Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
jesse454545

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS
Talking WHICH ARE THE TOP OF THE LINE TURBOS AND S/C ?

Okay I finally decided to put in some more power into my V6 but was just wondering which is the best to put in a S/C or a turbo set up and then which one would be the best one to pick. I have done my research and there's a lot of turbos and S/C out there and i just to want to spend all that money on one that's not going to last or out perform itself. Thanks for the help
jesse454545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
You have many options just depends what you want and what kind of power you are looking for. FYI, stay away from the STS kit. Many here been having issues with it. You have 2 SC options RX and IPF. And 2 turbo options HPS and RX. You did your research so do you want brute power or gradual power?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
jesse454545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
You have many options just depends what you want and what kind of power you are looking for. FYI, stay away from the STS kit. Many here been having issues with it. You have 2 SC options RX and IPF. And 2 turbo options HPS and RX. You did your research so do you want brute power or gradual power?
I am more of an Electrical guy so not to sure what you mean with Brute power
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Well the supercharger that both companies use is a centrifugal supercharger so that means that the power comes on as the RPMs climb. So you make more boost and power higher in the rpm range. Turbos will produce their boost as soon as they spool. So they produce a lot of their power lower in the RPM range and hold it all the way to redline. So it depends on what you like that will help you choose what you want.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse454545 View Post
I am more of an Electrical guy so not to sure what you mean with Brute power
Down low. Torque. Builds like a beast from there. Roots-style blower (coming soon!), turbo set-up, both do this.

Centrifugal blower is sort of gradual and peaky. Hit 4500 rpm and it's game on.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
There you go Johnny and ls gave great examples. ^^^

Turbo systems are messy and require more maintenance than a SC to be honest. BUT to be even more honest hold out to see if a root style SC hits the streets soon. There is one in suppose development by RX. I would trade my TT's for a root system.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Whats a root system SC?
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
jesse454545

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Well the supercharger that both companies use is a centrifugal supercharger so that means that the power comes on as the RPMs climb. So you make more boost and power higher in the rpm range. Turbos will produce their boost as soon as they spool. So they produce a lot of their power lower in the RPM range and hold it all the way to redline. So it depends on what you like that will help you choose what you want.
So why dont just people go with turbos if it produces alot of power on the low end of the RPM and it holds it?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Whats a root system SC?
A roots supercharger is the type of supercharger that is mounted on top of the engine. Like you see with the kenne bell, magnuson, and whipple superchargers for the v8. The benefit to a roots over a centri is that they make a lot of torque down low so you get that instant torque feeling you don't get with a centri. I'd honestly love a good roots system. But after seeing a lot of the problems members have had with their kits and my car being a DD, I'd rather go with the proven system. Although I will say that if someone comes up with a proven and trouble free roots system, that's where my money will be going

Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse454545 View Post
So why dont just people go with turbos if it produces alot of power on the low end of the RPM and it holds it?
Because turbos also require a lot more maintenance than a supercharger. And the tuning aspect just isn't completely ironed out yet for them.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Because turbos also require a lot more maintenance than a supercharger. And the tuning aspect just isn't completely ironed out yet for them.
If the turbo is done correctly it doesn't require any extra maintenance.... I have two EcoBoost vehicles in my driveway, for a total of 3 turbos and I don't need any extra or special maintenance...

Actually if you go with certain supercharger models they have their own self contained oil system that has to be changed (extra maintenance).
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
If the turbo is done correctly it doesn't require any extra maintenance.... I have two EcoBoost vehicles in my driveway, for a total of 3 turbos and I don't need any extra or special maintenance...

Actually if you go with certain supercharger models they have their own self contained oil system that has to be changed (extra maintenance).
This, I actually feel that my SC system may be more maintenance than a Turbo, but its ALL about the TUNE, and the turbo guys are still having problems there.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post

Yeah except those are factory turbos and I guarantee a ton more R&D dollars have been put into it than any of the V6 FI options. Now that's not to say that afternarket can't be as goid/reliable..

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Here is a video thread on some of the RX cars:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259858
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
super charger, turbo, twin