Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
2013 SS rear end noise

I am posting this for anyone who may be running into the same problem. I bought my 2013 Camaro SS in August 2012 with about 8 miles on it. Since that day, I have had a very faint whining noise from the rear end. Until recently it got super loud. I took it into the dealership and I'm told it needs a whole new rear end kit (ring, pinion, bearings, etc). On top of all this I'm told there is no part availability and it will take 5 days just to get the parts and it will take 2 days to get the job done. I honestly and truly have not driven this car hard at all. We will see what happens but this issue has disappointed me with my car. 4,000 miles in 10-11 months shouldn't make a rear end go out.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Predator2U

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS M6
Below is a link to my post with what sounds like the same problem (or very simular). I am glad to report that after 55K miles on the repair, no additional issues have risen. They did not replace all the parts in my diff, only the bearings.
Read this;

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...49#post2951149

Good luck,
Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
I am posting this for anyone who may be running into the same problem. I bought my 2013 Camaro SS in August 2012 with about 8 miles on it. Since that day, I have had a very faint whining noise from the rear end. Until recently it got super loud. I took it into the dealership and I'm told it needs a whole new rear end kit (ring, pinion, bearings, etc). On top of all this I'm told there is no part availability and it will take 5 days just to get the parts and it will take 2 days to get the job done. I honestly and truly have not driven this car hard at all. We will see what happens but this issue has disappointed me with my car. 4,000 miles in 10-11 months shouldn't make a rear end go out.
Pluto,

I apologize greatly for what you're experiencing early since owning the vehicle. I certainly understand your frustration and would like to help monitor the process if possible. Feel free to message me regarding this matter so that I may be of assistance.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
wow And a great opportunity to up your gear ratio to 3.91 from a 1LE goes by................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .........................................
Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Pluto

I would love to use a different ratio, but that wouldn't fly as the dealership I go to says that my warranty will be voided in full even for a cold air intake or muffler replacement. They may burn the car with any higher end modifications. haha. Just wish I could have the CAI and exhaust on it.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
Quote:
I would love to use a different ratio, but that wouldn't fly as the dealership I go to says that my warranty will be voided in full even for a cold air intake or muffler replacement. They may burn the car with any higher end modifications. haha. Just wish I could have the CAI and exhaust on it.
Why do these dealers keep making these comments? CAI and exhaust will to affect your warranty except for those parts specifically. It's been posted here many times before. Headers will likely void it because you will need o rune the car after so i would steer clear of that until you are ready to go without a warranty.

Good luck!
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Pluto

I have no clue. I did ask two different dealers and they told me the same thing. So what you're saying is I have the green light to put an axle/cat back and CAI on?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
badbird94

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS LS3
You need to find another dealer-I have CAI and axle-back exhaust-my dealer installed my skip shift thingy before I took delivery of car.I asked them about the 1LE gears installed in my car,and computer program for said gears (will be installed and programed by them)--service manager said he would still honor power train warranty with 1LE gear install.
2SS M6/Hurst shifter-Heritage grill/w Sparks restoration SS badges front and rear-Silver rally stripes-CAI-SLP Loudmouth 11 axleback-VMAX throttle body-Elite Engineering catch can-Tint-future mods-Solo high flow cats-headers and cam-several years away
badbird94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I have 1LE complete rear end in my car put in by dealer. It is all under factory warranty. Only thing we are waiting for is for the CALC to be loaded as soon as it is approved. So right now I drive 5 miles over speed limit in town and 8 on highway. Should have the CALC in July.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Pluto, can you please describe the whine you were hearing? particularly under what circumstances you would notice it the most? I ask because since attempting to use the frankly dangerous "launch control" our cars are equipped with I hear a noticeable whine from the rear end under some circumstances. In particular it seems to whine when I am coasting along (down a slight hill typically) but still have the throttle depressed very slightly (like 3-5% to hold a steady speed). This may be normal and perhaps I just didn't notice it previously (almost always leave the radio on), but if it matches your description I should definitely get it checked before the warranty expires. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I have 1LE complete rear end in my car put in by dealer. It is all under factory warranty. Only thing we are waiting for is for the CALC to be loaded as soon as it is approved. So right now I drive 5 miles over speed limit in town and 8 on highway. Should have the CALC in July.
If you dont mind me asking, how much did that run? I really want that, but want to keep my warranty.
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Pluto

The whining noise I experience is at its loudest going 42 mph in 4th gear. The noise doesn't occur in first or second gear though. A little update on the service, I'm told ANOTHER 5 days to get parts and 2 days to fix it. So if that's the case, next Friday my car might finally be fixed. I'm told they're rebuilding the whole differential.

See I took my car in for an oil change and for the diff noise. The first time they put 13 miles on the car and I was told that the guy who "looked" at it wasn't qualified for the fix so the "transmission" guy had to look at it. They had my car from 8am-5pm. After a week, I call back to see if I can take my car back since they haven't called me. I take it in and from 8:30am-2pm/3 miles I'm told that Ill need to wait 5 days for parts and 2 days to get it fixed. I've been very patient, but I feel it's running thin.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Pluto

Oh yeah NotYetLegend, I forgot to mention that it is in fact under about 3-5% throttle...if that. Either way I would take it in because any kind of whine isn't normal.