Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
GM failure: The shockwave

GM failure: The shockwave
If General Motors declares bankruptcy, industry watchers say, the entire domestic auto industry could be badly hurt.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: November 14, 2008: 12:36 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- If General Motors really does run out of money by the end of the year, as it predicted was possible, the impact would be felt far and wide - to hundreds of suppliers, rival automakers and ultimately dealers across the nation.

"Once the first domino falls, it rapidly takes out all the other dominoes," said Dennis Virag, president of the Automotive Consulting Group.

Suppliers would be among the first to feel those effects since GM only manufactures the body, the engine and the transmission used in its cars.

In the United States alone, GM spends $31 billion on parts from 2,100 different suppliers. These include the "direct suppliers" involved in producing a vehicle - those that provide everything from steering wheels and seatbelts to brakes and airbags - as well as "indirect suppliers" - those that make things such as gloves, protective eyewear, shop rags and lightbulbs.

Although lawmakers appear to be souring on providing a $25 billion bailout to automakers, the impact of a GM failure on the industry as a whole - and therefore the economy as a whole - is weighing heavily in their decisions.

So far this year, 23 major auto-related companies, most of them parts suppliers, have filed for bankruptcy, according to consulting firm Grant Thornton. They are struggling since car makers have cut back as sales have slowed and raw-material prices have risen.

"I would argue that in today's environment, with the stress that's already on the supply base, they can't take another hit," said Kimberly Rodriguez, a principal at Grant Thornton's automotive practice. "The ripple effect would be huge," she added.

Impact on rival car makers
As supplier companies fail, that would have a direct impact on Ford and Chrysler, since the three domestic auto manufacturers share about 70% of their suppliers, Rodriguez estimated.

One executive who works for a Detroit automaker, and who did not want to be named, said the impact of GM - or any of the three - failing would be dramatic and very challenging.

Not all those affected would suffer equally, but it is hard to predict which companies would be hit hardest, because the relationships among the various suppliers and automakers are complex, he said.

Impact on dealers
A GM failure would also affect about 14,000 dealers in the United States, according to the industry newspaper Automotive News. That is almost half of the nation's 29,000 dealerships that specialize in domestic vehicles.

But even if those 14,000 GM dealers also offer foreign cars, the risk of losing their supply of domestic vehicles could force many of them out of business, said Paul Taylor, an economist with the National Automobile Dealers Association. Already, he noted, the industry is expected to lose about 700 dealers by the end of this year, up to 80% of which will be domestic-brand stores.

Car companies are wary of publicly discussing the possibility of financial disaster because it makes it harder to sell the cars that are on dealer lots today, said consultant Virag. Customers don't want to buy from a company they fear may soon be insolvent.

"It's a difficult situation that the automakers are in," said Virag. "To talk about bankruptcy would only exacerbate the situation, but not talking about it isn't helping."

But whether a bankruptcy would help suppliers and everyone dependent upon GM is still uncertain.

If it is determined that GM could file for bankruptcy under Chapter 11 rules, rather than a Chapter 7 liquidation, the automaker could potentially reorganize. That way the company could seek permission to pay outstanding bills to "critical suppliers" that it absolutely needs, said Robert Sanker, a Cleveland bankruptcy attorney who has represented creditors of bankrupt auto suppliers.

Still, Sanker said, relatively few suppliers would be granted "critical supplier" status in court, leaving many more that would have payments cut off.

And GM is says it is not considering Chapter 11, but rather is continuing to seek government assistance. "Bankruptcy reorganization is not an option for GM because it would create more problems than it would solve," said spokesman Dan Flores.

First Published: November 14, 2008: 12:25 PM ET

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Damn, I pray that none of the big three have to go this route! Ive never bought anything but american cars, and I give people who buy imports a hard time, but I didnt know that GM going bankrupt would have such a "MASS EFFECT"
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^That's how I feel...let me know when it gets better....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
What was the numbers that GM posted? Something along the lines of 3 MILLION people canned overnight, if they go under.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
What was the numbers that GM posted? Something along the lines of 3 MILLION people canned overnight, if they go under.
It could be as many as 5 million after the first ripple of terminations take effect.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
you guys need tos top watching the news, if you watch you will see that they only report on the Big 3 that they hardly ever report on the other car companies, Like Honda, Toymotors & the other ones that are fighting to stay alive.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczlover View Post
...they hardly ever report on the other car companies, Like Honda, Toymotors & the other ones that are fighting to stay alive.
Ironically...if GM goes under, it could provide a very significant kick in the nuts to them, too! They have US-based suppliers, dealers (like the article said), and marketing, etc ties to the big 3...This is much more than a simple bailout = good/bad....it's too bad people didn't realize the effects this could have 10 years ago, when they decided to buy that Camry instead of an Impala...
Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
IF THIS HAPPENS GET READY FOR ANOTHER MAJOR DEPRESSION. BUT MUCH WORSE. THE MURDER RATE WILL GO SKY HIGH. PEOPLE WILL BE LIVING ON THE STREET. HOUSES WILL BE BOARDED UP. ROBBERY WILL BE A WAY OF LIFE.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
IF THIS HAPPENS GET READY FOR ANOTHER MAJOR DEPRESSION. BUT MUCH WORSE. THE MURDER RATE WILL GO SKY HIGH. PEOPLE WILL BE LIVING ON THE STREET. HOUSES WILL BE BOARDED UP. ROBBERY WILL BE A WAY OF LIFE.

That's my sarcastic way of saying, "Get a grip man..."
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
If A, then B. Therefore, C

If GM fails, then bad things will happen. There will be no quick recovery when the rest of the economy isn't doing well - nobody is hiring in the manufacturing industry and the auto industry in particular. Also, there will be permanent damage done that can't be fixed. Things like loss of strategic manufacturing capacity and a drop in funding for engineering departments at university's. The policy makers are aware of this. Therefore, GM cannot be allowed to fail. Neither can Ford. Neither can Chrysler.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote