Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
ToddSOhio

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
General Tires G-Max AS-03 in the Snow

Hey all, thought I'd share this, as my first official post to the forums. I've read many post, about all sorts of things, but mostly about tires, and driving in the snow.

After many weeks of deliberation, and research I finally decided to ditch the P-Zero's and go with the G-Max AS-03 which I got from Tire Rack, and had installed on Tuesday. I was very happy with the performance, and feel immediately. It was a noticeably smoother ride than the P-Zero's. Grant it, the P-Zero's were hard as Hot Wheels tires, and performed the same as a plastic tire in the bitter cold of winter, which is why they are summer tires (which I admit, I was naive and had no idea).

I know that I read a lot of questions about how they perform in the snow. I seen lots of positive responses about light snow, and a few "they are ok". Long story short, we live in an apartment complex that is very hilly, and today was the day that we got a crap ton more snow (2"-3") in a very short period of time, so we went for a drive. Rather than me say how wonderful they did, here's a link to a video I shot of us going up and down the hills, that would have gotten us stuck with the P-Zero's, to show you how well they perform.

ToddSOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Nice review. Nothing wrong with the Pirelli's but like ANY summer tire they are not good in the snow. An all season like the Gmax which are good tires will get you through lite snow. Thanks for posting!
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
MyRideIsHere

Drives: 98 z28, 13 LS, 14 SS, 14 ZL1
Just picked up my 2014 SS. Opted for the General G-Max AS-03 immediately. Here in Northern Indiana I am a 3 season Camaro driver... I am lucky enough to have an old Trailblazer for the FOURTH season.

Not sure when I am going to put the P-Zero's back on...
MyRideIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I have these tires for over 4000 miles now. They are great tires in dry/wet and snow. So glad to have got rid of the pirellis. Those p-zero could not even get up driveway with less than 1/4 inch of dusting.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
My goal was complete independence from the tire shop. Tire Rack and Rudy really hooked me up. Originally, my thought was to wait until fall and buy a complete wheel/winter setup. But I realized another worthy use for the UPH A/S is summer and fall road trips so you don't use up your 200 tread wear Pirellis on the highway. So I bought wheels (Motegi 126) with these General tires. I've only got 400 miles on them, all dry with some highway miles so can't comment on snow but, one of my trips is scheduled for November crossing the Smokies when it can certainly snow then. I will NOT get caught out on summers. Not sure when/if the OE wheel-tire package will go back on.

Also, I have to comment on the completeness of the TR package. It comes with all the hardware, custom chrome lugs, centering rings, center caps and even the Allen wrench for the caps and tool for the lugs. I had the wheels outfitted with their own TPMS amd bought the tool to code them to the car. The extras do add up but now, I am completely free from the tire shop and can swap wheels and tires at will. The installation is just a normal procedure tire change. I use a floor jack. Remember to re-torque after 100 miles. Piece O' Cake.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Indydriver

These things are massive...The tread pattern certainly looks like it will be good at evacuating water and snow.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Indydriver

Very happy with the end result. Oh yeah, this combo also saves 13.5 lbs per corner of unsprung weight! Nice job Rudy!
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I love my GMax AS. 26K and have worn perfectly. Great traction but weaker side walls and weaker cornering. Biggest downer is they are noisy after 5K. I'd buy again because of my driving style and location.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
Indydriver

Good to read, stlrammer. And there really isn't a lot to choose from if I want to stay at OE sizes in a UPH A/S (at TR anyway). IIRC, there were these, much lower rated Firestone Firehawks and Contis for 50% more. Really disappointed in Bridgestone that they only offer non-premium rubber to Camaro owners. Some marketing genius has apparently decided that American Muscle Car Owners will only be interested in cheaper Firestone branded rubber. I'd love to have a selection of Potenzas.

Tags
g-max, general tires, snow, tires, winter