Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #57
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
QUOTE:
"Pedders is concerned with the amount of actual coil/damper travel wh some of the coils being used. The OE dampers do not allow a lot of travel, and dropping it 1 to 1.5 inches will put you on the bump stops all the time. This is not good for long term durability.Might look good for the sort term, but when you blow out your struts and have to replace them, you will not be a happy camper."

I had the Eibach 1" springs installed several weeks ago and have not had any issues with bottoming out on the bumpstops. Several other members have also installed the 1" springs and have had no issues....why do you say that this will "put you on the bump stops all the time"??? I have hit dips in roads,dirt roads w/washboard,etc and absolutely no problems at all. Are you sure that this statement is true/correct with 1" springs?
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #58
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickss View Post
Nice Camaro but it looks stock to me, needs a drop of 1.25" F & 1.50" to look perfect
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #59
cajun2010

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
im ordering the Eibach as soon as my car comes in. I cant afford to go extremely low in Louisiana, but the Pro Kit looks like it fixes a bit of the gap!!
cajun2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #60
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun2010 View Post
im ordering the Eibach as soon as my car comes in. I cant afford to go extremely low in Louisiana, but the Pro Kit looks like it fixes a bit of the gap!!
Yes, they do fix the gap problem. I had the Eibach 1" springs installed and my car looks as if it sits slightly lower than the OP's. Even with my much wider wheels and tires i have NO clearance issues and have never had any bottoming out issues ....and i have NOT trimmed the bumpstops.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #61
Aaron Pfadt
Pfadt Race Engineering

Drives: 7.0 Liters of Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
We do not believe in installing a rear sway bar first. This will in fact assist in understeer. But the majority of you lokng at a minimum approach should not be approaching understeer concerns, but should be attacking body role, which is far more dominant that the eccessive amount of understeer. To attack both understeer and body roll, 2 sway bars are required for the Camaro.

mike
dms
This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of vehicle dynamics. Either a larger front bar or a larger rear bar will increase roll stiffness in the car. This limits body roll and increases the vehicle response. Front vs rear becomes a question of balance. Adding roll stiffness to the rear removes some of the loading from the outside front tire and keeps it from overloading (and losing grip) at the cornering limit. That increases front grip and reduces understeer. That is why our Pfadt 'Balance Bar' package is so good. It is a single inexpensive upgrade that decreases body roll, increases grip, and reduces understeer. This is the swaybar that GM should have put on the Camaro from the factory.

Our Pfadt 'Sport Bar' package builds on this by adding a front bar and increases roll stiffness even further. The sport package also provides 3-way adjustability in the rear for fine tuning.

-Aaron
Aaron Pfadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #62
nalinc23

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6MT
Hello, I am new to the Camaro world and have only had Japanese cars in the past (G35, Civic SI, etc) and had a question:

On my past cars it was considered a "no-no" to buy aggressive aftermarket springs and leave the stock shocks/struts due to reducing the life of them. Is that not the case with the Camaro? If so, great, huge savings $$$ wise. Also a camber kit was immediately essential with the SI...not neccesary here? Thanks

Noob-Nate
nalinc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #63
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Looks Good!

Have had my Eibach springs/sways for a while and love the handling improvement!

1" drop has little issues associated with it. When you go to 1.5 and beyond you may have component issues, but fixes are already out there.

You are right, stock shocks will wear out faster with lowering springs, but Koni, Eibach, & others should have their shocks out in Q1 of 2010. Hope mine last!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #64
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt View Post
This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of vehicle dynamics. Either a larger front bar or a larger rear bar will increase roll stiffness in the car. This limits body roll and increases the vehicle response. Front vs rear becomes a question of balance. Adding roll stiffness to the rear removes some of the loading from the outside front tire and keeps it from overloading (and losing grip) at the cornering limit. That increases front grip and reduces understeer. That is why our Pfadt 'Balance Bar' package is so good. It is a single inexpensive upgrade that decreases body roll, increases grip, and reduces understeer. This is the swaybar that GM should have put on the Camaro from the factory.

Our Pfadt 'Sport Bar' package builds on this by adding a front bar and increases roll stiffness even further. The sport package also provides 3-way adjustability in the rear for fine tuning.

-Aaron
You are correct in that increasing the sizes of either bar will improve roll stiffness. The concerns we have with just the larger bar in the rear is the primary focues of reducing understeer and introducing potential oversteer, before all the front body roll is done. Front body roll is far more concerning for the entry level driver who just wants to improve the "twisties" performance, and will never drive it hard enough to in fact induce oversteer. But adding a monster rear bzr, can get somneone into oversteer easily if they are not careful. This is our concern with safety. Even with our Pedders Solution C package that has a 27mm 4 way adjustable bar for the front and a 32mm solid adjustable bar for the rear, this setup can be adjusted to induce more oversteer potential and can get a little wild for the novice driver. Oversteer is far more difficult to control versus understeer.

Pedders now has a CamaroSolutionD Package for those up and coming novice drivers. If you are learning your perfor4nmance driving skills and will be doing some autocrossing, or track days, your Solution D package will give you 2 different sway bars: a 27mm for normal street play, and a 322mm for the track and autocrossing. It takes Zprobably less than 20 minutes to swap out the bars

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote