Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #617
yellowLS
Youtube: Exotic Review

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow LS
Just an FYI to people who dont know.

Ferrari and Lamborghini NO LONGER MAKE TRUE MANUAL CARS.

They all use the Double Clutch F1 Paddle technology.

I only drive fine exotics....and a Camaro....
yellowLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #618
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
What if adding the auto option drives the price of both up since extra R&D and manufacturing costs will be incurred? Are you Manual guys willing to pay extra to give people who can't (or won't) drive a stick an auto option?

IMO, a 550HP Camaro is NOT a daily driver. You shouldn't own this car if you want to be a passenger in the driver's seat.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #619
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowLS View Post
Just an FYI to people who dont know.

Ferrari and Lamborghini NO LONGER MAKE TRUE MANUAL CARS.

They all use the Double Clutch F1 Paddle technology.
Whats a true manual car? If you've ever driven one, theres a bigger difference (in my opinion) between the "slap shifters" or button shifting automatics and a true paddle shifter than there is between a "true manual" and a paddle shifter. If they put a real paddle shifter in there I'd be all for it, but lets be realistic- they aren't going to- they are going to adapt an auto tranny from one of their other cars (or just use the SS one since it appears to handle the power without a problem). I wouldnt believe a paddle shifter is what they are referring to when they talk about an automatic option... unless someone ahs reason to tell me otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
What if adding the auto option drives the price of both up since extra R&D and manufacturing costs will be incurred? Are you Manual guys willing to pay extra to give people who can't (or won't) drive a stick an auto option?

IMO, a 550HP Camaro is NOT a daily driver. You shouldn't own this car if you want to be a passenger in the driver's seat.
I don't think most people consider the cost factor... the amount of "I dont want it, but why not for the people that do???" is exactly that. Is there enough people willing to buy one to make it worthwhile to incure the millions its going to cost in R&D and retooling work?
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #620
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Well my additional .02 cents on this subject, at two recent NATIONAL drag strip competitions; SuperChevy Show (Palm Beach International Raceway) and more recently LSX Challenge Series 5TH Gen ShootOut (Atlanta), both 1st Place Winners were driving A6's . (( I was 2nd place at both events, and I have A6)

Oh and lets not forget PQ vs GTAHVIT grudge match at CF II, the winner a A6......................
Well after tune autos shift as fast as manuals without making any mistakes..
When driving a fast car that gets to redline in first in almost a second its hard to shift at same point or sometimes shift without hitting rev limiter. Pretty much every drag car you see running 9s and faster is auto.. and a lot 10s cars are autos too..
This why I said chevy needs to make a fast shifting tranny that shits in .1 or less seconds.

I still preffer manuals more control and fun.. but i think chevy sells more autos then manuals especially since the average buyer age of the camaro is probably 40 and married..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #621
dove92

Drives: 1991 ford explorer
Hey if it boost sales of the car and keeps the camaro around longer i dont care. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean alot of other people wont, and just because someone buys it cause they have the money doesnt mean they are any different. we should welcome all in the camaro family and have a little fun with eachother like Pq and gtahvit
dove92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #622
bayouboy
Tony

Drives: Cyber Gray '11 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to bayouboy
I'm a rare case. I love manual but due to physical limitations ( bad right arm and bad left ankle) I cannot " grind gears". I would only be able to buy if it came in auto. :(
I know it takes away from the true spirit of a car like this. But I'd rather have an auto than no car at all

Last edited by bayouboy; 04-26-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added to comment
bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #623
PaceSS
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro Z4Z Indy 500 Pace Car
Yes, enough said!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #624
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
I'm surprised we're not having the opposite discussion: should a manual be available on the ZL-1? Since most Corvettes sold are automatics and by far most passenger cars, we're lucky they're still making manual transmissions at all.
I wonder what the added cost is to make an automatic available. Can't they just use whatever the Corvettes or CTS-Vs use? Maybe that would make the car too expensive. People are whining now that there might not be an automatic; imagine the furor if the auto was a $3,000 option.
So I'm going to have to vote no. I wouldn't get an auto and I wouldn't want to subsidize auto transmission development.
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #625
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouboy View Post
I'm a rare case. I love manual but due to physical limitations ( bad right arm and bad left ankle) I cannot " grind gears". I would only be able to buy if it came in auto. :(
I know it takes away from the true spirit of a car like this. But I'd rather have an auto than no car at all
^This.

Everyone who says your a panzy,an embarassment, or a crappy driver for having an auto, can quite frankly STFU.

What about our guys coming back from the desert, with only one leg?

What about someone who has been paralyzed?

So its not there right to have the opportunity to own one of these cars, all because it "takes away from the spirit of the car"??

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #626
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
I'm officially embarassed that so many camaro owners are supporting an auto. If I met someone with a ZL1 and it was automatic I would probably be polite, but chuckle as i walked away for being a rich fake. The most common question I get with my camaro is "is it a stick?" and when I answer "yes", the response is almost always "Thank goodness- I can't believe how many people buy autos!"

Why buy a sports car if your not going to drive it like a sports car. Want an auto? Go buy a caddy or a mercedes. they are more comfortable anyway.

(not trying to be a hater, just being honest!)... The only exception in my mind are the people who buy it specifically for drag and back it up with extensive modifications. for DD use, show use, or most anything else, I'm hard pressed to support it.
Reason my dad went with auto. Bad arthritis he didnt want to be slamming on clutch and banging gears on drag strip..
But seeing that other guys post..there are people disabled that should have same availability to have a car. Im in military I know people missing legs and arms.. why should they be stuck having to buy a civic..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #627
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
It's no one's "right" to own a Camaro. There are plenty of other automatics available.
A company can't cater to everyone's specific need, tragic though it may be.
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #628
chevyguy

Drives: 2010 ss/rs and 94 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
I couldn't imagine ordering a ZL1 with an auto, but I voted yes. Why not, for those that want it.
Agreed !!
chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #629
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
This is on the homepage? Must be a slow news day...

I voted yes btw ...for dragging purposes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #630
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore68 View Post
It's no one's "right" to own a Camaro. There are plenty of other automatics available.
A company can't cater to everyone's specific need, tragic though it may be.
I voted no I don't want an auto but if they stop catering everyone's needs the manual prob be gone. They sell more auto Camaros then manual