Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
beerman985
lets kick some pony ass

Drives: 00 trans-am,06 corvette-z06
Send a message via AIM to beerman985
super or turbo

wich one well make more power a superchager or a pair of turbos
beerman985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
There's a LOT of variables here, it's hard to be that vague about it.

And saying "a pair of turbos" alone is kinda iffy. There are so many combinations of usage of forced induction, that it's not so much which makes more power, but which is the best for your application.

I'm a boost junkie, I love everything about forced induction.

Supercharges have a few different variable...depending on the style of blower you're using. Roots style, for example, offers the best low-end-instant power, but tends to be tough to make big top-end power out of (without having a ridiculous $20,000 unit).

But the generalization is, big motors that want huge torque numbers can use an easy to install and low-maintenance supercharger.

Turbos also have variables, though not as wide a spectrum of superchargers. For example, for biiiig HP numbers, you use one large turbo, but you will have no gain at all in low-end power, as a matter of fact you stand to lose low-end due to tuning for the power that it makes once it does spool up.

Using two smaller twin-turbos will likely spool up rather quickly, but you will not be able to make the power that a large single or medium supercharger can make.

Being dangerously general about it, superchargers offer instant gratification, are easy to install, and generally require no maintenance.

Turbos are more difficult to install, require oil feeds (and even a slight loss of oil spells instant death for a hot, spooled turbo), are more expensive, but offer the best efficiency gains and are infinitely interchangeable to find the set-up that best suits your needs.

I prefer turbos, personally...the sky is the limit with a turbo, once you get through the fabrication of the initial installation. You can make the most power out of a budget turbo system compared to an equally-priced supercharger, IF you know what you're doing when putting it together/tuning it.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
Pound for Pound of boost a turbo will make more power. S/C have an inherent parasitic loss...they require HP from your motor to spin, whereas turbos work off non-mechanical power...exhaust gases. If you want a car that basically looks and sounds stock go with a TT. If you don't mind a high rise hood and the blower whine go with a roots style blower. I would not recommend a centrifugal blower set up due to belt slipping/shredding issues and the fact that the most significant portion of the HP/TQ gain is in the top 1/3 of your RPM range.

Having had a TT car I can tell you that they are as tame as a stocker and completely undetectable...until you step on it. I had a guy on Kawasaki R900 pull up at a light and gun it...want to play. I gave him the nod. He dug me out of the hole for the first 150 feet at which time I reeled him in and changed from the far right lane to the far left lane. He was in the center lane and about that time he started looking back over his right should to see how far back I was just as I blew past him on the left. When we got to the next light the guy was just shaking his head in disbelief. We entered a six lane divided hwy (3X3) and did a couple of roll ons from 60MPH. I put 20 cars on him each time up to about 175MPH.

P.S. - I didn't do this regularly, nor do I recommend it. At the time the streets were empty...just me and him.

Also, there are several TT kits out there that will give you in the neighborhood of 600RWHP for less than $9000 professionally installed and tuned.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
beerman985
lets kick some pony ass

damn that is pretty BA smoken a CR in a drag.? what kind were u doing this in. i race auto cross and just got a honda and thanking about maken a tuner out of. i beat a kawasaki zr 100 (i thank that was what it was) in an auto cross race usen a vette.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'll chime in here...Personally I prefer N/A, naturally aspirated, but if I had to chose, I'd probably go super - just because it's easier to install and is cheap. If I was serious about my car, and was going to track race it everyday, I'd DEFINITLY go turbo. but like I said, all your everyday street-racer needs is a super (according to me )
Old 06-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
"offer the best efficiency gains"

Turbos are awesome. The sound they make, the fact that nobody knows they are there until the engine rev's.... Super chargers suck.. they suck down your mileage because they are constantly needing power to be worked. and can only go as fast as the engine. because of the belt drive.

Not saying turbo's don't have their draw backs. but i'll take one any day.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

So would I, I've just heard, they're a bite in the ass to install...
Correct me, please....
Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
beerman985
lets kick some pony ass

yea i helped a friend put a kit in his civic we had to take off the hood, fenders and dril a hole for a oil line in the pan for the turbo.He got 113 hp at 5500 rpm. and i was a pain in the ass to install as ul said
Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman985 View Post
yea i helped a friend put a kit in his civic we had to take off the hood, fenders and dril a hole for a oil line in the pan for the turbo.He got 113 hp at 5500 rpm. and i was a pain in the ass to install as ul said
I have 113 hp with my front 2 cylinders alone!!! N/A!!! hahah
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
I have 113 hp with my front 2 cylinders alone!!! N/A!!! hahah
Front two cyllinders alone huh...you should be proud! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman985 View Post
Really, a civic only got 113 hp turboed?:eek: Oh...right! That's why I don't buy them! Almost forgot, silly me.
And that's what I thought. I don't want to be touching my fenders, or drilling holes. Give me a belt and some bolts, and a 400hp N/A fire-breather, and I'll teach those turbos a lesson they won't soon forget.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #11
beerman985
lets kick some pony ass

he has 324 horspower out of the car and well make a 1/4 in about 13 sec with nos
Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Turbos and S/C'ers are the bomb. If I had a choice, I'd probably go w/ a turbo. Although I've ridden in an 01 TA S/C'ed. I talked about that before...it was awesome. He's the guy that broke his crank. Yeah...I don't care. I'd put in a turbo OR a S/C'er in a split second. That would be an extra...what...125hp depending on size of turbo? Hell YEAH!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:33 AM   #13
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
If nothing else mattered like emissions qualifications or difficulty of install or any thing like that, turbo would be the way to go.

Since all of that is a factor I prefer to be twin screwed.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:17 AM   #14
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I'm a KISS kind of guy. Keep it simple stupid. NA means less math and less stuff to break. Power wise though you can't beat a turbo. Even nitrous has a tough time making as much power as a turbo.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote