Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Custom Power Steering Upgrade Almost Ready Guys

Well if anyone has paid attention I was working and been working on this since November. Lots of testing for the pressure of the rack and pump were done, tested, adjusted over and over. Custom lines had to be made. Been back and forth for months because the fittings used on the OEM lines are not generic so they had to be custom made. The valve took many iterations until it flowed enough to work with the run of the lines.

Its a pretty well thought out system and should work perfectly.

Heres the kicker one fitting they flared on one end is the wrong NPT so I just Fed Ex the line back so they change it and get it back to me for the week. PLEASE EVERYONE PRAY. I am so anxious to install this so I will keep the thread alive as more info and testing happens.

I had several sets of these lines already made because there was a costly charge for custom lines and I searched and dealt with 2 companies. Lots of legwork and it better pay off.

Here is a photo of 90% of the parts there are other items not shown in the photo such as the mounting bracket, return lines, clamps and other misc.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
fieldgoal00
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
how does this benefit our camaros from the factory power steering?
fieldgoal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
55Designs

This will give you adjustablity for the drag strip, track or street. the Camaro steering reminds most of us of an old school over assited Caddy. It sucks for driving hard the car is too twitchy when driving hard this should eliminate that and make for a more confident inspired car. Full blown suspension work alone doest cure this and in some cases makes it worse so this idea I have if it works as planned is the only true bolt in solution.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
So what exactly are you trying to accomplish, to compensate for the lack of "feel"?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
This will give you adjustablity for the drag strip, track or street. the Camaro steering reminds most of us of an old school over assited Caddy. It sucks for driving hard the car is too twitchy when driving hard this should eliminate that and make for a more confident inspired car. Full blown suspension work alone doest cure this and in some cases makes it worse so this idea I have if it works as planned is the only true bolt in solution.
I would think a hardcore drag racer would remove power steering all-in-all for weight reduction? hmmm

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
I would think a hardcore drag racer would remove power steering all-in-all for weight reduction? hmmm
I did remove the entire system for testing, it doesnt merit itself to removing due to the weight. the pump is light and composite and the rack is very light.

I did drive the car with no PS and it was difficult with the big 20' rubber up front.

Should have more news in the coming week.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Would the G8 PS pump solve the problem? I read in the other post that the G8 didn't have the over-assisted problem. BTW.....I'm sure everyone appreciates your patience and dedication to finding a workable solution.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
Would the G8 PS pump solve the problem? I read in the other post that the G8 didn't have the over-assisted problem. BTW.....I'm sure everyone appreciates your patience and dedication to finding a workable solution.
No clue on the G8 as there are NONE anywhere in sight from where I reside. There never were any G8 or GTO around here.

When we tested we found the pump is putting out too much PSI but the rack design also causes the return flow much quicker than other cars I have tested loaded and unloaded.

Just assembled the rest of the fittings and stuff. Waiting for one line to come back. Now I need to figure out a mounting location for my custom valve. I was anticipating having the Vararam intake by now so i can mount this unit where the stock airbox resides but all the crap about the Vararam causing issues is now going to create another obstacle for me to mount everything cleanly.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
YancyJohns

Drives: Camaro Performers Magazine
I'm hoping your idea works!
Camaro Performers Magazine SS/RS- 416 stroker, MagnaCharger TVS2300, DSE Sway, Baer 6S Brakes, Forgeline Wheels, BFG Rival, JBA Long tube/Exhaust, Center-Force Clutch, BMR-sfc,ta,tr, Energy Suspension poly kit, ADM CAI & Fuel pump, Norris PCV/Tune, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, DSS 9" rear ind rear, Innov. West pulleys/8 rib, Pedders Super cloil-overs, MGW shifter,/Seibon/ Anvil carbon Fiber. Owner-American Street Car Series and as seen on R U Faster than a Redneck?...lol
YancyJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
Thanks for posting your experiment 55Designs. As I'm getting used to my new SS, one of the things I'm not impressed with is the numb on-center feeling and the over boost sensation of the power steering. Almost reminds me of a Ford product from the 70's although not nearly that bad. All the previous HP GM cars I've owned always had a much higher effort and better feel to the steering. I don't see much chatter about this from the track guys or any vendors working on mods. Can this be improved with a different alignment settings?
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I remember reading a while back in a Car Mag that the designers of the Camaro spent time getting the steering system right in the car. It's amazing how they missed their goal.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
I remember reading a while back in a Car Mag that the designers of the Camaro spent time getting the steering system right in the car. It's amazing how they missed their goal.
What was their goal?

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
55Designs

GM goal was to save money so they dug into the parts bin for some overstock on a 1970 Caddy Deville LOL

Anyway guys its almost ready to roll. Working on the mounting today and should have one line back any day now. All other parts are assembled and bolted on.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Cool! Yet another cool mod!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote