Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Hi I am new here and this is my first post.

Been a lurker for about a year now, and following the new camaro for the past few years since it was first introduced, but figured it was about time for me to join as then I can give my input on things as well.

Anyways I had posted this on another site so thought I would share it here as well, being it answers the questions just right.. and goes along pretty much with what XanthosV6 said right above me.

I had also been interested to see how well the 3.6 DI motor responds to mods, so I headed over the cadillac forums and this is what I found:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ains-over.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
Thank you all for your patience and we are happy to announce the results are in! Attached are dyno graphs from our 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD.
Baseline run: vehicle produced 263.0 rwhp and 241.7 lbs/tq.
Adding the new Corsa Exhaust power jumped to 281.1 rwhp and 255.3 lbs/tq. for an increase of 18.1 rwhp and 13.6 lbs/tq

From here, we added our intake system and power jumped to 294.2 rwhp and 261.3 lbs/tq for an increase of 13.1 rwhp and 6.0 lbs/tq. Total gain in power was 31.2 rwhp and 19.6 lbs/tq. from just an intake and exhaust.

So Intake and Exhaust = 294.2 rwhp / 261.3 rwtq

There was no tune with this, and I have read that a tune is good for nice gains as well. (aprox. 15-25 rwhp)

So if I am reading this all right, Intake, Exhaust, and Tune is going to put these 6'ers over 300rwhp :burn:

I think the V6 is going to impress a lot of people.

Anyways, still gonna be a M6 LS3 SS for me, but just thought a base camaro with the numbers these 3.6 DI motors put out will be quite impressive and quite a good bang for the buck

Definately won't mind driving one of these for a rental car if they end up being rented like the mustangs

EDIT: Damnit, just saw that this info was already posted in another thread. Sorry guys.. I win the award of Worst 1st post ever!

Last edited by Visual_Perfection; 11-03-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: info was already posted in another thread
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
where would i have to go to get mods installed

any specific place?
An intake and cat back exhaust can be done in your driveway with simple hand tools. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection View Post
EDIT: Damnit, just saw that this info was already posted in another thread. Sorry guys.. I win the award of Worst 1st post ever!

its all good man, at least you have made your presence known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
An intake and cat back exhaust can be done in your driveway with simple hand tools. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined.

yup, and there will be plenty of help for all of you as well.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #18
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection View Post

Been a lurker for about a year now, and following the new camaro for the past few years since it was first introduced, but figured it was about time for me to join as then I can give my input on things as well.

Anyways I had posted this on another site so thought I would share it here as well, being it answers the questions just right.. and goes along pretty much with what XanthosV6 said right above me.

I had also been interested to see how well the 3.6 DI motor responds to mods, so I headed over the cadillac forums and this is what I found:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ains-over.html

So Intake and Exhaust = 294.2 rwhp / 261.3 rwtq

There was no tune with this, and I have read that a tune is good for nice gains as well. (aprox. 15-25 rwhp)

So if I am reading this all right, Intake, Exhaust, and Tune is going to put these 6'ers over 300rwhp :burn:

I think the V6 is going to impress a lot of people.

Anyways, still gonna be a M6 LS3 SS for me, but just thought a base camaro with the numbers these 3.6 DI motors put out will be quite impressive and quite a good bang for the buck

Definately won't mind driving one of these for a rental car if they end up being rented like the mustangs

Bring this one back from the dead. i hope we can get a 31 rwhp out of a exhaust and a CAI
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #19
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
I hope D3 offers their stuff for this car soon! Bring on modded V-6's!
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
lakers171
SoCal MAYHEM

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Sounds about accurate. No way to really tell until the parts come out. There seems to be some potential for the V6. The 3.6L DI, VVT V6 sounds like it's going to be pretty responsive to mods. But again no real way in telling until it comes out, and then the mods for it come out.

I know I'm thinking of getting the V6. If I wanted the power of an SS, I'd be better of getting the SS. (Which I do of course!)

But if doing some light mods, and maybe converting to F.I later down the road, may be the way to go.

All I can say is by the time I plan on purchasing a Camaro LT I would hope to see this out for it.

Cat-back exhaust. (not just by GMPP)
High flow cat
Headers
tune, (or tuning available from HP Tuners)
Cold Air Intake

& it'd be sweet to see a supercharger or turbo kit available just to see...

why not from GMPP is it bad or theres something better. i was planning on getting it from them and im new to this whole mod thing to a car, so is it possible to get an explanation as to why we should go somewhere else to get the exhaust?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Drives: 95 vette,07gxp,02wrx,slazer,
Send a message via AIM to Baldturbofreak
Not to poo on the party, but until programming is availbile there will be ZERO increase in hp torque within 3-4 drive cycles. You may get an increase in the pull rught after the install, but the bosch will quickly learn down the increase.

The bosch med9x system is based on % torque demand from the driver.
There is a max torque and an Airmass table that dictate what cyl filling shall be. It will then adjust throttle angle ,cam timing, ignition timing in that order to achieve the closest match it can to the requested airmass table.

It is something we have been battling in the LNF camp for a few years now.
Baldturbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #22
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
what you mean by 3-4 drive cycles
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #23
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
I have one major concern with any V6 mods and that would be the transmission`s. The manual 6 speed is rated at 345 ft-lbs of torque with an engine rated at 273 ft-lbs of torque and the auto`s are rated even lower than the M6, this would mean that there is about 75 ft-lbs of wiggle room before you exceed the transmission`s torque rating. So am I wrong in my logic or is there something I`m missing? To me it would seem that the trannies may be the weak link in any engine mods.

Last edited by mickss; 06-26-2009 at 09:27 AM.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #24
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Mick, great point but even if you do mods, you'd still below rating right ?
Might be close and possibly a problem, but rating SHOULD be good enough reference to say mods are O.K.
My 2 cents
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
what you mean by 3-4 drive cycles
Cold engine, warmup and driving is 1 drive cycle.

That Bosch PCM is one smart little bugger.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
I have one major concern with any V6 mods and that would be the transmission`s. The manual 6 speed is rated at 345 ft-lbs of torque with an engine rated at 273 ft-lbs of torque and the auto`s are rated even lower than the M6, this would mean that there is about 75 ft-lbs of wiggle room before you exceed the transmission`s torque rating. So am I wrong in my logic or is there something I`m missing? To me it would seem that the trannies may be the weak link in any engine mods.
Remember, those ratings are based on a 24hr continuous cycle.
They only rate the aisin 5sp in our GXP for 260ft lbs. We have been far far over that for 20K. no issues.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #27
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Yes, I was thinking this same thing.

But it should hold up fine for the numbers most people will be at.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Yes, I was thinking this same thing.

But it should hold up fine for the numbers most people will be at.
- X
You will be at 400+ HP soon though for under 7k right?
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote