapping cars to make a buck). I was so bummed when he sold that '69, I nearly cried. Best looking rust bucket ever and a gas to drive! I swore then that I'd someday have a car like that and NO ONE would take it away from me.

I did get a '78 with the small V8 in it used in 1982, It was ok, but didn't have the same appeal as the '69.

So, until last year, I'd been thinking about someday getting a '69 Camaro until I saw a 2010 2SS sitting on the local dealer's lot. First car I've seen that had as much appeal aesthetically as the '69. Drove it. Ordered one the same day.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
53 years old now. When I was a kid, my older brother was a car guy with his 57 Chevy(s) and I was a horse nut like most girls are. He is who got me going on loving Chevrolet, even though the first car daddy bought me was a 65 mustang with a 6 cyl 3 spd manual.
I went through a string of boyfriends with hot cars and I always loved the chevy's most. Especially those big block cars! I dated one guy with a 69 Camaro SS 396 in that burgandy color, and I fell in love with that car! (the guy, not so much). Well I've had the opportunity to drive a NASACAR Galaxie XL,'454 vettes, trans am/firebirds, vipers, camaros, chevelles, el camino's, monte carlos; all big v-8s so I know what they do, and I know how much trouble I could get into in one.
A few years back when the gas prices were outrageous I bought a Cobalt. Loved my little yaller car! Stopped by the Appleway Chevrolet dealership in July just to see if I mightn't trade up; meybe a Cobalt SS or something. Walked by the RS Camaro in IBM with silver decals and went "whoof"... Bob the Salesman noticed my interest and asked "wanna drive it?"
I was impressed with what power the v6 has and I don't need any more. I'm 53, I just want to cruise in style and let the rest of the world get speeding tickets. Bob let me drive that RS, it was love at first gear. "Trigger" came home with me that night!
That's MY story!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
A lot of thoughts on this, but...

1) Wanted to wait for the 'vert (which was tough) so we didn't do the early order thing

2) Vert kept getting pushed back, and then the bankruptcy thing reared its head

3) Wife said why don't we try and get one now just in case GM doesn't make it back? That's all it took so I was on the phone fast as we could agree on options/colors (which was tough). When mama wants a new Camaro now, who am I to say no? (in case she changed her mind later)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I started with a 69 RS/SS stock 350 4spd.(see my garage) when I was 16. I ran hard and won many street races untill I blew it up. But I was hooked on Camaros. A couple vehicles later I bought the blue 68 RS. Iput alot of time effort, work, $$ and a bad A$$ 454 in it. I was in the Air Force and 2 weeks before I was to go to Germany I got T-Boned, :( I scrambled and put the drive train into the brown coupe that I paid $700 for. drove it NY (home at the time). Came back 2 yrs. later and had no time to do what I wanted to it. That was in '88. I still had the fever for the first Gen's so when I saw the concept I had to have it. Mean while I did the Caddy, (my wife didn't want me to have a muscle car). I still have the Caddy buts for sale. I'd say that the 2010 is the best car I've ever owned, but i do miss the torque of a Big block.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
PS I bought the 2010 SS/RS with out telling the WIFE! She's cool now I let her drive it when I'm AK for work.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Came from a faraway land worked my a$$ off still do put my priorities right side up , now was the time to have and enjoy a great piece of AMERICANA , they did a great job on bring the history back .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote