Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-17-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
6l80 ISSUES AND FIX..

This is my reply to a post that was created in another section by someone else who had a problem, never heard back from the OP, and I had the same issue, so here is my reply and fix. Figured it would "get lost" in the general section, so I am putting it here, where it belongs. I just copied and pasted, so hope it all come through.

OK guys, since we haven't heard back from the OP on his issue, here is an update on mine after the repairs were done. First off I had no idea that I was experiencing any trans issues until that one WOT pull in 2nd gear and then the "limp mode", CEL and no shift until I shut the car down and let her set for a few minutes and started her back and all was fine after that. So I took her into the shop to have the repairs done and my tech had ordered the pressure switch diaphram/laminates rebuild kit from Sonnax, just in case we needed them, sometimes they are fine, sometimes they aren't. Good thing we ordered them as all 4 of mine were blown out when we got to them!! First pic is what they should look like, second pic is what mine looked like. Like I said, I never knew I had any shifting problems because they were STILL working, just not at 100%. Never got any switch codes because none of them failed, just the input speed sensor that malfunctioned.

Name:  laminate and seals.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  TEHCM LAMINATES.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  163.4 KB

After we got it all back together I asked my tech if I would notice any difference in how she shifted, and he said, not sure since I said it was shifting normally as to what I thought. Well guess what, I guess all along and not sure for how long but I guess it wasn't shifting normally so I thought. I guess the pressure switches were bad for some time, and I didn't even know it. Well now the trans shifts more precisely, quicker, a bit firmer throughout all the gears and RPM ranges, from normal driving to the WOT pulls I do once in a while!! It's almost like I got a new trans with a new tune! So I did some reading on the Sonnax website about the 6l80 transmission TECHEM functions and it said, after replacing the bad laminates for the pressure switches you will notice a difference in the shifting patterns and smoothness. Seems as the "input speed sensor" receives data from the engine RPM's and sends it to the "output speed sensor" to the pressure module to preform its functions in a timely and precise manner to facilitate the shifting. No more erratic shifts up or down, or any more flares. I did experience some flares but they didn't happen all the time, so I didn't pay any attention to them. But now we are all good. Here is the reading info.

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...m-applications

And for you guys that want to DIY the project, here is a short video to watch.

And some more info. Hope this all helps you guys and gals out!!

https://d2q1ebiag300ih.cloudfront.ne...f?v=1539892125

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 01-18-2023 at 05:38 PM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Here is the original thread that was posted in the general section that got this started. Never heard and reply from him as to if he got it fixed or not, and I did. Hope this helps someone out.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610350
Old 02-03-2023, 08:32 AM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Hey guys and gals, just wanted to bump this and keep it in view just in case anyone is having any shifting issues with their 6l80's or 6l90's... Cheers all..