Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Xbox connect for the 360, you are the controller

Xbox connect for the 360, you are the controller

Just saw the commercial again, no controller, you just jump around n move and it controls the game???
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
It's called Kinect. Basically, a camera sits in front of your tv and turns your body movements into graphic movements on-screen. I'm curious to see how well it actually works, although I don't have a 360.

LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's more like a very advanced version of the playstations eyetoy. It's not for me. I'm sure it will do great with older people and kids.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
I kinda don't see it, old folks n kids buy WIIs
Old 10-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
I kinda don't see it, old folks n kids buy WIIs
They aren't even buying those anymore. Nintendo just had their first bad qtr in years. I think the Wii has run it's course. The Xbox and PS3 are now offering their own motion tech which will take away the only thing the Wii had going for it. And they will be doing it in an arguably better way. (at least as far as accuracy) In the end I see both the Kinnect and the PS Move failing. It's a niche and I think it's getting old.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

9/26/09 Took delivery!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The only problem with kinect and move is that it's going to be very hard to be competitive with games. A majority of people buy games to compete online. The first couple games that come to mind.

Fighting games:
Street Fighter
Crossover (tekken vs. street fighter, TvC, MvC, CvS etc.)

Racing games:
Forza
Gran Turismo
PGR

RTS:
Starcraft
Warcraft
Command and Conquer

First person shooter:
Halo
Call of Duty
Gears of War
etc.

With the kinect or move, how are you supposed to play these games well?

How do you plan to do a dragon punch (Shoryuken) without a controller? How about blocking?

Neither is going to be able to tell the pitch of your foot for the "accelerator" pedal if it changes by a degree or two, so you'll mostly have a couple levels of throttle and won't be able to upshift/downshift with any sort of speed as they recognize you going forward and back only.

Unless you have a touch screen TV, you'll never be able to play a RTS even 1/10th as well as with a keyboard/mouse combo. You need so many hot keys that there's just no way in hell you'll be able to have fun with a RTS game on these.

Finally comes FPS. How would you reload? How would you go prone? how would you aim? How about grenade? turn on your flash light/laser equipped to the gun? how about calling in an air strike for CoD? etc. etc. etc.

Kinect and Move will be great for relaxing/party games, but not much else. It'll be a fun "accessory" but you can bet that they're not going to move away from controllers in the future.

They only game that I've heard about that would be fun to be competitive on is the Playstation 3's ping pong game for the Move.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The only problem with kinect and move is that it's going to be very hard to be competitive with games. A majority of people buy games to compete online. The first couple games that come to mind.

Fighting games:
Street Fighter
Crossover (tekken vs. street fighter, TvC, MvC, CvS etc.)

Racing games:
Forza
Gran Turismo
PGR

RTS:
Starcraft
Warcraft
Command and Conquer

First person shooter:
Halo
Call of Duty
Gears of War
etc.

With the kinect or move, how are you supposed to play these games well?

How do you plan to do a dragon punch (Shoryuken) without a controller? How about blocking?

Neither is going to be able to tell the pitch of your foot for the "accelerator" pedal if it changes by a degree or two, so you'll mostly have a couple levels of throttle and won't be able to upshift/downshift with any sort of speed as they recognize you going forward and back only.

Unless you have a touch screen TV, you'll never be able to play a RTS even 1/10th as well as with a keyboard/mouse combo. You need so many hot keys that there's just no way in hell you'll be able to have fun with a RTS game on these.

Finally comes FPS. How would you reload? How would you go prone? how would you aim? How about grenade? turn on your flash light/laser equipped to the gun? how about calling in an air strike for CoD? etc. etc. etc.

Kinect and Move will be great for relaxing/party games, but not much else. It'll be a fun "accessory" but you can bet that they're not going to move away from controllers in the future.

They only game that I've heard about that would be fun to be competitive on is the Playstation 3's ping pong game for the Move.
I think COD: Black Ops will have move support, so it is possible to have FPS with motion control. I played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and it was one of the best games that I have played on the Wii. To aim, you point the main control toward the screen and a red dot (like a laser sight) appears where you are aiming. To reload, I think you had to shake the controller. Since you're moving with the control stick, the buttons on the d-pad can be used for single button commands.

I don't think all games will be able to utilize motion control, that's why the systems will continue to standard controls.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
I think COD: Black Ops will have move support, so it is possible to have FPS with motion control. I played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and it was one of the best games that I have played on the Wii. To aim, you point the main control toward the screen and a red dot (like a laser sight) appears where you are aiming. To reload, I think you had to shake the controller. Since you're moving with the control stick, the buttons on the d-pad can be used for single button commands.

I don't think all games will be able to utilize motion control, that's why the systems will continue to standard controls.
I agree with you and the move is at the advantage here, but xbox is SoL. :(

I'm fine with standard controls anyways.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

A review on MSNBC said that it doesn't work well in small rooms or if anyone else is moving in the room. Which that last one is probably expected since it just tracks movement.

only games they have show is that dance game, which is hella dumb.

Spend $400 to dance in your living room.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Even on the Wii I still used the classic controller on most motion games....This is one thing i'll never have. You will never get the precision of your controller. Plus, what fun is jumpping around when you just wanna sit in your recliner, relax, and kill some stuff?
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
3D and motion controlled Video Games are two technologies I wish would go away!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
3D and motion controlled Video Games are two technologies I wish would go away!

Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #13
v6sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The only problem with kinect and move is that it's going to be very hard to be competitive with games. A majority of people buy games to compete online.
You know you bring up an interesting point I haven't thought of that helps Sony and Microsoft. The Wii's online capabilities suck. Sure you get get games and Netflix but aside from that it's pretty borked. I can see them capitalizing on their vastly superior online components to make a case for some of the games. In the end I still think they'll die out. Like I've said before if they don't stuff it in the box with the console people won't buy it, because developers want to make games that they can sell tons of and wasting money developing a game for a limited market isn't a wise decision. So unless tons of people buy them the games wont come. At best games will have half done tacked on features that utilize them and no one's gonna buy them just for that.

9/26/09 Took delivery!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Senojelyk

Drives: '95 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post

I haven't heard anything about Black Ops getting move support.. but I could be wrong. I know Killzone 3 will get it, MAG already has it.. SOCOM will get it too... and I saw video of someone playing that with the move...really precise and actually from that guy's opinion was better then a Dualshock.

Theres one big thing that the Move has that allows FPS games to be possible with it.. the navigation controller, which allows you to move around easily plus the move itself has 6 buttons on it, not including select/start.

Really it all comes down to personal preference.. Time Crisis in the movie theater's was hella fun to play.. that experience has yet to make it to the ps3 (Time crisis: raising storm is terrible btw) but once a developer puts the game out there it can be duplicated, even 1 up-ed. The bad thing is, when I play FPS I like sitting on my couch relaxing, not moving around aiming at stuffs..

IMHO I think the move is going to win out vs. the Kinect. The kinect has lots of issues with playability unless you have a perfect room for it. It is a fun thing to not use a controller, but playing ping pong on the move is so accurate its crazy.. especially on the harder difficulty. That precision is hard to beat without something in your hand.

Just my .02

One day I will own a Camaro... One day.
Senojelyk is offline   Reply With Quote