Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
tanur420

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
suspension issues- advice needed

About a month ago I installed bmr 1" drop all the way around. Bmr full pro bushing kit, trailing arms, adjustable sways, end links, adjustable toe rods, rear shortened lca for lowered applications. Everything seemed to be fine after I got aligned to bmr street specs.

Well about a week ago I started hearing a loud thumping noise. Generally only when going under 20 mph, coasting braking, sometimes turning. Sounded like something was loose coming from the driver side. Almost like the sway bar was hitting something or maybe my exhaust was loose.I crawled under the car and couldn't see anything loose so was gonna jack it up this weekend and look more in depth.

Well today when leaving work, the parking lot exit is at an extreme angle downwards and to the right, so I occasionally gp on three wheels since I lowered it, as I was leaving I heard a lpud popping sound from the driver side fender well. I immediately stopped and crawled under but couldn't see anything. Well I babied it to the house only about 3 miles away. When I got there I crawled under again.and still cant find anything. Though.I did notice the front driver side seems to be sitting almost an inch lower then the other side.

So at this point im looking for any ideas where to start looking?
Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I'd give a very close inspection of your front sway bar, end links, and front strut installation. Something is definitely wrong/broken, but without being there with you, it's not easy to troubleshoot from here!!!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
tanur420

Well took it to a friend of a friend who works at an alignment/suspension shop. He said almost every bolt was finger tight at best. Passenger rear strut was hanging on by half a thread of a bolt. Subframe.bushings.were about to fall out. All the nuts.on the endlinks were free spinning. Lca, trailing arms etc were all not.tight. took him 4 hours to.tighten everything up. Idk how they got like that as we tightened to specified torque when we instAlled about a month ago...still think I may hear a little chatter from the back. But could be something in my trunk. A bit paranoid atm lol. He said another day or two and strut probably woulda came off.while driving
Old 04-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanur420 View Post
Well took it to a friend of a friend who works at an alignment/suspension shop. He said almost every bolt was finger tight at best. Passenger rear strut was hanging on by half a thread of a bolt. Subframe.bushings.were about to fall out. All the nuts.on the endlinks were free spinning. Lca, trailing arms etc were all not.tight. took him 4 hours to.tighten everything up. Idk how they got like that as we tightened to specified torque when we instAlled about a month ago...still think I may hear a little chatter from the back. But could be something in my trunk. A bit paranoid atm lol. He said another day or two and strut probably woulda came off.while driving
WOW!! I hope he used loctite this time around.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
+1 for Loctite.

I had a couple bolts start to come undone on my rear bar because I didn't use it the first time around...

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Yes, definitely Loctite!!! We recommend a couple drops of the Blue Loctite on the threads of ALL suspension bolts!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
tanur420

If they come loose again I will.loctite it. I wasnt there and he put an impact on it at I beleive he said 300lbs to get it really tight
Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
tanur420

I didnt see loctite on the instructions or I would have picked up a tube when I did the install :/
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
tanur420

Definitely still hearing some noise from rear. Mostly when turning
Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
BMR Sales

Quote:
If they come loose again I will.loctite it. I wasnt there and he put an impact on it at I beleive he said 300lbs to get it really tight
Quote:
Definitely still hearing some noise from rear. Mostly when turning
He might have over-tighted some stuff, 300 lbs. is too much for just about anything under there!!! You don't want to compress your bushings too much!!! Use the recommended torque and use Loctite. Torque-wrenches are your friend!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
tanur420

So take all the bolts he tightened out loctite and then torque to specs..that sounds like a pita
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Four hours to tighten bolts is a bullshit line unless he took a 3 hour brake between sides.

I tightened all my BMR components (LCA's, trailing arms, toe rods, drag sway bar, and all bushings including UCA's) with german snatch standards (gudentight) and have never had anything loose except the swaybar which I bought used and had the wrong bolts.

I've put 10,000 miles and had to pull the rear end out twice where I unbolt all components from the hub and pull the axle,hub,disc out as an assembly to swap the diff for gears/broken spiders.... nothing was ever loose and I used no loctite.

Sounds like you may have had a faulty torque wrench. If it was a harbor freight deal junk it.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #13
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
So take all the bolts he tightened out loctite and then torque to specs..that sounds like a pita
Yes to both.

But you have a choice of doing it the right way or having potential chatter, noise and failure by doing it the wrong way.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
timshifty

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
i want to let you know I have the same exact problem only I have no clue what they did to the car because I purchased it this way. I am going to take it in to have it looked at later this week. I have a rattle when I go over bumps from the right front somewhere and mine seems like something is loose. Maybe they lowered it themselves and things have come loose?
Keep us updated!
timshifty is offline   Reply With Quote