Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
Forgive me for asking because I have not kept up with the v6 thing. Is it a possibility of 2 different v6's?? I dont trust any magazines. They are always wrong on Mustang/Camaro stuff anyway. I cant see how you could make a business case for this but perhaps Im wrong.
They can make a business case for it on all kinds of cars, but I don't think it would be too wise for the Camaro. But they keep saying that it is the V6 version they're going to promote and not the V8... although that could be how it was in the Camaro's golden age too, I dunno, I wasn't born then. Either way, V6's are always the volume sale, but the problem is that the Camaro's competition both have only one V6.

Overall, two V6's I think is just a strike against the vehicle's heritage. That's the most harm that will be done. It wouldn't be that big a deal if it were an all new car.

The main issue is the pricing hierarchy if there are two V6's. What's the V8 going to actually COST then after two V6 trims to build a price up on? According to R&T and Yahoo, mid to upper 30's... which is absolutely absurd and very unwise when it comes to their competition. The Chally surprised me by pricing the R/T for just 30K, I won't lie. But making only one volume-sales V8 for the Camaro and pricing it that far above the competition? Man, it's going to wipe out a lot of the people who wanted it. Not saying doom the car, but wipe out a lot of us guys who wanted one.

Hopefully the competition will put pressure on GM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
It doesn't seem smart to have two V6 models in the lineup. What this means is that the 220HP V6 will be the $18-19,000 model and the 300HP V6 could be in the $25-26,000 range. The V8 at $29-30,000.. Enthusiasts will want to buy the V8..Those on a budget will opt for the cheapest base they can get..The middle V6 won't have much of a market..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
LS3 has 430 horsepower, the LS2 has 400 horsepower.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
while looking for LS2 specs, I found thi website. This might confirm the Camaro and LS2 V8 connection.

http://www.ls2.com/
Old 06-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Scott we need you
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
The fact that they mention the Z28 trumping the SS is something that has never happened before is proof enough how silly this article is.
It may not be as silly as you think. Don't be surprised if that's how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
I dont trust any magazines.
Good philosophy. That's why Camaro5 is here, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
while looking for LS2 specs, I found thi website. This might confirm the Camaro and LS2 V8 connection.

http://www.ls2.com/
No LS2. (<= "period" )
Old 06-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #21
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It may not be as silly as you think. Don't be surprised if that's how it turns out.
I think he meant that R&T stating that the Z28 has never been the top dawg was silly.

Good philosophy. That's why Camaro5 is here, right?
to spread the truth. i dont know if you've searched other places, but a lot of sources are getting their info from US
No LS2. (<= "period" )

LS2? FTL!!!
LS9? FTW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
LT= Luxury Touring
LS= Luxury Sport
SS= Super Sport
Z28= Track Star

Makes sense to me, I'd like to see the RS in the mix tho.
while this makes sense, i think R&T and others need to read a little bit more

the trim models are just certain options that the car will have standard. basically increasing in the amount. technically speaking, all of chevy's vehicles have different LT and LS and SS trim packages. the trucks also have the WT package. say for example the cobalt:

LS trim- regular coupe/sedan base model
1LT trim- coupe/sedan, has power locks, onstar option, power windows
2LT trim- onstar standard, cruise control standard, 4 wheel ABS front disc/rear drum,
Sport trim- white faced sport gauges, leather steering wheel, 4 wheel ABS disc standard, 2.4L (high output) standard, steel muffler and chrome tip standard, stabilitrak, tuned sport suspension, traction control standard, 17 inch aluminium wheels,
SS trim- 2.0 turbo 4-cyl, performance suspension, 18" forged aluminium wheels, titanium faced gauges, performance cloth seats, f/r sport fascias with halogen foglamps and extensions,

i dont pay any attention to "trim packages" cus all that is to me is is the interior accessories that i could care less about, ill take a stripped down Z28 with manual windows, no ABS or T/C, cloth interior... BASIC interior. keep the price low, get only what you need.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #22
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm getting the impression there ain't gonna be no manual windows version of this car.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #23
1GTEC

Drives: GMC Sierra
I subscribe to R&T, saw the article, etc.
I think its probably pretty accurate given the path of Chevy lately. All vehicles have the LS & LT trims. I'd really like to see Chevy bring the RS Rally Sport trim back as a top V6 model. Basically, have a V6 with some style.
1GTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

RS----Z26 : MERCHANDISED PKG, OPEL CONVERSION
SS----Z27 : SUPERSPORT
Z28---Z28 : MERCHANDISED PKG, SPECIAL PERFORMANCE

let the interior trim packages be called whatever they want,
the RS-Rally Sport packages has most often been an exterior image conversion to the base model for those who want style over performance,
the SS-SuperSport package has most often been a big v-8 with normal susp
the Z28-Z28 package has most often been the big v-8 with upgraded susp.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #25
punkdrum01

Drives: 1999 z28 Vert Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Appearance/minor performance package anyone?

I think there is a very high probability we will see "RS" packages available, especially after seeing the accessory spyshots we saw a few months ago. I believe it had "RS" decals on it did it not???

I still do not believe we will see two different V6's. I think we see the turbo 4 cyl before we see a 2nd V6. Who the hell wants less horsepower and inferior fuel economy???? Unless the 3.5L is signficantly cheaper to manufacture, I just don't see it happening.

As for the V8 lineup,..... I give up....... To me LS3 if the obvious answer for the base V8. The only doubt I have about the LS3 is that we still have not heard anything from GM about incorporating AFM/DOD technology with the LS3, a feature GM confirmed would be available on the Camaro. That leads me to think that the L76 is still on the table. Problem with the L76.....it does not make the 400+hp GM has promised. Since Gen V engines are supposedly a few more years from being operational.......I really dont know where that leaves us. Unless they offer both the L76 and the LS3 like on the G8.....but then they would still need to offer a 3rd V8 for the Top Dawg........grrrrrrrrrrrr.........September cant get here quick enough!!!!!!!!
punkdrum01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #26
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

im wondering if the 3.5L v-6 that is supposed to be the base v-6 will be the $20,000.00 entry level car, the DI v-6 jumps up the notch by roughly 5k (just guessing) which leaves the SS at $30,000.00 then the Z28 at prolly $40,000.00 if i were to guess.

the LS3 i can almost assure will be the base v-8 option, unless GM pulls a freakin rabbit out of their ass and drops a gen-V motor in there and can keep it to $30,000.00 which i doubt will happen due to the fact that the camaro has never gotten a motor that was better than the vette, i would imagine that the vette will recieve the first of the gen-V motors, then it will be passed down to the camaro like usual.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 06-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #27
punkdrum01

Drives: 1999 z28 Vert Black/Black
BTW........i remember hearing from a source that GM had orginally planned to offer two different V6's, but the idea was scrapped a few months ago. Looks like somebody never got the message.
punkdrum01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:18 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2E2RUN View Post
R&T is usually only about half correct with any prediction they make....I am surprised they didn't mention the "Berlinetta" in there somewhere....I only believe half the story!
Of course we are only to believe half the story. The problem is, what half?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote