Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
Sgtrod

Drives: Camaro 1LE
FIXED...PHIL SMITH CHEVROLET...

Greetings all,

On December 8th, 2014, I picked up new 2015 Camaro 1LE from PHIL SMITH CHEVROLET of Lauderhill Florida.

A couple of days ago I recieved a notice that my license was suspended!!!

Apparently the dealer jacked up my registration paper work regarding my insurance coverage.

I was driving around for 5 days without knowing my license was suspended... I could have been arrested! And lost my job, regardless of it not being my fault.

I immediately took care of it with the DMV and then called the dealer.

I contacted the General Manager RICH GEHRIS who checked my license online and stated " your license is active. I dont see your problem. I checked the deal and all looks fine".

Really??

Thats BS! I needed to demonstrate proof that I had USAA as my insurance provider in order to qualify for a certain discount, which I did....on the registration PHIL SMITH CHEVROLET put that I had GEICO....this resulted in the state not being able to verify coverage was in place for registration and my license being suspended!

This will ALWAYS be on my driving record.
In applying for some jobs, a suspension on record can be a disqualifier. Let alon the fact that it will, at very least, make you less competitive then the next guy.

Last edited by Sgtrod; 03-04-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Issue Resolved.
Sgtrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Don't fret. It won't be FOREVER. I get a notice from the state of SC almost every year because my classic insurance I have on some of my cars always forgets to notify them of coverage for my covered cars. The state has ALWAYS notified me that ~I~ needed to provide the proof to them by XX date or they would come and kill me (I exaggerate to clarify, but you get the idea). I'm thinking you may have had a notice sent to you from FL along those same lines and it was either lost in the mail or you don't recall getting one. But I don't recall as I haven't lived there in over 15 years now.

One problem that you had is letting the dealer do the paperwork without you verifying the information. That's on you.

If you have straightened it out with the state and they've reinstated your license because of the error, then they're acknowledging it was an error and simply corrected the mistake.

If you have copies of the paperwork, hang on to them, and in nearly 3 years from now (or statutes of limitations), if you have any issues surrounding your "suspended" license, then simply sue the dealership for fugging up your livelihood. But I don't think it will be an issue.

The way I see it, it's partially YOUR fault for not doing due diligence in ensuring the paperwork submitted was correct.

Just calm down and Better Call Saul!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Sgtrod

According to this logic.. If your engine fails, its your fault for taking the manufacturer's word for it and not inspecting.

They do this everyday and now Im paying for their mistake.

And the response made it worse.

I keep my criminal record, credit history and driving record squeeky clean.

Durring applications to work, I will always have to disclose the suspension.

For going in and taking a car stickered at $47,400.. I earned a suspension?

Yes, call Saul...but dont go to PHIL SMITH AUTOMOTIVE GROUP.

Im not on here to get everyone to agree, simply to state my facts.

If you do not agree, please post elsewhere.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
If its a mistake by the dealer and you cleared it up with the DMV as mentioned above...then why would the DMV hold it against you?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Sgtrod

Because I never got a notice which I agree is unussual...but as seen above...many people will dismiss that it was not my mistake and find a way to place blame.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtrod View Post
According to this logic.. If your engine fails, its your fault for taking the manufacturer's word for it and not inspecting.

They do this everyday and now Im paying for their mistake.

And the response made it worse.

I keep my criminal record, credit history and driving record squeeky clean.

Durring applications to work, I will always have to disclose the suspension.

For going in and taking a car stickered at $47,400.. I earned a suspension?

Yes, call Saul...but dont go to PHIL SMITH AUTOMOTIVE GROUP.

Im not on here to get everyone to agree, simply to state my facts.

If you do not agree, please post elsewhere.
Contact the DMV, as there are ways to get it purged from your record. Additionally, I don't agree with the above poster about it being your fault. You provided the right paperwork and they filed it incorrectly. There's nothing you can really do in the interim.

However, in the future, I always recommend to have your insurance agent on the phone to assist with that part to prevent any future issues.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Jakey2SS

Drives: 15' Scat Pack
God forbid another human being made what was probably an honest mistake, . People are so quick to start bashing others on social media.
Jakey2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
JasonsEpicLife

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Honestly Florida is the biggest hassle when it comes to stuff like this. I had a similar situation with my registration while moving back to Florida. The DMV allowed me register my car with GA insurance in FL and I asked was that ok and they were like yeah....2 months later they suspend my license and by that time I had everything switched over to FL. Of course I had to pay for someones mistake $170 but thats how Florida is no state tax so they get money in other ways!!

As far as Phil Smith if you are talking about the one on 441 they were the ones that went to bat for me and got my Remote Start installed when GM said no...That dealership got everyone involved and I didn't even buy my Camaro from them. However, the first few people I dealt with there weren't so helpful. I spoke with a guy named Tom in service and he went out of his way to help me.
JasonsEpicLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
JasonsEpicLife

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
And are you sure it was the Dealership and not the DMV they screwed me big time and its sitting on my record and they let me ride around for 2 months before even sending me a letter
JasonsEpicLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
kgendron71
REDHOT_ZL1

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Your license was suspended because the dealer did what??? I'm really curious how exactly your licence was suspended by a dealers mistake.
kgendron71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
In every case, no matter where or what state I bought a new car, I had the choice to either fill out my own paperwork for registration or let the dealer do it. I let the dealer do it the first time. Took forever and a day to get my registration. Never again. I ALWAYS did my own registration/DMV paperwork from then on. Only one way to get it right. Dealers normally do the paperwork as a courtesy, or part of the "doc fees" but you are under NO obligation to allow them to do the paperwork.

Regardless of who does the paperwork in your behalf, YOU are the responsible party for ensuring the documentation is correct. It's this way in every legal proceeding I've ever been involved in. It's like your tax return. H&R Block may do it for you, but YOU are on the hook for whatever happens. And generally, when a mistake is made with paperwork, you have an opportunity to make it right. If you don't, then this won't be the last time they turn your over a barrel unannounced.

SO...the rape has already occurred so you aren't going to get your virginity back on this, so hopefully, in the future, you take control of your own destiny and this way, you can make sure things don't go south again on a registration.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #13
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgendron71 View Post
Your license was suspended because the dealer did what??? I'm really curious how exactly your licence was suspended by a dealers mistake.
Riding around with no insurance in most states will result in an immediate license suspension, and in some instances, possible jail time. When they screwed up his insurance reporting, it immediately flagged him for non-compliance which in turn got his license suspended.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #14
Sgtrod

PHIL SMITH CHEVROLET

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsEpicLife View Post
As far as Phil Smith if you are talking about the one on 441 they were the ones that went to bat for me and got my Remote Start installed when GM said no...That dealership got everyone involved and I didn't even buy my Camaro from them. However, the first few people I dealt with there weren't so helpful. I spoke with a guy named Tom in service and he went out of his way to help me.
I have no experience with the service department, so I will explicitly exclude them. If someone wants to take their car there for service...thats fine.

But if your thinking about buying a car... BUYER BEWARE