Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
chevrolet.com/camaro has 123ft for the SS.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
chevrolet.com/camaro has 123ft for the SS.
it also says that it still only gets 23 (22 for the manual) mpg.

watch the video above. Al Oppenheiser is the Camaro Chief Engineer & he states that 117ft (or less) is for the SS. i highly doubt figures that have been previously released are going to be revised with numbers showing degraded performance
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
rmbrady

Drives: 68 camaro
I hope for the Camaro's sake that the SS brakes better than 123 from 60. Motortrend got 108 ft in the 2010 Mustang.
rmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
it also says that it still only gets 23 (22 for the manual) mpg.

watch the video above. Al Oppenheiser is the Camaro Chief Engineer & he states that 117ft (or less) is for the SS. i highly doubt figures that have been previously released are going to be revised with numbers showing degraded performance
Not in the chart. It has the correct MPG in the chart. It's just the graphics that have the old estimated stuff.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It'd be nicer to see 117-feet but it's not like it's too big a deal. However, when you think about it, a few feel could be all that keep one from stuffing the front of their Camaro into the back of another car...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I was a little surprised too since Brembos are supposed to make performance brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
could aways be better.... for a price
Retro rockets perhaps?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
My idea would be throw in some more aggressive pads, maybe some vented and drilled rotors. If you need more than that you are looking at some serious money. I would think those two upgrades would make an improvement.
You could put on stainless brake lines also. That should be more than enough for any of us regular folks. Maybe racing would require more.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
You really arent going to get huge gains worth the money in braking distance. That number (be it 125 or 117) is extremely good. However the benefit of better brakes is less fade. So it stops just as well on the 20th stop as the 1st, when you are driving "spiritedly".

The Stock Brembos are VERY good brakes, and you will have to spend a WHOLE LOT of money to upgrade them significantly. There are lots of things you can do to make them better as is, such as brake cooling. I believe the SS has brake ducts from the front grill similar to the Vette, if not I'm SURE someone will build them eventually. As well slotted and drilled rotors help dissipate heat more. Finally steel braided lines (if it doesnt already have them) help keep even constant pressure all the time, and prevents against lines bursting. Those things are more than enough for any street driving or even HPDE and Autocross type of events. You will not get any sort of significant gains otherwise without spending BIG bucks, and if you are driving on the street and need that sort of braking, you are trying very hard for a Camaro shaped coffin.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #23
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Retro rockets perhaps?
I like you thinking

Until then, a set of Hawk HPS or HP+ pads should bring the stopping distance down a few feet, as long as you don't mind cleaning your wheels once every two weeks.

For more stopping power, the CTS-V brakes sound like a viable solution, but I haven't done any research yet to see if they fit...

Unfortunately this car is too new for anyone to be making aftermarket caliper brackets, which are widely available for the 4th Gen. It will be awhile before the assortment of aftermarket parts catches up with the 4th Gens...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #24
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Finally steel braided lines (if it doesnt already have them) help keep even constant pressure all the time, and prevents against lines bursting.
Just be sure that the lines have the vinyl coating around them to keep little particle of dirt from finding their way into the steel weave and wearing down the inside rubber liner...

Once again, the aftermarket for this car will take some time to develop as well as some time for people to test the new parts and find out which ones are designed well and which ones need a little re-design...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #25
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I was a little surprised too since Brembos are supposed to make performance brakes.

Retro rockets perhaps?
you gotta remember tho.... this is a 4000 lb vehicle moving at 60mph... (or higher in most of our cases) to 0mph. i wanna see what the chally and the rustang do in the same test.

and actually, I was thinking a dragline or something. retractable chutes or something along those lines.... lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #26
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
^^^Yeah, it's hard to believe the Challenger at more weight and skinnier tires could match the Camaro. And I guarantee the brembos will not fade!

I like the chute idea, not too expensive and talk about impressing onlookers!!!