Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Tecca

Drives: ...
Hennessey V6 Intake Review

Well myself and my brother installed the Hennessey intake yesterday. I gave it a day so I could cool down a bit because what should be a straight foward and simple install was more of a headache.

For a simple review I cannot get any more detailed than to say DO NOT BUY THIS INTAKE!!!!!!!! Wait for the Air Raid, Vararam, K&N or something else. That is unless they sell it for $100 because that is all it is worth.

Now for a in-depth review.

Purchase of the intake. This is where it started to get weird, I picked it up from ebay as I thought Hennessey changed thier ways I could trust them. Well the following day, I emailed Dave and James wondering on when it will ship. Dave said within 48 hours James said 2-3 weeks. I was rather confused as how two people can be so far off it was unbelievable. Luckily for me Dave was right and it shipped that Tuesday. Meantime with my talk on the phone James wasn't the most polite individual so if you are to deal with Hennessey I would go with John or Dave and skip James alltogether.

Reciept of the Intake. When I recieved it I was excited to get it installed but although I had plans to paint it I was floored on how bad cosmetically these pieces looked. The heat shield was scratch beyond belief, weld splatter and one crappy paint job. The tubes were pitted and were bead blasted to hide some of the pitting I believe. With all that said I was able to overlook everything as I didn't mind doing the prep work to get it looking right. In all honesty though the only times I have seen parts this bad is when they are used!!!!!!!

Installation. Well we went to install it yesterday as we finally had some clear skies to work in. Taking off the OEM intake took only 5 minutes if that. Before I go any further, they sent the instructions for the V8 intake and not the V6 . First thing we pop on was the heat shield. This is where the poor engineering started. It simply did not fit the tire well properly so we ended up having to use stuff we had lying around to make it fit properly. This step we used a bushing. Next problem we had they sent a bolt, washers and nuts to finish the installation of the shield, well there was no place to use the bolt they sent as it was simply two small. We ended up using a simple poppit. We went to install the the rest and the headaches got worse. First off they sent 3/8 hose which should have been 1/2" as everything on the the instake they supplied and the existing breather hose uses 1/2" If there engineers can explain on how to properly install a 3/8" hose over 1/2 inch fitting I am all ears. Anyway next problem is that the sensor fitting hole was either drilled wrong on the intake they sent me or they improperly installed it based on the picture they have on their website. As we all know the sensor as to go a certain direction to work properly. Plus they tapped the holes which was fine but for $500 you would expect them to send the machine screws to match them. Just another thing we had to go buy. Next we attatched the filter was was out of its wrapper, another thing to was probably used!!!!!

Performance The car did seem to run smoother and gave the GMPP exhaust a little more growl. I am happy in this aspect. I will respond back after I have some more miles with it but right now I am happy with it on this aspect.

Overall. I wouldn't recommend this kit to anybody unless they lower thier cost and get the engineering done right because there simply was way to many problems for a $500 intake. With all the changes I have done to my car in the last few months this is the only one I truly regret doing as I should have waited.

So this is what it looks like installed.

Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
thanks! I'll hold out to see what the other intakes can do
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Thanks for going through that for all of us. The pictures I saw of this intake did not make me feel it was well built and sounds like that is the case. It actually looks pretty good on your car. I am thinking Air Raid which is supposed to be out on the 12th.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Thanks for the honest review, she feel any faster?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
acehole

Drives: mits lancer oz
Would love to see a Hennessey rep come on here and defend that piece of crap and all the trouble you had....
acehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Hennessey Performance

Drives: THE EXORCIST
Teccbox - I am very sorry that you are not happy with the product. My guys may have accidentally sent you a pre-production system that is not 100% and not representative of our production system. We will be sending you a full refund tomorrow for both the part and shipping. We will also contact you to see about getting you an updated system,

I am sorry that you had this problem. And we will work to get you taken care of and 100% satisfied as soon as possible.
Hennessey Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
free intake? lol
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
$500.00 - It's hard to believe this type of intake cost $500.00

I think I paid $3XX.00 for a similarly designed intake for my GTO.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
Mr. Hennessey - I'm very glad to see you step in and make this right before no one on the forum even thinks twice about considering one of your products.

There are and will be a great number of us who purchase V6s who want to see just how well we can make this engine run, and there is no reason why V6 mod products should take a back seat to the V8 versions. So thank you very much for developing items for us - just sounds like you might need to move your desk out first to the customer service area of your factory so they shape up, and then out to the shipping department so those folks stay on their toes.
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
noisemker

Drives: RY 2LT/RS
did the intake change the sound at all
noisemker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Step in the right direction from Hennessey !
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Tecca

Drives: ...
First off I really appreciate that John and Dave are willing to help correct some of the issues I have had and willing to help my case out it truly shows that they do care about their customers and want to do the right thing.

When I did this post the last thing I wanted to do is bash Hennessey, I had had the pleasure to work with Dave who is a class act and is why I suggest anyone who buys a Hennessey product to deal with him. I am not a guy that asks for help or refunds because something is wrong I just try to make things work. So I just wanted to put up a truthful post, plus some of it might have been my fault as I should have known this was a pre-production model. So the production model will be a overall better system.

I will be calling tomorrow to see if we cannot correct some of the issues I had with mine and make sure the production model will work for anyone that wants one.

So lets get back to some of the questions you guys had.

Quote:
The pictures I saw of this intake did not make me feel it was well built
In all honesty, with all the tinkering we did to get it to fit right, it is very rigid and fits good. If the production model fixes my few shortcomings it is a very well built intake.

Quote:
she feel any faster?
She is really does have a little more pep and seems like a smoother drive as well.

Quote:
did the intake change the sound at all
Yes, it did especially in the cabin. It gave it more of a muscular growl. It is a great match with the GMPP exhaust.

Quote:
$500.00 - It's hard to believe this type of intake cost $500.00
In the end if the production CAI fixes the issue I had I would recommend this CAI at this cost.

I'll keep you guys posted once I get some more miles on it.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
try G5CR.com
Blacc Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
Germann

Drives: 2010 V6 Black Camaro
Its nice to see a retailer offer to solve a problem and make a customer happy. SO MANY SALE, SHIP AND THATS IT.
Germann is offline   Reply With Quote