Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #43
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
If I'm fortunate enough to acquire one I'll run it down the strip a few times, just as I did in the early 70's with my '69 Z/28. If someone thinks that goes against the grain, that is their problem not mine.
I suspect that the driveline will do just fine unless you put slicks or such on the car.... that is where the trouble will be.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #44
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
If I'm fortunate enough to acquire one I'll run it down the strip a few times, just as I did in the early 70's with my '69 Z/28. If someone thinks that goes against the grain, that is their problem not mine.
I suspect that the driveline will do just fine unless you put slicks or such on the car.... that is where the trouble will be.
WORD

There's a reason why '69 COPOs were built with a special HD 12-Bolt diff. with heat-treated components. Any standard 12-Bolt, with a W-I-D-E set of gummies hung on their ends combined with red-line launches, could be in jeopardy...that not even Alex Trebek could guard you against...

Remember, too, the LS7 has MORE NET TORQUE than the 427 ZL1 and L72 engines were rated, GROSS...

If quarter miling is your forte, I'd strongly consider a change to the current ZL1 carrier, or visit the aftermarket for drag racing-specific combos.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #45
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
WORD

If quarter miling is your forte, I'd strongly consider a change to the current ZL1 carrier, or visit the aftermarket for drag racing-specific combos.
I didn't say drag racing is my forte, sheesh lighten up! I said it WILL be drag raced "a few times". So you are telling me that the driveline won't handle a few passes down the 1/4 mile each year on street tires as I stated? I don't think that is a realistic statement. Surely the driveline can't be that fragile.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #46
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
I didn't say drag racing is my forte, sheesh lighten up! I said it WILL be drag raced "a few times". So you are telling me that the driveline won't handle a few passes down the 1/4 mile each year on street tires as I stated? I don't think that is a realistic statement. Surely the driveline can't be that fragile.
GM stated the rear end was not designed to withstand multiple hard launches. The rearend was designed strictly as a track car and spartan DD. I mean you can barrel roll a Boeing 707, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think there is a bit of a disconnect going on here.

I don't think that anyone is really saying that its impossible to take a Z/28 down the strip, of course it can do that. But more to the point is that its a road racer, not a drag car. So if you are into drag racing, why even bother with the Z/28? Thats not what its for.

On the other side of things, people are just curious about what the car will do. A good number of buyers will take their new Z/28 to the strip, just to see what it does. That doesn't mean that they plan on taking it out every week to the local test & tune and putting in as many passes as possible. They'll take it out, make a couple of passes to say they did it, and move on.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #48

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think there is a bit of a disconnect going on here.

I don't think that anyone is really saying that its impossible to take a Z/28 down the strip, of course it can do that. But more to the point is that its a road racer, not a drag car. So if you are into drag racing, why even bother with the Z/28? Thats not what its for.

On the other side of things, people are just curious about what the car will do. A good number of buyers will take their new Z/28 to the strip, just to see what it does. That doesn't mean that they plan on taking it out every week to the local test & tune and putting in as many passes as possible. They'll take it out, make a couple of passes to say they did it, and move on.
Good summation....Not to whip a dead horse, but I was curious if the Z/28 comes equipped with the Launch Control feature in Comp Mode....

If it has that, engineered for dead stop launches, wouldn't that speak to it's possible use on the 1/4 mile? Or has Launch Control been eliminated from the Z/28?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #49
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Who wants to bet the stock tires will hook? The Z/28 rear and axle are perfectly safe unless there is an idiot at the wheel. Stock SS rears and axles have survived some 10 second cars, at least for a while.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Who wants to bet the stock tires will hook? The Z/28 rear and axle are perfectly safe unless there is an idiot at the wheel. Stock SS rears and axles have survived some 10 second cars, at least for a while.
Could be...My point is that if the Z/28 is not recommended, so to speak, for the drags, it wouldn't need or come equipped with the stock Launch Control feature.

If it does have that feature, I would think it would be engineered to handle and optimize the drive train components, rear end, wheel spin, engine rpm, etc. to avoid "damage" so to speak....
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #51
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Do the. S'S and Z/28 have the same rearend? How do you know the rear end is safe, do you have test results?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #52
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Could be...My point is that if the Z/28 is not recommended, so to speak, for the drags, it wouldn't need or come equipped with the stock Launch Control feature.

If it does have that feature, I would think it would be engineered to handle and optimize the drive train components, rear end, wheel spin, engine rpm, etc. to avoid "damage" so to speak....
Those who drag do not use the Launch Control. They just turn TC off and launch by feel. It's faster. And damage is avoided by operator skill.

LC is the main source of broken parts. Let's hope the Z/28 does not have LC. If it does experienced drivers will avoid it.

The point is the LS7 is not a HP monster and the stiff sidewall tires are likely to be loose. The "sticky" 1LE and ZL1 Goodyear F1s do not hold as well as the SS Pirellis. So I do not think Z/28 will not be any worse off than a bolt-on SS with regards to breakage. SS axles and gears have broken, but it is not common.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Those who drag do not use the Launch Control. They just turn TC off and launch by feel. It's faster. And damage is avoided by operator skill.

LC is the main source of broken parts. Let's hope the Z/28 does not have LC. If it does experienced drivers will avoid it.

The point is the LS7 is not a HP monster and the stiff sidewall tires are likely to be loose. A Z/28 will not be any worse off than a bolt-on SS. SS axles and gears have broken, but it is not common.
Understood, for sure...I never use it either at the drags...lol...But the factory does...It's a part of the design....Just sayin', I know anything can be drag raced. If the Z/28 has Launch Control to "help" you drag race better, I would think it's not strictly Verboten to drag race it.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #54
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
macalot, are you aware the use of the symbol or the word word is, in fact, SUPPORT for your quoted statement? Apparently not...

I simply emphasized in my response that remedial action will be necessary for...well, go back and READ what I wrote as a GENERAL suggestion for those who choose to 1/4-mile the car in SERIOUS racing activity with red-line launches and super-stickies onboard...

BTW, Launch Control can be useful for standing-start auto-X, a motorsports forum the Z/28 should be rather well-suited for...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #55

The “Little Hoss” Z/28 after it was repainted to jive with the Harrell race car color scheme.

- See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2....PxrUNqgm.dpuf

A couple of Z/28s for your enjoyment...
Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #56
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Good summation....Not to whip a dead horse, but I was curious if the Z/28 comes equipped with the Launch Control feature in Comp Mode....

If it has that, engineered for dead stop launches, wouldn't that speak to it's possible use on the 1/4 mile? Or has Launch Control been eliminated from the Z/28?
...since the Z/28 is a dedicated road course car, I would surmise that LC is not part of the electronics. If they did include it, it would water down the product in my mind.