Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Clutch - Rebuild or Start Over

Hello All, I just recently joined the ranks after buying a 2010 1SS M6 from these forums. Went to get it from 3/4 across the country and the clutch was toast. Leaving stop lights it would just spin the RPMs and not the tires, 5th - 6th gear trying to cruise if you gave it any amount of gas the RPMs would just shoot up without the car accelerating. These scenarios all rule out improper driving I can assure you. With a certain finesse the clutch would hold if you babied it up to 3500Rpm and then punched the gas in the lower gears.

With that said, this post is about what to do next;

Car is Supercharged Cammed tuned at around 600-650rwhp, and I do plan to run Drag Radials, car is weekend cruiser/drag race from time to time. It has the McLeod RXT Twin Disc. The seller commented that the clutch had not been in there very long... so now I am left debating...rebuild the RXT for around $560 and worry this happens again in 10-15k miles? Or should I just look at other clutches all together. Clearly Price is a concern having just paid for the Camaro to get on a truck and a last minute plane ticket to get home.

I am inclined to rebuild it as that is the most cost effective, but I will not make any final decisions until I tear it down and see what is left in there. The car will not arrive until Thursday/Friday. So any opinions are welcome.

Especially around real world RXT use on durability, grip, chatter, shudder.

Thanks!
QUICRNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
RE

I should also mention the car on an aggressive tune did put down 746rwhp SAE.... and I live in a much lower altitude.

Also curious if it could possibly be a clutch pedal adjustment not letting the pressure plate all the way loose?

Thanks
QUICRNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Unless McLeod has something no one else has, the only adjustment you can make to these clutches is to shim slave cylinder (or bell housing). Tick looked into making a master cylinder you could adjust, but decided against it because of how the ECU manages the trans.

I looked at a lot of the forums when I was sourcing a clutch and it seemed all the mfg, McLeod, Centerforce, Spec, etc. had quite a few fans with some haters thrown in.

There are some SC guys on here who say the Monster twin disk is the best clutch they've ever owned and there is a large contingent of HE Street Slayer fans too.

Hendrix Engineering should be in here any minute to tell you about the Street Slayer. Sounds like a hell of a clutch but out of my price range.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
The hardest thing for me to do is explain how the Street Slayer will save you a lot of cash in the long run.After years and years of selling them we have yet to get a call with one wore out and needing rebuilt. If you do the install yourself then rebuilding what you have will be the cheapest way to go,if you have to pay for labor I would really look a little harder .If I can help you out give me a call anytime.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Unless McLeod has something no one else has, the only adjustment you can make to these clutches is to shim slave cylinder (or bell housing). Tick looked into making a master cylinder you could adjust, but decided against it because of how the ECU manages the trans.

I looked at a lot of the forums when I was sourcing a clutch and it seemed all the mfg, McLeod, Centerforce, Spec, etc. had quite a few fans with some haters thrown in.

There are some SC guys on here who say the Monster twin disk is the best clutch they've ever owned and there is a large contingent of HE Street Slayer fans too.

Hendrix Engineering should be in here any minute to tell you about the Street Slayer. Sounds like a hell of a clutch but out of my price range.
Thanks,,just so you know we have a new clutch coming that will be priced much lower .
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post

I appreciate the mention!

Yes, we've got a huge following and yes ours is less money, has a longer warranty, and is a lot cheaper on the rebuild. So, if you're looking to save money and get a clutch that's proven, then you really don't have to look further than a Monster. The LT1-S will suite your needs perfectly and will drive literally like stock.

As far as getting the McLeod rebuilt, that's your call, but you won't get the same value as buying one from us new... let us know if you have any questions.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote