Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
JJKJ

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Exhaust components/assembly questions

I'm new to Camaro ownership, well C5 Camaros anyway. I'm still waiting for my 1LE with NPP to show up. My mod plans include LT headers with high-flow cats, x-pipe and retain the stock NPP mufflers.

What I'm trying to figure out is where does each component start/stop and how are they assembled from the factory (welded, clamped?).

So for LT headers with high-flow cats, would I need a custom-length x-pipe or are there x-pipes designed to bolt up to headers with cats? Are there x-pipes that bolt up to the factory mufflers?

I see the term axle-back and cat-back; I'm assuming the cat-back includes an x/h-pipe and mufflers whereas the axle-back is just mufflers?

I see most LT headers have 3" collectors, where are you guys stepping down to 2.5" for those not doing a full exhaust?

If anyone has a pic of a full exhaust system you can post, that'd be great as well.

Thanks!
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
I'm new to Camaro ownership, well C5 Camaros anyway. I'm still waiting for my 1LE with NPP to show up. My mod plans include LT headers with high-flow cats, x-pipe and retain the stock NPP mufflers.

What I'm trying to figure out is where does each component start/stop and how are they assembled from the factory (welded, clamped?).

So for LT headers with high-flow cats, would I need a custom-length x-pipe or are there x-pipes designed to bolt up to headers with cats? Are there x-pipes that bolt up to the factory mufflers?

I see the term axle-back and cat-back; I'm assuming the cat-back includes an x/h-pipe and mufflers whereas the axle-back is just mufflers?

I see most LT headers have 3" collectors, where are you guys stepping down to 2.5" for those not doing a full exhaust?

If anyone has a pic of a full exhaust system you can post, that'd be great as well.

Thanks!

long tube headers with cats are the same legnth as your stock manifolds. so the x pipe that works with the stock exhaust will work with long tube header setup as well.
you are correct on the catback vs axel back exhaust.
you can get a lt header for 3" exhaust or for 2.5 it all depends on what you want
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
05mbm

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
I would get LG's long tube headers. Their system goes all the way back to mufflers and includes the x-pipe. Essentially you would be keeping your NPP exhaust as an axle back exhaust.
05mbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
See below in bold. If you have any questions feel free to call, PM or email me anytime!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post

Manifolds - Connection pipes containing cats - Cat-back containing H pipe, resonators and mufflers. The connections are flanged at the manifold and clamped at the catback.

I recommend having a Magnaflow - 2.5" Universal X-Pipe part # 10791 welded in place of the stock H-pipe.

Correct

The step down typically happens in the connection pipes

Thanks!
Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
JJKJ

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Thanks for the answers everyone. Cleared up my questions.
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote