Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #57
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Am I missing something ? As far as I know 'all season' tires are winter tires vs the summir tires
that come with the SS. I don't know about snow but my 'Toyo All Season tires' are exactly that,
and good below 40 degrees compaired to the factory summer only tires.
From my experience the past 2 nights, my Toyo Proxes 4+ (with less than 2,000 miles) are just as bad in snow/slush as the stock pirellis. Tons of sliding and shimmying and overall very rough.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #58
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM View Post
From my experience the past 2 nights, my Toyo Proxes 4+ (with less than 2,000 miles) are just as bad in snow/slush as the stock pirellis. Tons of sliding and shimmying and overall very rough.
I never drove my SS in the snow and never plan to.
I have driven it on dry roads below 40 with the factory P/Zeros
and will never do it again.
My Toyo Proxes 4's give me decent traction all year long.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #59
JustBill74

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCO2185 View Post
I got a set of rims with Blizzak tires from tirerack.com a couple years back, handles the snow great
Did the same! In fact, Tirerack ships out from Delaware. He could maybe even pick them up.
JustBill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #60
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
My snow tires are on a 06 dodge 2500! >: D
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #61
Lord Ryan

Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
Had the General G-Max installed. Haven't had much snow yet. Our winter are more like Jan-Jun on good years, Jan-Jan on bad years.

Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #62
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoticus.rex View Post
The SSs and RSs come with Pirelli P-Zero Summer tires. They are not rated for anything under 45 degrees.
I purchased my Camaro in December when it was about 10 degrees out. I planned on purchasing winter tires but after 4 winters and not one issue, I figured why bother. The only time I'm getting stuck is when everyone is. I can't wait until next winter to drive a zl1 in the snow. Which, yes, will have winter tires because their tires won't work whatsoever in the cold.

Are peoples Camaro's getting damaged that easily by salt ? I just don't get it. What are we protecting them from. I have two vehicles as well but never see the need to drive the jeep.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #63
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
19" will fit rear Brembo's, not front without spacers
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #64
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
i'm just NW of Philadelphia so we had a lot of ice and snow the other day. I wasn't out in the worst of it but too it out on roads that didn't get plowed yet. A little slip but nothing to cry about. I just put on some Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires a few weeks ago, about $1200 on Tirerack.com and they grip like i wouldn't expect. I'm still cautious but even while it was raining pretty hard coming from the Pocono area, i held ground nicely. No matter what tires you have, just feel the car and the road and be careful. A ton of cars felt they were holding like they were one with the road and you see them on the side smashed up as you pass them a little later. 4x4 drivers make me laugh the most lol

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #65
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies.. Allot of great help on here as usual!

+1 for Camaro5
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #66
jcamo

Drives: 2ss/rs/2013 camaro 1LE
4x4 drivers make me laugh the most lol

Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #67
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
On any slight uphill, even slight, your car will become a drama queen. Flat roads will give you trouble but you should be able to manage it if you take your time. Make sure you leave the traction control on...it helps a lot. I personally would not spend money on snow tires. If anything, find a beat up old or high mileage SUV/truck. Keep it off the insurance until the months that you are likely to get snow. Because even if you get snow tires, the Camaro is not a safe car for snow driving. And I don't know about anyone else, but I HATE being stuck to driving 10-15 mph while other cars are going 30-40 mph.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #68
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
You purchase a second set of wheels mounted with snow tires. I would recommend the "performance" category of snow tires as the amount of actual snow you get in DE (read: very little) will trash snow tires on dry pavement in pretty short order. The "performance" snows use harder all-season compound along with the snow-oriented tread patterns. The resulting levels of grip in snow aren't as good as a hardcore snow tire like a Blizzak, but they hold up when used in dry conditions and offer increased traction over all-seasons.

I'm currently using Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on two of my vehicles (just outside of NYC) and am overly impressed with their handling characteristics in dry conditions and they offer good grip level increases over the extreme-performance all-season's I run in the summer on my Accord and Tribeca.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #69
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
not to be a dick, but it really doesnt matter how much horsepower you have.
Quoted for truth. Till the day I die I will never understand this mentality of "OMG, this car has XXX amount of horsepower, that makes it treacherous in the rain/snow/dirt/fairy-dust/etc!!"

Your right foot controls the amount of power, not the car.

Unless you drive a Toyota. But then you have no power anyway, so what are you scared of?
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #70
jessicamariella
Chase me...

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
Same "luck" here. Yesterday I couldn't make it up the mountain to get home, so I had to turn around and take the highway. This morning I just kept spinning and my windshield cracked all the way across. I quoted snow tires for $1200, but I just spent $8,000 for new gutters, soffitt, etc, etc. Not sure if I want to spend more $$$. Grrr.

Thankfully, I only live 3 miles from work...just on top of a mountain!

I'm getting the old "I told ya so" from everyone. But doesn't every girl go out and buy a Camaro after breaking up with their boyfriend?? Pfffft. How many days until summer....?